saffie

Saffie
Need motoring advice
Hi all,

I got an email this morning,part of which I have copied and pasted here:

Q:Can I bring a UK car into Turkey?
A:Yes, but only for a period of six months, then it has to be removed and stay out of the country for six months before it can return. When it does return the six month in/out process starts again. If you don't, the customs office will confiscate your car and impose a big fine and demand it be removed for the six month cycle or you abandon it to the government and loose the car. The best advice is if you intend to live in Turkey full time or the majority of the year, buy a cheap car out here. We can help advise with this and the Taxes, registration etc.
IMPORTANT UPDATE:
As of May 2009, any visitor bringing a car into Turkey can only do so for a period of TWO WEEKS only. There is some bearing on how many times and days you've previously been in Turkey, but an overrun, incurs a HUGE fine, so don't risk it unless you have checked with the Turkish Consulate in London.
Also it is now NOT possible to take a vehicle to Rhodes to reinitiate a visit.

Is this last part true??? Reason I ask is that friends of mine came out for a couple of months in a camper van earlier this year and drove back to the UK in June. They are now on their way back out again for a couple of months.

Are they going to encounter huge problems and fines once they get to the Turkish border???

saffie

saffie

Saffie
Need motoring advice
Me neither....and that's the bit I was concerned about as my friends have already left.

I have checked the Turkish Consulate website and the "turing.org.tr" website and see nothing to indicate that this is true. Seems a bit daft to only allow foreigners a two week driving holiday.....surely not?

I feel this is misinformation,but wanted to check the facts before trying to alert my friends that they may encounter problems at border control.

saffie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom