mollag

Kipper restorer
Nanny state food
Just been tucking into an ox tongue sandwich [it speaks for itself] much to the disgust of my 25 year old son---how can i eat animals bits [think he means offal]

Got to thinking of stuff we ate before nanny state deemed them naughty.

Tripe, brawn, faggots for example---skate knobs and cods heads are others.

Oh how we would look forward to the seasons first lambs testicles! yum

Bacon with rind and bristles on it, pork chops with a piece of kidney still attached.

Anyone else still hanker for nanny;s forbidden foods?

Last edited:

lara

Nanny state food
Me mum always had a big pot cup in't pantry, filled with lard and dripping.

Sometimes we had dripping cakes and a pot of tea for breakfast, yes, we lived in the fast lane.lol

Is dripping still on the go?

Nanny state food
Tank god Rob it has not hit turkey yet, tripe soup at 5 in the morning brings you round big time! safe home next week , Jim

butt007

Warren
Nanny state food
Yes Mollag I remember well the days we used to have a half pigs head roasted and the brains made into some sort of sauce by my mum, and Honeycomb Tripe cut into strips, a sprinkle of salt and vinegar poured over.
Another thing she used to do was buy a lump of Gammon, make some dough and roll it out then wrap the Gammon in it and roast it. You usually had to break it open with a hammer or something cos it was like a lump of rock........but when the meat was taken out it was just so juicy and tender scrumptiouse.
Warren

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Nanny state food
mollag,

Being American, I have no idea what some of those dishes are, but I'm of the belief that a club of some sort should be created for people like us. (O.O.F. - Organization of Organ Feasters)

I'm a big fan of kidneys & hearts seasoned and grilled. I can hear all the mouths drooling from here.

My motto - If I'm hungry enough and can outrun it, I'll eat it!

Maisie

Nanny state food
I have a picture of a menu board outside a place in Didim: says Tripe Soup and another item is Thicker Tripe Soup. Maisie

mollag

Kipper restorer
Nanny state food
mollag,

Being American, I have no idea what some of those dishes are, but I'm of the belief that a club of some sort should be created for people like us. (O.O.F. - Organization of Organ Feasters)

I'm a big fan of kidneys & hearts seasoned and grilled. I can hear all the mouths drooling from here.

My motto - If I'm hungry enough and can outrun it, I'll eat it!

American eh! theres not much wasted in the USA :blowkiss:

Well i will try a definition of ould style food but expect disputes cos stuff is regional

Tripe is boiled cows stomach
Faggots are made from pigs Liver, lungs and heart, minced, seasoned and formed into meatballs with a rich gravy
Brawn is the remnants of a pigs head boiled with pigs feet, flaked and set in natural gelatine.
Skate nobs---the cheeks of a skate or ray

Cods heads---boiled, stripped of meat and made into fish cakes

Lambs fries --- testicles

Lambs sweetbreads------glands from the lambs neck.

Haggis---like faggots but sheepses bitses, mixed with oatmeal, stuffed into a sheepses stomach and boiled.

Any more guys?

I would consider it an honour to be considered for membership of O.O.F

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Nanny state food
Just been tucking into an ox tongue sandwich [it speaks for itself] much to the disgust of my 25 year old son---how can i eat animals bits [think he means offal]

Got to thinking of stuff we ate before nanny state deemed them naughty.

Tripe, brawn, faggots for example---skate knobs and cods heads are others.

Oh how we would look forward to the seasons first lambs testicles! yum

Bacon with rind and bristles on it, pork chops with a piece of kidney still attached.

Anyone else still hanker for nanny;s forbidden foods?

Yummy, all of those.

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Nanny state food
Introducing (drum roll)....

Grilled beef hearts! Now playing at a local market near you.

Attachments

• yurek2.jpg
    yurek2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 15

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Nanny state food
and don't forget Rocky Mountain Oysters ! Yeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaa ! :3:

I got 4 huge beef bones and 3 kilos of fat from the butcher's yesterday. The bones were boiled for a couple of hours to get the best out of them. We'll be having our roasties cooked in good 'ol beef drippin' tomorrow and the dogs'll be exercising their teeth on the bones for the next few weeks.

Last edited:

mollag

Kipper restorer
Nanny state food
and don't forget Rocky Mountain Oysters ! Yeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaa ! :3:

I got 4 huge beef bones and 3 kilos of fat from the butcher's yesterday. The bones were boiled for a couple of hours to get the best out of them. We'll be having our roasties cooked in good 'ol beef drippin' tomorrow and the dogs'll be exercising their teeth on the bones for the next few weeks.

And the added bonus of some little chalky messages left by the dogs!

Spotted a recipe from Hugh Fearnly- Urinalstal for alcoholic [4%] dandelion and burdock fizzy pop, i reckon we can turbo that up as few %

Wow nostalgic and pissed, who said men cant multitask?

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Nanny state food
My hubby loves all of the things you're mentioned Mollag, Tripe Soup he always has to have when we're in Turkey. He and (our Dog Monty also loves) often have Honeycombe tripe. Also Cow Heel, Lambs fries etc, but I cannot get to liking these, and I have tried as I am quite adventurous when eating and will try, maybe only the once though. It's on his list to have the sheeps head soup next time we go out to Turkey. We also love Oysters, IMHO, the Scots Oysters are the best.

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Nanny state food
My hubby loves all of the things you're mentioned Mollag, Tripe Soup he always has to have when we're in Turkey. He and (our Dog Monty also loves) often have Honeycombe tripe. Also Cow Heel, Lambs fries etc, but I cannot get to liking these, and I have tried as I am quite adventurous when eating and will try, maybe only the once though. It's on his list to have the sheeps head soup next time we go out to Turkey. We also love Oysters, IMHO, the Scots Oysters are the best.

Its the restaurant that replaced Angels gift shop for you then SS.

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Nanny state food
Me mum always had a big pot cup in't pantry, filled with lard and dripping.

Sometimes we had dripping cakes and a pot of tea for breakfast, yes, we lived in the fast lane.lol

Is dripping still on the go?

Yum Yum used to take dripping sandwiches to school. loads of jelly with lashings of pepper.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Nanny state food
Mum made me toast and dripping for breakfast loved it and pigs feet and once pigs tails , I still put ox tail in stews , Mu used to go to the slaughter house and get baby lambs paunches { spelling ?} she'd spend all day washing them over and over then boil them then change the water , what a performance , but nice fried with bacon , Funny thing is we didn't have all the germs and bugs then that we have now.......Diane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom