immac

Senior Member Has-Been
New terror warning
From today's SABAH Newspaper in Turkey.

England warns its citizens against terror in Turkey

British Ministry of Foreign Affairs Foreign Travel Information Service has shown Turkey as one of the most 27 dangerous countries to visit due to possible terrorist attacks. Ministry of Foreign Affairs has sent a letter to tour operators, putting Turkey among risky countries to visit such as Afghanistan, Lebanon and Iraq. The letter indicated English victims of the last terrorist attack (HSBC Bank and English Consulate bombing on November 23, 2004) in Istanbul and asked travel agencies and tour operators to warn their customers about the high risk of terror before they confirm any reservations.

New terror warning
immac said:
From today's SABAH Newspaper in Turkey.

England warns its citizens against terror in Turkey

British Ministry of Foreign Affairs Foreign Travel Information Service has shown Turkey as one of the most 27 dangerous countries to visit due to possible terrorist attacks. Ministry of Foreign Affairs has sent a letter to tour operators, putting Turkey among risky countries to visit such as Afghanistan, Lebanon and Iraq. The letter indicated English victims of the last terrorist attack (HSBC Bank and English Consulate bombing on November 23, 2004) in Istanbul and asked travel agencies and tour operators to warn their customers about the high risk of terror before they confirm any reservations.
27 countries at risk and getting higher all the time.
After the London tube bombings they consider going there is risky too
The recent problems in India re terror alerts at airports have now brought that country into play.
Where shall we go next
Antarctica looks nice!!!

canim

New terror warning
We got sent a list of places we had to 'advise' about terrorist threats to our customers, (I work in business travel)

yes Turkey was on the list, but so was the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Egypt etc etc .. i could go on!!

The listings are sent round to the travel companies, so that they are covered incase any 'activity' takes place... they have officially told their customers, that attacks are possible.

if you check on the FCO website, the threat level for Turkey has not changed.

Last edited:
New terror warning
canim said:
We got sent a list of places we had to 'advise' about terrorist threats to our customers, (I work in business travel)

yes Turkey was on the list, but so was the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Egypt etc etc .. i could go on!!

The listings are sent round to the travel companies, so that they are covered incase any 'activity' takes place... they have officially told their customers, that attacks are possible.

if you check on the FCO website, the threat level for Turkey has not changed.
Thanks Canim
a sensible realistic comment as it wont be long before every country is included!
A month is a long time in the terrorist world so who knows!!
I aint going to wreck my life and freedom worrying about it 24 hours a day

mavi

New terror warning
warnings or not..S**T happens in every country!!

my one and only sister was murdered in paris almost 5 yrs ago whilst there for a 'romantic weekend'

take care, keep a lookout...but at the end of the day - we cant become reclusives...no where is safe!

jcrian

New terror warning
mavi said:
warnings or not..S**T happens in every country!!

my one and only sister was murdered in paris almost 5 yrs ago whilst there for a 'romantic weekend'

take care, keep a lookout...but at the end of the day - we cant become reclusives...no where is safe!

You never think it is going to happen to you or one of your friends or family.
This happened to my brother recently.They used a base ball bat and he ended up in hospital with a broken jaw,operation to have two plates inserted and jaw wired together for the next 6 weeks.

DID YOU SEE BRICKET WOOD ASSAULT?
By Susie ODea

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted in Bricket Wood on Sunday October 22.

The incident occurred in Russell Court around 11pm. A 57-year-old man from Buckinghamshire noticed a group of youths standing near his unoccupied vehicle. When he approached and spoke with the youths, he noticed two men alight from a nearby light coloured vehicle. The man turned to walk away and suffered a number of blows to his head. He fell to the ground and received another series of blows to his face. The offenders then entered the vehicle and made off in an unknown direction.

Offender one is described as a white man, approximately 5’10” tall, of slim build, aged in his late teens/early 20s. He had short black hair. Offender two is described as a black male.

The remaining group are described as all white, one male aged 18-19 years, around 5’, with long hair; a female around 16-18 years old and 5’ tall, with short black hair; and another male. These people may not have been involved in the assault but may have witnessed it, and police would urge them to get in touch as soon as possible.

DC Andy Boyer of the Area Crime Unit said: “This was a vicious and thuggish attack on a man who was simply safeguarding his property. To assault him when his back was turned was a particularly cowardly act.

“We would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time or who may have seen the offenders either arrive at or leave the scene.”

Anyone with information should contact DC Boyer on 01707 638 8237 or telephone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Your call will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
New terror warning
Wont put us off going to Turkey. I still feel a lot safer there than at home.
I remember saying to my wife last summer when all the bomb attacks were happening, that we'd just be extra vigilant and keep clear of the obvious places. We weren't vigilant of course, nor did we avoid anywhere. We just relaxed as usual.

Last edited:

Pennie

New terror warning
peter the postie said:
I remember saying to my wife last summer when all the bomb attacks were happening, that we'd just be extra vigilant and keep clear of the obvious places. We weren't vigilant of course, nor did we avoid anywhere. We just relaxed as usual.

Well said Peter

Pennie xx

New terror warning
peter the postie said:
I can never understand the knee jerk reaction of "we want to go home" or " we are cancelling our holiday" following a bomb or similar episode in that country.
You are probably safer actually going on holiday there or continuing your holiday there because once they have struck the bombers are as likely to move on to the place you have rebooked to go to. Look at the devastation to Sharm-el-sheikh in Egypt when everyone cancelled and nothing has happened since!
I suppose nobody wants to go to India now since the terrorist security alert at their airports.
As one of our forum members said Spain and the UK are on the list too so we had better not stay at home either!!!

Guz1

New terror warning
Mavi: So tragic to lose your sister in such circumstances. You have my sympathy.

JCrian: I hope your brother will recover from that awful attack. It seems nowhere is safe any more.

Changing your travel plans because of terror alerts is a signal to terrorists that their strategy is working. I just carry on as usual and hope for the best.

Maria.

New terror warning
Guz1 said:
Mavi: So tragic to lose your sister in such circumstances. You have my sympathy.

JCrian: I hope your brother will recover from that awful attack. It seems nowhere is safe any more.

Changing your travel plans because of terror alerts is a signal to terrorists that their strategy is working. I just carry on as usual and hope for the best.

Maria.
Well said Maria

mavi

New terror warning
Jcrian, that is terrible about ur brother, I hope he is physically on the mend..i guess mentally, this will be much harder, over time, he will learn to live with it, but he will never get over it, neither will the family.. I also hope the police find the B who did it..keep us posted on his recovery..

thanks to all for ur kind comments...

regarding what Maria said - yes thats correct - it means they are winning if we give in or change plans etc..

look at london on 7/7 - people still go to work on that same route every day...they cannot stay at home..

maybe its just as well that we cant see whats around the corner..

New terror warning
Probably risk of being murdered in Glasgow is higher than bomb attack in Turkey.I know where I feel safer.

jackieeuk

New terror warning
im off to london monday, not by choice but a necessity and my worse fear is the underground that i have to use.
the thought of flying to Turkey in a week is thrilling but here ,home in England and having to go to London terrifys me and im going alone which makes it worse

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
New terror warning
"Probably risk of being murdered in Glasgow is higher than bomb attack in Turkey.I know where I feel safer".

Ah now, someone has eventually said the magic words 'feel safer' because that's the crux of it - that's what terrorism really is, the perception that we're in danger.

The chances of any of us being killed in a terror attack are very slight, but the subsequent media coverage is potent enough to cause economic havoc and the terrorists can lie low and not do anything else for a long time. 9/11 is an extreme but perfect example, because apart from that horrific day, there hasn't been another significant attack in the US, but the aftermath has been horrific, spreading widespread fear throughout the country and beyond.

It's exactly the same fear felt in the UK at the present time with regard to crime on our streets. It's not as bad as we think it is but the more we hear of incidents like JCrian's poor brother, the more frightened we get, and the more we play into these thugs' hands - because they are terrorists too don't forget.

It's hard to imagine how to rid society of these people short of finding a dozen or so Charles Bronson's as things have gone too far because of stupid stupid governments like Tony Blair's.

Anyway, back on track, I have always felt much more at ease in Turkey than at home, even during the time of the bombings, and there is just no comparison between the levels of 'ordinary crime' there and at home. In my view, the latter is due to a real respect from the young towards their elders and much stronger family values - compulsory military service has a lot to do with it as well.

Sometimes I feel that these terror incidents shouldn't be reported to any great significance, thereby hugely stifling the ability to terrorise, but that's so difficult now with the internet - just keep our wits about us and keep going is all we can do.

Mavi and JC, so sorry to hear of your sibling heartbreaks.

C

New terror warning
ceemac said:
"Probably risk of being murdered in Glasgow is higher than bomb attack in Turkey.I know where I feel safer".

Ah now, someone has eventually said the magic words 'feel safer' because that's the crux of it - that's what terrorism really is, the perception that we're in danger.

The chances of any of us being killed in a terror attack are very slight, but the subsequent media coverage is potent enough to cause economic havoc and the terrorists can lie low and not do anything else for a long time. 9/11 is an extreme but perfect example, because apart from that horrific day, there hasn't been another significant attack in the US, but the aftermath has been horrific, spreading widespread fear throughout the country and beyond.

It's exactly the same fear felt in the UK at the present time with regard to crime on our streets. It's not as bad as we think it is but the more we hear of incidents like JCrian's poor brother, the more frightened we get, and the more we play into these thugs' hands - because they are terrorists too don't forget.

It's hard to imagine how to rid society of these people short of finding a dozen or so Charles Bronson's as things have gone too far because of stupid stupid governments like Tony Blair's.

Anyway, back on track, I have always felt much more at ease in Turkey than at home, even during the time of the bombings, and there is just no comparison between the levels of 'ordinary crime' there and at home. In my view, the latter is due to a real respect from the young towards their elders and much stronger family values - compulsory military service has a lot to do with it as well.

Sometimes I feel that these terror incidents shouldn't be reported to any great significance, thereby hugely stifling the ability to terrorise, but that's so difficult now with the internet - just keep our wits about us and keep going is all we can do.

Mavi and JC, so sorry to hear of your sibling heartbreaks.

C
Ceemac what a brilliant post re terrorism
People react very quickly due to basically fear and thats what terrorists thrive on.
As you say the actual risk of being involved in a terrorist act is very small and there is a much greater risk of getting knocked down by a car or killed in a road accident .
When we get in our cars every day we dont suddenly alter our plans or worry about that ,do we?
Why then do we alter our plans,cancel holidays and shun places due to terrorism.
A forum member on here who was worried about about taking his child to Marmaris this summer wouldnt give a moments thought to taking them out in a car or going for a walk with them on a busy street.
I appreciate its all about experience but I cannot understand kneejerk reactions to terrorism by people who have never been directly involved or are ever likely to be!
A marvellous post Ceemac

jcrian

New terror warning
mavi said:
Jcrian, that is terrible about ur brother, I hope he is physically on the mend..i guess mentally, this will be much harder, over time, he will learn to live with it, but he will never get over it, neither will the family.. I also hope the police find the B who did it..keep us posted on his recovery..

thanks to all for ur kind comments...

regarding what Maria said - yes thats correct - it means they are winning if we give in or change plans etc..

look at london on 7/7 - people still go to work on that same route every day...they cannot stay at home..

maybe its just as well that we cant see whats around the corner..

Update on my brother.

He managed to remember the registration number of the car except for one letter.The police narrowed it down to three cars, two of which were in Wales on the night in question and the third locally.He has heard tonight that the police have located the car and found the girl that was at the scene.From her account of the incident they hope to trace the location of the two men who attacked him.

His jaw has been unwired but still has the metal plates in but not allowed to chew yet.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom