Martyn

New kitchen
I've been looking lately at fitting a new kitchen and was wondering if anyone has bought one in the last year or so. I'm looking at Wickes, Ikea, Homebase or any others in a similar price range as those. Has anyone fitted or had one fitted from the above companies in the last year or two? We're looking at white gloss units.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
New kitchen
Not bought one recently but if you are keeping the same layout and the carcasses are still ok have you thought about just replacing the doors and maybe the worksurface.

May be a good cost effective solution.

Martyn

New kitchen
Not bought one recently but if you are keeping the same layout and the carcasses are still ok have you thought about just replacing the doors and maybe the worksurface.

May be a good cost effective solution.

Thanks for the tip but I fitted our kitchen 23 years ago and since replaced the worktops and sink 3 times and Bridget has done various paint jobs on the fronts. It's finally is time to change.

Last edited:

Tess

New kitchen
Lots of the kitchen companies around here are advertising the same Martyn, replace the doors and handles and workbenches, great idea if the carcasses are still good and as V6Cod says if you still are happy with the same layout. Some lovely coloured appliances available now also, all to match.

Ooooops Martyn, I was typing as you posted, so now realise this is not applicable, lovely new kitchen - fab, enjoy.

geordie_nev

New kitchen
I’m no expert but in the past two years I’ve fitted both Ikea and B & Q kitchens. Out of the two I definitely found the Ikea kitchen to be easier to fit and better quality, especially for the money. What we liked about the Ikea kitchens is some of them are made from solid wood instead of just laminate and i think they also have a larger range of sizes.

My understanding with all the companies you’ve mentioned is that they only sell the kitchens so you have to either fit it yourself or find some one to fit it for you. Either way I would go with Ikea.

Tess

New kitchen
Was in Ikea in Belfast on New Years Day the kitchens looked fab, so modern and reasonably priced.

Martyn

New kitchen
I was looking at Ikea Sharon but they don't seem to do the standard sizes others do. Couldn't see 1000mm in the range I was looking at :confused:

Martyn

New kitchen
We had our kitchen fitted by MFI about two and a bit years ago - the kitchen is good quality but the fit was a bit of a nightmare, to be honest im glad they went bust!

When it was fitted the fitters told us that if we had gone to them directly it would have been a lot cheaper (basically most companies like MFI, B&Q, homebase, etc) the cost of fitting will be about the same if not more than the cost of the cabinets, plus you will pay for extra work like moving sockets and plumbing, etc. All in all our kitchen double in price once the fitting was included but going direct they reckon it would have been about a third of the price!

We have also been advised that Howdens Joinery provide the kitchens for a lot of companies so try looking for a kitchen there if you have one locally.

Lastly though, if you know what cabinets you will need you can use a website called My Builder - Find local builders and tradesmen, get great quotes to list your job and invite quotes from tradesmen. The more detailed your description the more accurate the quote will be, it will soon give you a guide price of how much your kitchen will cost. Good luck!

Probably will fit it myself or a brother of a friend will. Thanks for the link. It looks a bit like a site I used recently to transport my Land Rover down from Edinburgh. Basically job goes on and all the bids come through and you decide who does the job based on price and feedback of previous jobs.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
New kitchen
hi martyn

i fitted some ikea kitchen units to our mini mutfak in yalikavak, easy to assemble and good quality, they have an on line planner, you can download and design your kitchen etc, it gives a list of materials and prices.
i sometimes work with kitchen fitters who use howdens, their stuff is ok and ready assembled
you must use a part p electrician and make sure you get a certificate from them, this applies to any electrical work in a kitchen

martin

val2661

New kitchen
Martyn, my ex-husband fits kitchens in the UK and he always recommends people to go wtih Wickes or Ikea as they are far superior quality to Homebase/Focus etc. He also says that the finish makes the kitchen, ie very good quality worktops / taps etc. Good luck with the project.

Val

coupe

New kitchen
Hi Martyn.
I am a kitchen fitter and work for myself fitting on average 40 a year.
I have fitted all the ranges mentioned.
My personal preference for quality of carcase is Magnet Trade, they are the same as the retail carcase solid and come with soft close doors and drawers.
Ikea units don,t have a service gap at the back and this makes it awkward on 2 counts. 1, you can't run pipes and wires behind and you can't cut to suite out of level walls.
Howdens are ok B&q carcases are poor Wicks are ok Homebase carcase poor.

Hope this helps, Regards.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
New kitchen
We had a kitchen individually made and fitted early last year and we are well pleased with it.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
New kitchen
Well you know I fitted a Wickes kitchen myself around this time last year. Denise is really pleased with it and thats all that matters. The quality seems good, and its easy to put together & fit. They have a good sale on at the moment too.

I would'nt consider having a kitchen fitted by B&Q because as you know Sean works there and he told me the fitting would cost more than the actual kitchen!

sasha

New kitchen
Martyn
My hubby and I fitted an Ikea kitchen(black gloss) ourselves just a few months ago. We found that Ikea were the best quality for the money. Their on line planner is great and the staff were excellent pointing out ways to save money, make things easier and correcting our mistakes. I would highly recommend. Also its easy to exchange anything you dont want, buy extras etc. They also advised if anything was out of stock exactly what date it would be in stock and thet were always spot on. Re the space for pipes/wires at the back of units this was not a problem just get your electrician/plumber to tell you when they need to get access so that they get in before you put the units up.
Sasha

stevecarol

New kitchen
If your fitting it yourself, then i found Wickes to be very easy and great quality too, i have now fitted Wickes, Ikea and B and Q, kitchens and they all look great when done.

pldouglas

New kitchen
Hi Martyn.
I am a kitchen fitter and work for myself fitting on average 40 a year.
I have fitted all the ranges mentioned.
My personal preference for quality of carcase is Magnet Trade, they are the same as the retail carcase solid and come with soft close doors and drawers.
Ikea units don,t have a service gap at the back and this makes it awkward on 2 counts. 1, you can't run pipes and wires behind and you can't cut to suite out of level walls.
Howdens are ok B&q carcases are poor Wicks are ok Homebase carcase poor.

Hope this helps, Regards.

We also have a kitchen fitting company and have fitted Magnet kitchens for about the last 16 years - about 50 a year and have found them to be the best for quality and value.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom