Hamza81

Need some help to decide where to go in South Turkey?
Asalaamualaikum, I just needed some advice please where would you recommend is the best place to stay for a week in south Turkey?

I don't want somewhere thats too touristy but want somewhere which has the best and most beautiful scenery,beaches and things to do like some historical sites,activities and places to see,nice food and shisha etc and want to go somehwhere where the food is nice but not too expensive like in Istanbul where the restaurants really rip off tourists and they are like predators and i had really bad experiences there and so have many other people!

We are thinking to land in Dalamand airport but i'm a bit unsure where to stay!

I don't want to stay in Marmaris because its too touristy and too many drunk people and clubs and stuff and thats not my scene.

I was thinking either Oludeniz,Kalkan,Icemeler,Altinkum,Akyaka,Turunc. Which one is best do you think? or do you think we should land in Antalya? Is that area better? All of your advice would be very much appreciated! Jazakallah and thank you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GnD

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Finike on the coast road on the south-west tip of Turkey. Cheap, few tourists and great beaches.
Ian

i would agree with İan..as far as Finike is concerned it would fit the bill for you..and you could fly to antalya rather than Dalaman.
Cirali is another really nice place with access to some spectacular historic sites and natural phenomena such as the chimera, as well as great beach and wonderful scenery...and not touristy, no roaming drunks.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Try Akbuk.lt is a pleasant place to stay where it is more layed back with a good night sleep without the bars blasting out their music.
The scenery is 360% of mountains and sea.
The food is very good value with a good choice of either Turkish or western grub.
Akbuk makes agood place to stay for the excursions to historic sites that are near by.Lake Bafta has a lot of history to it.lt was once a sea ,but was cut of from the main sea,by a massive vocanic eruption that took place around 7,000 years ago.lf you travel the other side of this lake,you will enter another time warp where there are just small villages dotted around.But be warned,when they see a tourist they all appear out of nowhere trying to sell their goods to you.

Altinkum is just a 1/2 hour bus ride away and the Opollo temple.You can also get the bus to soke town,which is about an 1 hour drive on the bus.A good day out to the market and the cafes and shopping.

The swimming is great,because since there are no currents it stays warm a lot longer then the tourists areas near the open sea.
There is a lot more to tell you,but today,for some apparant reason,l just cannot think straight.lt could be the heat,which has reached a stifling 40c

M

Mack

I agree with Shirley, Cirali is stunning and with Olympos on the doorstep too, far too many places to mention within a hour or so journey, a great place to holiday (or weekend if youre lucky enough to live close enough :) ).

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay ....... Oh sh*t, thanks Ian...........

Last edited:

CJD

Selimye, Bozburun or best of all Sogut

Hamza81

Thank you very much for all the advice. I was nearly sold on Oludeniz with its stunning scenery and blue lagoon and now ive got to consider other places i guess.

Smiler

IMO Olo Deniz is over rated. Plenty of less "touristy" place to visit between Dalaman and Antalya

Personally I love olu Deniz and Hisaronu, but the most tranquil of places to visit I found round there besides the blue lagoon is kayakoy.

Crystalclear

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Olu Deniz is a tourist resort, so you will not get the tranquillity you want.

Crystalclear's idea is good - rent a house in Kaya and you have the best of both worlds - tranquillity but access to bars and restaurants a few minutes drive away. There are a few restored Turkish houses (with pool) for rent in Kaya - but not cheap.

Ian

dalyansteve

Dalyan has everything you are looking for and it is only 20 minutes from Dalaman airport, all the other places that have been mentioned are an hour or more from an airport, in some cases several hours, and are actualy very touristy. The other choice would be Akyaka.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Olu Deniz is a tourist resort, so you will not get the tranquillity you want.

Crystalclear's idea is good - rent a house in Kaya and you have the best of both worlds - tranquillity but access to bars and restaurants a few minutes drive away. There are a few restored Turkish houses (with pool) for rent in Kaya - but not cheap.

Ian

If you do decide to rent in Kaya, make sure it's well away from the routes that the quad-bikes use. There are upto 14 groups of them going through the village and spoiling the tranquility everyday.

CJD

Dalyan has everything you are looking for and it is only 20 minutes from Dalaman airport, all the other places that have been mentioned are an hour or more from an airport, in some cases several hours, and are actualy very touristy. The other choice would be Akyaka.

As much as I love Dalyan I would class it as very touristy

check out my photo album for pictures of Sogut, there are some great
pansions (pm me if you would like details) Village life continues much the
same as it always has, you would need a car though.

grantlvt

Having travelled most of the South West Coast I would also say Akyaka.

Great village still retains its Turkish charm, fantastic river fish restaurants, lovely beach, stunning scenery and only 50 minutes from Dalaman airport.

Mugla which is a lovely city is only 30 minutes away.

Grant

many years ago i used to visit Olu Deniz Hisaronu and Fethiye very often as my husband had relatives living in Fethiye.
Last year i took a friend on a detour to see the places i thought i knew..i was horrified with the changes in Hisaronu and Olu Deniz..
the best places now are further on from Alanya between Anamur and Mersin, some wonderful beaches and small quiet towns and bang in the middle of historic sites.

İ cant make my mind up if its a good or bad thing that most tour agencies from the Uk and Europe havent opened their books to these areas.

kaplumba

Hi Hamza81, get yourself along to Datca and you will find what you are looking for. Shirl will say we are all nuts there and she could be right and Yildez will thrash me for letting the cat out of the bag (again). It's just over 2 hours from Dalaman through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery you will ever see. It is a little harbour town with very few British visitors and just a handful of ex pats. There are more bays and coves than you could shake a stick at- mostly empty, loads of goats and many thousands of olive and almond trees. Best of all there is Knidos, a stunning pile of old rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: GnD

GnD

Have to agree I think Olu Deniz, Dalyan, Fethiye, Marmaris and Sarigerme far too touristy.

I think you would definately like Koycegiz. It is unspoilt and tranquil with facilities that are spaced out, so although most things are available, you do not feel it is over populated. And it provides the option to visit other areas from here. Maybe someone could recommend a hotel in Koycegiz.

Thanks to all for the other suggestions, I will go off and find out how long they all take to drive. Have a sat nav for our longest stay ever coming up so will take up some of these suggestions providing time allows.

Thank you for the thread Hamza81.

Debbie

Jane you beat me to it...i knew i had missed one out .....yes Datça would also fit the bill a beautiful unspoilt place ...
hmmm...apart from when a certain member does a gentile version of a knees up..thats about as rowdy as it gets...hah. (or when another certain member gets fresh with long haired painters.)

GnD

It's just over 2 hours from Dalaman through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery you will ever see.

Hi Jane,

It took G and I absolutely ages to get to Marmaris back in March (not our cup of tea at all) far longer than we anticipated from the map:dizzy:, but surely Datca would take 3 or more from Dalaman especially when high season? What's parking like when you get there?

Sorry for lots of questions but keen to go.

kaplumba

Knees ups are our speciality Shirl and there is another one in the Mirmir bar July 6th I think (check the other thread) all welcome. Debbie it is well worth the journey and takes us 2hours 15 mins from Dalaman airport. It is never that busy even in August and parking is no problem. You drive past Marmaris and not into it, from then onwards the scenery is mind blowing and the road quiet. I would suggest you take your toothbrush and have an overnight stay there are plenty of pensions. When will you be in Turkey as I am there for 5 weeks in 2 bursts during the summer and would happily run you up a lunch if you came and show you around a bit. For some of the time our house is bursting at the seams but if there is an empty room you can have it!!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom