panther

Neighbourhood watch
With all the burglaries I'm sure if people become more vigilant to what is going on around them and take more notice. Hopefully some may get reported.

The old couple who have an apartment ground floor in my block in full view of apartments and some people living over the road were burgled shortly after they arrived end of April. The metal secuity grill was removed and they had just popped out to the shop nearby. When they returned shortly after The suitcases were strewn all over the room and they took gold jewellery. The old man was downhearted for weeks as this was the 2nd time. First time he went out after burglary and bought security grills. There were a lot of burglaries that week reported.

This is another story and this cannot be singled out: There must be many more we don't hear of.

Below this was in the voices newspaper this week.

Another Brit bites the dust

WHILE out walking our dog, I bumped into an old friend, not seen for a considerable time. The usual greetings followed, when I noticed a distinct air of disheartenment in his voice.

"You ok," I asked? "Will be at 6pm tonight" came the reply. "Because me and Yvonne are off back to England, had enough of this place, second robbery in 5 months, this time they took the lot".

Apparently, in May this year, they arrived to find burglars had paid a visit: TV, DVD, sat box, and a few other more valuable and easily transportable goods, gone.

Despondent, but not yet disheartened, they replaced the stolen items, and put it down to experience. Returning once more, just last week, this time they arrived to an apartment stripped of everything except two double beds and a large wardrobe!

And I mean everything: pots and pans, clothes, bedding, sofas, curtains, even knives and forks, and pictures off the walls.

Peter told me, he had to do a double take when he entered the apartment because he thought he must be in the wrong one!

The thieves, ripped bars from the back balcony, removed the door and adjoining window, to ease the removal of all personal possessions.

The police are at a loss, mainly because they don't know when the burglary took place. Because of this, their actions were muted, and left Peter and his wife with a distinct bad taste.

Peter has sold the apartment back to the estate agent he bought from two years ago, at several thousand pounds loss, money paid into the bank, and transferred back to England.

His parting comments were that he has been coming to Turkey for over ten years, and loves the way of life, the people, and the climate, but this was the final straw. Both he, and his wife may never return to Turkey, and certainly never to Altinkum.

This is not the only instance of such appalling happenings, yet nothing seems to be being done to stem this rising tide of criminal behavior. If this continues, unchecked, then Altinkum will end up a ghost town!

Post all the advertising you like, spend millions on the promotion of Turkey, but the fact remains, word of mouth can bring all the good work crashing down.

Peter and Yvonne will now return to England totally disheartened, and will not recommend Turkey, or Altinkum to anyone. Their dreams of retirement to the sun shattered. It is time to clamp down on this, and hard, before Altinkum falls by the wayside and becoming known as a place to avoid.

Last edited:

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Neighbourhood watch
l heard from someone that was burgled reported this matter to the authorities in Altinkum and gave them the cold shoulder treatment.
This is the type of behaviour the criminals want when the authorities are not really interested in clamping down on this type of crime.lt sounds like to me,it is going the same way as Britian.
Britian has lost control of law and order,because of how so swamped Britian is with criminal minds that cannot win the war against such evil plaguing the communities.
Altinkum is swamped with corrupt businesses and breakins and by reading many burglarys caught over time,has been given light punishment or even released without any sort of punishment.What sort of signals does that send to the criminal minds.
When a burglar is caught he or she should pay for the amount that has been stolen and compensate the victim the damage that was caused to the victim and also emotional damage.This is the type of punishment that will make the burglar think twice before they even attempt to break in.The authorities must at all cost send out the right messages to deter the criminal,because if they don't Altinkum will be a place called a criminals paradise ..law biding people will be ignored.

kaplumba

Neighbourhood watch
I feel very sorry for those who have been burgled - anywhere. However is there a need to keep comparing Turkey to UK Bob? I thought you wanted to return here not so long ago. The way you write about it, I don't think you would be happy here either. I have been burgled once in UK and I was satisfied with the way the police dealt with it. They attended quickly, sent officers round to take finger and foot prints and contacted me every time they found stolen goods that could have been mine. They sent someone round to advise on security. They even offered us counselling which we declined. This is the only time we or any of my family have experienced fairly serious crime and we feel they dealt with it seriously. According to our latest neighbourhood watch letter the number of burglaries in my area have dropped considerably. I think crime is a problem everywhere but where I live it is not the seething hot bed of crime that Bob seems to think it is.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Neighbourhood watch
Even though my intentions are to go back to Britian to start again.This shouldn’t stop me from having my say of what l think about the issues involved.People complain for a reason and has nothing to do with being grumpy.
I don’t care where the place is in the world that can have an effect on one’s life.lf it effects me or any other person that warrents a complaint and that is why l have stated the crime here in Turkey has burdened many people’s lives.Britians crime wave has also burdened people’s lives and l can see no end to it when policies of soft sentencing will only encourage crime to flourish.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Neighbourhood watch
Here is a website about the scandal of crime plaguing Altinkum.When you have authorities thinking more of the projects that makes money more then the one's that can damage the reputation of the area.Then they are blinded by what is to come later.They must open their eyes and see how damaging this is to the tourist area.
l apologize for the back to back,l just had one of those senior moments again

Stop The Turkish Tapu Scandal! - Home

Last edited:

kaplumba

Neighbourhood watch
Of course you must have your say Bob along with everyone else and it is by people complaining that things may change. I don't live in Turkey and have not really experienced crime there, only what I have read or been told about so am not in a position to comment. However I do live in UK, have experienced crime and how the police handled it. My experience and in my daily life I do not experience what you wrote.

Britian has lost control of law and order,because of how so swamped Britian is with criminal minds that cannot win the war against such evil plaguing the communities.

This is the kind of thing you might see in some of the gutter press and although there maybe areas of UK where crime is a real problem, much of UK is not like that at all.

panther

Neighbourhood watch
I'm finding it hard to believe that peoples apartments are being ploated of EVERYTHING!!!! this is why hopefully everyone is vigilant around them.

This maybe the trend now to earn money for the thieves. This seems a good living for the thieves. Beautiful furniture and nice accessories.

kaplumba

Neighbourhood watch
I find it amazing too Panther. I just can't imagine that happening around my Turkish place. My neighbours notice everything and speak to anyone who is around our houses. I don't think we need a formal Neighbourhood Watch, it is there already. I think though the danger time is winter when the place becomes almost empty but so far no problems. I don't know Altinkum but gather it is a big place. Perhaps it isn't unusual to see removal vans and so wouldn't be questioned.

Neighbourhood watch
Dont know about Altınkum but ın Gumusluk you cant f..t and your neıghbors wıll know about ıt,maybe because Altınkum has the apartment blocks and unlike here you dont get to know and watch out for each other,

PASH

Neighbourhood watch
Perhaps we should have ANOTHER poll, have you been burgled, nearly burgled, never burgled in Turkey - Would be interesting to see what percentage of owners have been burgled - I for one have been and whilst asleep, i think we were sprayed with something as i am normally a light sleeper. Just interesting to Know how common place this is, i think its a high percentage myself

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Neighbourhood watch
What a terrible shame . Altinkum was and still is a nice place . Wish they could be persuaded to stay . One idea i've had in mind for a while = House Sitting . reliable brits could stay in folks apts Keep them clean and aired ect for several wks or months owners charge no / or small rent . And apt would be ready for owners return . includeing shopping done ect ect Much better to have an invited person in your house than a thief ! I'm sure people could come to agreements with each other . of course preferably Forum Members . I would certainly do this No problem . Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom