jakebeak

New puppy
Some neighbours of ours have adopted a street puppy. She's lovely, but in dire need of flea/lice/tick treatment. However, she's only about one month old. I have recommend Ali Durmuş to them, but I was just wondering what a puppy can have in the way of injections etc. at such a young age. Does anybody know?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
New puppy
They generally have to wait until they're 10 - 12 weeks old before have their injections. In the meantime the pup should be kept away from other dogs especially other street dogs. The biggest killer at this age is Distemper but she can't be vaccinated against it for a few weeks as the anti-bodies could have a detrimental effect on her.

She can be treated for fleas, lice etc straight away using Frontline. Ask the vet about the recommended dosage. She can also be bathed in a Flea Shampoo if she's badly infested. Again, ask the vet about which one is best for her.

Last edited:
New puppy
its always best to consult the vet and he can advise what injections she will need... maybe she is still a bit young yet so will have to remain inside as can easily contract parvo and distemper all the best glad she found a loving home

janA

New puppy
she may be older than one month (6 -7weeks) if she is well weaned. Turkish puppies tend to be small for their age as they dont get the best start in life.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
New puppy
New puppies are a joy and so much fun giveing hours of entertainment The puppy will need as follow vacs for =

Distemper
Adienovirus
Leptospirosis
Corona Virus
Giadia
Rabbies
& Parainfluenza

The vet will easily acess the puppys age . In hot countries Fleas and Ticks cause Heart worm & Lung worm Both of wich can kill the dog . Treatment of heart worm is Very expensive . Signs include coughing and excessive panting . However by this stage the condition is useualy well advanced . You can worm the puppy now Don't buy over the counter treatments get them from a Vet I advise do not allow puppy out doors untill After second vaccination . Vacs start age 6/8 wks with a booster every 3/4 wks untill 4 months of age . Please do ask the vet about Flea and Tick collers wich need to be replaced every 3 months . In the heat puppy can be wiped over with Lemon Water just befor a walk This sometimes Helps . also it cools pup down a bit . Do be careful in the heat as a dog can get sunstroke . In wich case Place cold water on the dogs head and feet and wrap ice in towels and place around the dog but vetinerinary Treatment should be sought immediatly . Now haveing said all of that its a good idea to take puppy along to a vets for a health check Keeping him off the ground and vets floor . Lastly theres a website called suite 101.com With lots of information . sorry i don.t no how to send a link i'm not comp lit !!! I hope i've been of some help . And wish puppy and owners a long and happy life together Diane

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
New puppy
Awww I'm so glad that this puppy has found a loving home, there's some good advice been posted already, just want to wish them all the best, they will have so much pleasure with their new friend.

New puppy
What a lucky pup to have found a loving home. We had only been living in Turkey for 10 days when we found a puppy abandoned half dead and crying on the pavement, she is now a happy and lively pup.

The advice you have received is spot on, just remind your neighbours that they must keep up with the flea/tick treatment and also the dog does need to be wormed regularly. Also booster injections every year.

Also the pup must be fed properly, we feed ours on Hills Science Plan Puppy which can be bought from the vets.

Sue

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
New puppy
Hi paddington Glad to hear you have a puppy . Have you noticed if the vets sell Royal canine . My little shih tzu only eats small Biscuit . and i worry about not finding her favorite food . Diane

jakebeak

New puppy
Hi there and thanks everybody for posting. The family have taken the puppy to our vet and all is well. She's very cute and he has treated her for mange. She's a little German Shepherd/Husky cross and is very affectionate. She's a lucky puppy!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom