SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
New death sentence for Iraq's "Chemical Ali"
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Iraqi court sentenced Ali Hassan al-Majeed, the Saddam Hussein-era official widely known as "Chemical Ali," on Sunday to death by hanging for a 1988 gas attack that killed about 5,000 Kurds, a court official said.

Majeed, a cousin of Saddam's who earned his nickname because of his use of poison gas, already faces death sentences in several other cases.

The Iraqi High Tribunal also sentenced former Defense Minister Sultan Hashem to 15 years in prison for the attack on the Kurdish town of Halabja.

Majeed was captured in August 2003, five months after U.S. forces invaded Iraq and ousted Saddam.

He was sentenced to hang in June 2007 for his role in a military campaign against ethnic Kurds, codenamed Anfal, that lasted from February to August of 1988.

Majeed also received a death sentence in December 2008 for his role in crushing a Shi'ite revolt after the 1991 Gulf War and another for his involvement in killing and displacing Shi'ite Muslims in 1999.

(Reporting by Aseel Kami and Muhanad Mohammed; writing by Jim Loney; Editing by Michael Christie and Angus MacSwan)

Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Thats a lot of death sentances .... When will they actualy hang him , he seems to be costing a fortune in court cases !!!! will this be the last one ? ........Diane

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
I agree Diane. I wonder when it will all end. Many have said that there were no terrorists in Iraq, I beg to differ as this is only one example.....a drop in the bucket.

Bob

Saoirse

"Terrorists" Bob?

This man was a member of a government-one that was accepted and supported by the West when they first started using gas!

Historically they werent actually the first to use gas against the Kurds, a Western Government holds that honour.

Personally I am not surprised the West has tried to "move on" so to speak from the Iraq disaster having ruined the place, left it worse than it was and got chased out.

Unfortunately its the desperate people of Iraq left to pick up the pieces whilst the doomed Western roadshow rolls on to Afghanistan for their next pointless debacle

giglets

In this case, the punishment fits the crime.
Evil remnant of an evil family.
No tears will be shed in Iraq, or elsewhere, for this monster.

Dave

Saoirse

I dont doubt if this man is guilty hes a monster and should face the consequences of his actions (personally I dont agree with the death penalty).

My point is that if we are going to call everyone to answer for mass deaths in this region, and we should ,theres gonna be quite a large and international flavoured crowd in the dock

giglets

Philip,

True, but how far back are you going to go.
This area has been suffering for centuries, with many different nations/sects to blame for many different atrocities.
Or are you going to do your usual and restrict blame to us and the Yanks.
Same old, same old.

Dave

Saoirse

well obviously I can put that question right back to you

Do you think they should be immune?

Saoirse

To answer that no I am not saying we should go back for centuries

Now you answer mine,should the West be immune for all the recent wrong doing?

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
"Terrorists" Bob?

This man was a member of a government-one that was accepted and supported by the West when they first started using gas!

Historically they werent actually the first to use gas against the Kurds, a Western Government holds that honour.

Personally I am not surprised the West has tried to "move on" so to speak from the Iraq disaster having ruined the place, left it worse than it was and got chased out.

Unfortunately its the desperate people of Iraq left to pick up the pieces whilst the doomed Western roadshow rolls on to Afghanistan for their next pointless debacle

My god man, you make it appear as though the west did this for kicks and they are responsible for all bad issues in the world. They are not the only ones to use gas, they have never used it in any way even remotely close to the wat Chemical Ali did. Your own country has used gas in the past also. Every country has/had gas weapons. YOu also make it sound like Iraq was the best place on earth before the Americans went in, in their quest to make YOUR world safer from terrorists. It was a country that was ruled by one of the biggest terrorists in the history of the world. It was super corrupt and the people didn't have any choice or options. There is a newly formed government now that was elected, not by the way of killing off oponents like Sadam did. The people there need to want to help them selves. They are so used to corruption that when they see a chance to take this route it's the prefered easiest route. You can only help those that want it. Most of the problems that the Americans have faced in Iraq were not actually from the people of Iraq but from terorists from outside. These terrorists know that they will continue to be in the bright lights of the media if they continue their terrorist activities in the war ridden part of the world. You have mentioned that your strongly against the death penalty yet you also feel that China and it's comunist ways are your prefered way of life, that you would welcome them as your neighbour as I recall you saying. China executes more people in it's country every year then ALL OF THE OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED!!!!

I am not saying that the US has not made mistakes, in every war, regardless of whos it was there have been mistakes. Your comments are sooooo one sided it reeks. Do you honestly believe the world would have been a better place, a safer place in the long run if something wasn't done in this fight against terrorists?

Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I agree Diane. I wonder when it will all end. Many have said that there were no terrorists in Iraq, I beg to differ as this is only one example.....a drop in the bucket.

Bob

There were no weapons of mass distruction , Untill the american ones and ours landed on the country !! blowing it up , I believe there would be terrorists there , because terrorists are everywere ,
We've had them in London Yorkshie Buckinghamshire , So its ovious theres some in Iraq Spain as got Etta to contend with and Turkey had bomb blasts in Marmaris Kushadasi and Istanbul ....Terrorists are everywere could even be a naighbour yet you would never know , But thats the age we live in , if world govt's would try talking to them , I expect some have but they give up to quick , Yes there are fanatics But some believe they have a just cause , But this person sentanced in iraq had no cause to order the deaths of 50,000 people , ................Diane ..

giglets

I dont doubt if this man is guilty hes a monster and should face the consequences of his actions (personally I dont agree with the death penalty).

My point is that if we are going to call everyone to answer for mass deaths in this region, and we should ,theres gonna be quite a large and international flavoured crowd in the dock

Sorry, I thought you meant ALL those responsible over the years, not just the recent bunch. Cherry pick if you wish.

In my opinion, all those who have committed War Crimes should be punished.
This should be determined by the normal International Court System.
The immunity given to US personnel was wrong and I have never supported it.
The Blackwater debacle being just one example.
As far as the state of that beleaguered country is concerned, I see that the latest opinion poll of indigenous Iraquis is more positive than previously, with most welcoming the chance of living under a Democratic government and are much more hopeful of a better future for their children.
The situation is gradually improving and I do not believe that the vast majority would wish a return to the old Dictator.

Dave

Saoirse

My god man, you make it appear as though the west did this for kicks and they are responsible for all bad issues in the world. They are not the only ones to use gas, they have never used it in any way even remotely close to the wat Chemical Ali did. Your own country has used gas in the past also. Every country has/had gas weapons. YOu also make it sound like Iraq was the best place on earth before the Americans went in, in their quest to make YOUR world safer from terrorists. It was a country that was ruled by one of the biggest terrorists in the history of the world. It was super corrupt and the people didn't have any choice or options. There is a newly formed government now that was elected, not by the way of killing off oponents like Sadam did. The people there need to want to help them selves. They are so used to corruption that when they see a chance to take this route it's the prefered easiest route. You can only help those that want it. Most of the problems that the Americans have faced in Iraq were not actually from the people of Iraq but from terorists from outside. These terrorists know that they will continue to be in the bright lights of the media if they continue their terrorist activities in the war ridden part of the world. You have mentioned that your strongly against the death penalty yet you also feel that China and it's comunist ways are your prefered way of life, that you would welcome them as your neighbour as I recall you saying. China executes more people in it's country every year then ALL OF THE OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED!!!!

I am not saying that the US has not made mistakes, in every war, regardless of whos it was there have been mistakes. Your comments are sooooo one sided it reeks. Do you honestly believe the world would have been a better place, a safer place in the long run if something wasn't done in this fight against terrorists?

Bob

Bob your arguement is so flawed its almost laughable!

Terrible dictator-yes he was
Ruthless animal-yes he was

But who supported this animal, armed him and backed him for years!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with this idea of the West riding to the rescue to get rid of these tyrants is many of them were only able to continue their tyranny because they were propped up by the West!

Its a bit like setting someones house on fire and then looking credit for helping to put it out!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
There were no weapons of mass distruction , Untill the american ones and ours landed on the country !! blowing it up , I believe there would be terrorists there , because terrorists are everywere ,
We've had them in London Yorkshie Buckinghamshire , So its ovious theres some in Iraq Spain as got Etta to contend with and Turkey had bomb blasts in Marmaris Kushadasi and Istanbul ....Terrorists are everywere could even be a naighbour yet you would never know , But thats the age we live in , if world govt's would try talking to them , I expect some have but they give up to quick , Yes there are fanatics But some believe they have a just cause , But this person sentanced in iraq had no cause to order the deaths of 50,000 people , ................Diane ..

Yes Diane there are terrorists everywhere but the countries that are the worst known offenders would natually be the ones first targeted to tackle the problem. Countries that train terrorists and support terrorists like Iraq should always be the the ones where the majority of the resources go to combat it. Many of these terrorists that are throughout the world have come from the training camps in Iraq. You have to try to kill the root of the evil, not attempt to defend from the results of it.

Bob

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Bob your arguement is so flawed its almost laughable!

Terrible dictator-yes he was
Ruthless animal-yes he was

But who supported this animal, armed him and backed him for years!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with this idea of the West riding to the rescue to get rid of these tyrants is many of them were only able to continue their tyranny because they were propped up by the West!

Its a bit like setting someones house on fire and then looking credit for helping to put it out!

Why was it that the Americans originally assisted Sadam? The unbiased full picture please Philip. I know that will be all but impossible for you to achieve.
What about your love for communist China? No comment on that front?
Please. As I said the Americans have made mistakes, in hindsight they shouldn't have helped Sadam, maybe they could have been bit in the ass also from help YOU and YOUR country in its time of need many years ago. The Americans have helped far more countries then they have hurt, you just can't see that with your blinders on.

Bob

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
so the next attack will be iran, pakistan, west yorkshire and north manchester then, I hadnt read up the terrorist training camps in Iraq I must admit.

what about the nuclear attack on Japan ? where does that fit in the scheme of things

martin

Saoirse

They backed Sadaam as they were using him in his ongoing disputes/ww1 type wars with Iran. They armed and assisted him accordingly. Not my view just plain facts

Similarily they backed, armed, trained and assisted Mr Bin Laden when he was having a pop at the Soviets during their ill fated sortee into Afghanistan. The Yanks really know a winner when they see one!

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
so the next attack will be iran, pakistan, west yorkshire and north manchester then, I hadnt read up the terrorist training camps in Iraq I must admit.

what about the nuclear attack on Japan ? where does that fit in the scheme of things

martin

Come on Martin. Pakistan is attempting to get a grip on it's own situation. The Americans are assisting them as they can. Iran may get attacked if it continues its ways but it won't be by the Americans alone, many countries see their actions as a risk to the worlds safety. Why even mention the UK, that's stretching things isn't it? If there are training camps in these UK locations I honestly believe that the Military there would have cleaned them up years ago. If you know your WW2 history you wouldn't even have brought up why the Americans counter attacked with their nuclear weapon. For all you American haters why don't you start a poll, see how many of you are out there. See how many forget that it was the Americans and the Russians that helped save your asses. Oh don't we forget that all to quickly, right. Our friend Pebble would be rolling in her grave if she seen these comments.

Bob

Last edited:

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
They backed Sadaam as they were using him in his ongoing disputes/ww1 type wars with Iran. They armed and assisted him accordingly. Not my view just plain facts

Similarily they backed, armed, trained and assisted Mr Bin Laden when he was having a pop at the Soviets during their ill fated sortee into Afghanistan. The Yanks really know a winner when they see one!

Were not the Soviet using these same tactics? Using pawns to keep things from going to a head on war between the two largest forces in the world.

Bob

Latest Posts

Top Bottom