SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
New law re 'commercial' vehicles??
We own a Doblo, which we know to be classified as a commercial vehicle as a result the speed limit is lower and the tax we pay is higher etc.

It has now been brought to our attention that there is now a new law for this class of vehicle stating that you must have a special license, in order to obtain this, assuming you have a turkish driving license, you have to go on a minimum of a 2 week course. As our Turkish is far from being fluent, I can't see us being able to do this.

We have people looking into this for us but was just wondering if someone on TLF has already come across this problem??????

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Are you talking about the equivalent of the Public Service Vehicle licence that applies to taxi drivers etc?

Ian

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
No. I am not sure what the official term is, but it is for another class of vehicle a bit like we have hgv etc. We are hoping to find out more over the next couple of days.

hijo

in my own clique
..think insurance will clasify it as a panel van....same applies with ..viza ..(mot ).. every year as opposed to a car every 3 years:37:

SonnyJim

Living in Paradise!
New driving heavy goods vehicle licence applies to camiyonets i.e.
Doblos ,Kangoos , Partners,in fact all van style estates with or without seats.
The good news is you can obtain such a licence by applying for and attending
a months course in Istanbul. The course will only be in the Turkish language,
which I realise a lot of you have mastered recently!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck guys, and tell your friends eh!:humble:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
If you're old like me, passed your test prior to 1st January 1997 and still hold a UK licence, you'll have that category on your licence by "grandfather rights"

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Where has this information on new laws come from?

Ian

If you have a regular British licence, then you are covered to drive this vehicle.....if anyone ever pulls you up about this...which is unlikely, then show your British licence. If he continues to cause a problem..which is also unlikely, just plead ignorance.
Dont worry about it.
Its not like the Turkish driving licence is anything special..my God, drive the car forward and backwards 100m or so and pass a silly paper exam.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
If you have a regular British licence, then you are covered to drive this vehicle.....if anyone ever pulls you up about this...which is unlikely, then show your British licence. If he continues to cause a problem..which is also unlikely, just plead ignorance.
Dont worry about it.
Its not like the Turkish driving licence is anything special..my God, drive the car forward and backwards 100m or so and pass a silly paper exam.

You can only drive on yourbritish licence for 12 months, then you must apply for a Turkish version, the police will still accept your brit licence but if you need to claim on your insurance, they will likely ask for your turkish licence, if you have not got one they could reject your claim

check out this weeks bodrum bulletin there is an article explaining how to obtain one.

martin

wow..thats me done for then...been driving in turkey for 12 years on a British licence. Have friends who have been driving for a lot longer..up to 18 yrs...and yes made insurance claims..and had no problems.

hijo

in my own clique
..i thought it was 6 months :applying for mine this week anyway..better to be safe..:rockon:

fair enough. anyway how do they know when you have started driving? Ok so you are allowed to drive for 12 months on your British licence. But for example I lived in Istanbul for 6 years before I even started driving in this country. So what happens then if everyone goes by the book?
An anecdote...(sorry if anecdotes are invalid here..excuse me)...a friend of mine left his expensive Mercedes car parked outside his office on a hill in Istanbul.A bulldozer!..yes thats right..a bulldozer..came storming down the hill and crashed into his car..totalling it.
He had a British licence and had been living in Istanbul for 18 yrs at the time. He claimed insurance for a complete new car and got it...
ok maybe this wouldnt happen for everyone but as I said ..that dirty word..it was an anecdote.

hijo

in my own clique
..they would know as soon as you buy your insurance..i had to supply my uk driving license when i got my insurance, also when i bought a new car i had to produce it ..i don,t think the polis are much bothered were your driving license comes from ..its more a get out for insurance companies..not to pay out..:16vf:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
fair enough. anyway how do they know when you have started driving? Ok so you are allowed to drive for 12 months on your British licence. But for example I lived in Istanbul for 6 years before I even started driving in this country. So what happens then if everyone goes by the book?
An anecdote...(sorry if anecdotes are invalid here..excuse me)...a friend of mine left his expensive Mercedes car parked outside his office on a hill in Istanbul.A bulldozer!..yes thats right..a bulldozer..came storming down the hill and crashed into his car..totalling it.
He had a British licence and had been living in Istanbul for 18 yrs at the time. He claimed insurance for a complete new car and got it...
ok maybe this wouldnt happen for everyone but as I said ..that dirty word..it was an anecdote.

The anecdote (and yes we love them) is only valid in respect of the insurance of the bulldozer driver as your friendĀ“s insurer is not paying out. But it is still a great story.

I would still like to hear what the source of this story (about new licence regulations) is. I think it is getting confused with the new regs for the likes of taxi drivers, who do have to have a special commercial licence - which, so I understand, is not available to foreigners.

Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom