Hector

Nasreddin Hodja Stories
Hi people, i wanted to share a couple of Nasreddin Hodja stories. Did anybody hear about him before?

If we don't cry, who will?
Tamerlane was an ugly man, blind in one eye and limped on one leg. One day, while Hodja was with him, Tamerlane scratched his hair, wanted to cut it and shouted the people
-call the barber!

The barber comes in,cuts his hair and as always the same, gives a mirror to his hand. Tamerlane looking in the mirror sees himself and finds out ugly one. He starts crying. Hodja cries too with him. So they cry together for some hours. People near Tamerlane try to calm him down by telling comic stories. His crying stops, but not Hodja's.

At last,
-Listen! says Tamerlane to Hodja. I looked in mirror, found out myself ugly one, became sad; because I am not only the king, but also rich, I have many women. I am ugly, this was the reason why I cried. But what about you? Why did you cry and keep crying still?"

-You looked in the mirror just once, saw yourself and cried since you couldn't resist. But what shall we, people who have to see your face all the days and nights,do? If we do not cry, who will? This is the reason why I am crying! replies Hodja.

Nasreddin the Saz player

Someones asked Hodja if he knows how to play Saz (a Turkish musical instrument),
-Yes, answered the Hodja
And they give a Saz to the Hodja to prove.
He began to play.
DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII....
Same note, same string, over and over.
DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII....
After a few minutes, people stopped Hodja's playing,
-Hodja, this is not the correct way of playing the saz, you play the same note. The saz players move their fingers up and down, play on different strings!
-Well, I know why they go up and down and try all different strings.
-Why is that?
-They're looking for *this* note that I allready found...

My word or the word of my donkey

One day the Hodja answered a knock at his door and found that it was one of his neighbours, whom disliked particularly.
-Hodja Effendi, can I borrow your donkey for the day?
he wanted to know.
-Sorry, neigbour, replied the Hodja. Of course you could borrow it, if I had it here, but it is not in, just now.

Just then the donkey started to bray!
-I am surprised at you, Hodja Effendi! I can hear your donkey bray, just when you say it's not in!.
-I am the one who is surprised; yes, and outraged too!
shouted the Hodja. ' A neigbour like you I'd rather not have, disbelieving my word, but believing that of my donkey!'.

Shopping

One day Hodja went to market to buy new clothes. First he
tested a pair of trousers.
He didn't like the trousers and he gave back them to the
shopkeeper. Then he tried a robe which had same price as the trousers. Hodja was pleased with the robe and he left the shop. Before he climbed on the donkey to ride home he stopped by the shopkeeper and the shop-assistant.
- You didn't pay for the robe, said the shopkeeper.
- But I gave you the trousers instead of the robe, isn't
it?replied Hodja.
- Yes, but you didn't pay for the trousers, either! said the shopkeeper.
- But I didn't buy the trousers, replied Hodja. I am not
so stupid to pay for something which I newer bought.

HEAVY COAT
One night the people heard a frightful noise from the Hodja's house. They asked in the morning:
What was that noise?
Oh, my coat fell downstairs.
Can a coat make such a noise?,
If you were in it, like me, yes!

trish

Nasreddin Hodja Stories
I bought a book of his stories a couple of years ago in Turkey. Thank you so much for these they me smile.

nomaderol

Nasreddin Hodja Stories
Ha? Those stories were taken from my Hoca web site I had opened in 1995-6. It was one of first web sites in Turkey and I had translated many Hoca stories. It became a portal like web site and then, I had closed it in 2001-2002. I still keep the copy. So, here is another one:

Hoca's Test

A learned foreign scientist came to Aksehir and said he wanted to challenge the wits of the most knowledgeable person in the city. The townsfolk called for Nasreddin Hoca....

When the Hoca arrived, the foreigner drew a circle in the sand with a stick. The Hoca frowned, took the stick, and divided the circle in two.

The foreigner then drew another line through the circle that divided it into four equal parts. The Hoca pretended to gather three parts toward himself and to push the remaining part toward the foreigner.

The foreigner then raised his arm above his head, and wiggling his extended fingers, he slowly lowered his hand to the ground. The Hoca did exactly the same thing but in the opposite direction -- moving his hand from the ground to a height above his head.

And, that completed the foreigner's tests -- which he explained privately to the city council..."Your Hoca is very clever man," he began, "I showed him that the world is round -- and he confirmed it but indicated that 'it also has an equator'. And when I divided the world into 4 parts, he indicated that it is '3 parts water and 1 part land', which I can't deny. Finally, I asked what is the origin of rain? He answered quite rightly that 'water rises as steam to the sky, makes cloud, and later returns to earth as rain.'"

When they got him alone, the ordinary townsfolk asked the Hoca what the challenge was all about? The Hoca said, "Well, that other fellow first asked, 'Suppose we have this round tray of baklava [a Turkish dessert]? So, I said, 'You can't eat it all by yourself, you know. So, I'll take half.' Then he got a little rude, saying, 'What will you do if I cut it into 4 parts?' That upset me, so I said, 'In that case, I'll take three of the parts and only leave you one!' That softened him up, I think, because then, with the motion of his hand, he said, 'Well, I suppose I could add some walnuts and pistachio nuts on top of the baklava.' I cooled down too and said, 'That's fine with me, but you'll need to cook it under full flame, because an ash fire just won't be hot enough'. When I said that, he knew I was right, and gave up the game..."

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Nasreddin Hodja Stories
One of My favorites;

Hodja had borrowed his neighbor's cauldron. A few days later, he put a bowl in it and returned it. When his neighbor saw the bowl he asked, "What is this?"

Hodja answered, "Your cauldron gave birth!"

His neighbor was very happy. He thanked Hodja and took the cauldron and the bowl.

A few days pass and Hodja borrowed the cauldron again, but this time didn't return it. When his neighbor came to ask for it Hodja said, "Your cauldron died. I am sorry."

The man was surprised. "Oh come on!" he said, Cauldrons don't die."

Hodja snapped back, "Well you believed that it gave birth, then why don't you believe that it died?"

To avoid the accusations of stealing a story about a 13th century character of which many translations exist:This was taken from Nasreddin Hodja by Alpay Kabacali. Copyright 1992

nomaderol

Nasreddin Hodja Stories
To avoid the accusations of stealing a story about a 13th century character of which many translations exist:This was taken from Nasreddin Hodja by Alpay Kabacali. Copyright 1992

if you said this because i said above "this story was taken from my old hoca site", you misunderstood me.. i didnt mean "steal". hoca stories actually have been attributed to him by ordinary folks of not only turkey but all over the world. from balkans to china, many folks consider hoca as their sons. so, they can be freely spreaded and if anyone claims debate about copyright, i am ready to debate. so, anybody can take copy of these stories freely.

anyway, i uploaded my old copy to web site: Nasreddin Hoca

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Nasreddin Hodja Stories
nomaderol,

It's all good. Relax. No need to get too worked up here. Please let me point something in your choice of wording that propmted me to clarify where I copied my story from. I'm not that good of a writer to have translated any of the hundreds of existing Hodja stories.

Many people may not be familiar with Hodja folklore. So to make such a statement as to a story or two or all for that fact were taken from you (your choice of word was "my") and/or your website is rather misleading. The new reader may take that as your very own. You even provided details as to were the story was taken from in your original post.

After reading your follow up; I can see that wasn't your intention. And for misjudging that, I am deeply sorry.

nomaderol

Nasreddin Hodja Stories
Lemonhead, I realize my mistake, misleading. Yes, I translated most of stories myself on my web site above, but, also some others whose native languages are English had also contributed. Since Hoca is not a one person only, but, a collective humor of ordinary folks of people all over the world, I ignore all copyrights about Hoca stories, even if they are translated into different languages. Only copyrights can be valid for historical informations, etc, not for tales/stories which are not belong to Hoca only, not only to Turks, but to many folks in the world from Balkans to Japan. Origins of stories can be Turkey, can be Iran, Azerbaijan, can be Bulgaria, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Yakutistan, China, etc etc. Nobody really knows. And all these stories have been spreaded through the ears throughout the centuries. So, writing a story and putting a copyright on it is illegal in my understanding. My web site was just an attempt to make collection of all stories around the world (which was not possible anyway) and it was a hobby when the www appeared first time in 1990s. I was a researcher academican at university at that time, mid 1990s, and I was playing with the gopher and then with the www, it was not for money making. Anyway, all these stories can be copied without giving my name. They are not belong to me anyway. They are belong to world folks who have attributed their own life stories to Hoca who may be even a virtual character.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom