dalaman

Naming our baby
Hi All,

5 Weeks ago myself and my partner had our 1st child. I am British and she is Turkish (we are unmarried), the baby was born in Turkey. Does anybody know the legal stance on giving our baby an English 1st name? We wish to call him Robbie Koray.

I have been advised by the Consulate etc. that this should be no problem but unfortunately the Kimlik office are blankly refusing to give us an ID card.

Many Thanks in advance.

Stephen

ChrisBobs

Naming our baby
Nufus/ Kimlik officers are not renowned for their open-minded attitude on non Turkish names.
And you have probably come across someone who disapproves of your unmarried status as well - not their business you say, and they would never admit it.
You don't say where you are- but
a) try reversing the order of the name, in reality a lot of people in Turkey use the second as the main name and leave the first as an initial
b) go over their heads to the Kaymakam - or his assistant who knows the real ropes
c) go with the flow and choose an R type Englishy name...or Cem(James) Can ( John) ...the child needs a name.

Good luck

PS_ AND congratulations on the birth of your child! 41 ma┼čallah!

Last edited:

Tess

Naming our baby
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I'm sorry I know nothing of the legalities, but I wish you well. If it helps many people even over here have names on their birth certificates and they are called by another name, pet names in their homes, shortened names, names they have aquired over the years, the fact remains you have your beautiful son and you and your wife can call him any name you like by which he will be known.

Guz1

Naming our baby
Congratulations on the birth of your precious son. I'm afraid that I don't know the legalities either but I don't think the Consulate would have given you incorrect information. I don't see why some narrow minded minor official should force you into changing your baby's name. Try option (b) as suggested by Chrisbobs and if that doesn't work ask the Consulate to intervene on your behalf.

bethx

Naming our baby
We havent actually sorted out our sons kimlik out yet but his first name is English and when we asked about it there was no problem. Although it is very similar to a Turkish name. We had problems as we are unmarried and I needed his kimlik to be in my last name, which they refused completely to do. They said the child has to have a Turkish last name to have a kimlik. Maybe thats the same as theyre doing to you.
Although none of thats much help to you :S And congratulations on you baby :D

Aleynasdad

Naming our baby
You can call your child anything you like by Turkish law. I have students in my classes called Marco, Phedra, Ralfi and Rebecca... not all Turks are Muslims. If you have a problem consult a lawyer because your child cannot be refused an ID because an official doesn't like the fact that your child doesn't have a Muslim name.

alison09400

Naming our baby
We havent actually sorted out our sons kimlik out yet but his first name is English and when we asked about it there was no problem. Although it is very similar to a Turkish name. We had problems as we are unmarried and I needed his kimlik to be in my last name, which they refused completely to do. They said the child has to have a Turkish last name to have a kimlik. Maybe thats the same as theyre doing to you.
Although none of thats much help to you :S And congratulations on you baby :D

Hi Beth...if you yourself are not a turkish citizen then I would imagine that your baby cannot be registered as one if having your surname. He would need to have his father's surname.

Hi Dalaman...congratulations on the birth of your baby son. As someone has already said the person working at the Nufus Daire is probably making his/her own decisions when really it's not their business.

When we went to register our daughter a few days after she was born the lady in the Nufus Daire asked us if we weren't giving her a turkish name (she's called Helin Rebekka). Lots of Helin's in Turkey but it's more commonly known as a kurdish name. We told her Helin was her turkish name. The lady wasn't refusing to give her a Kimlik but just asking out of curiosity.

I cannot see any reason that your son cannot be called Robbie Koray...go and see the head person at the Nufus. If they refuse then tell them you're going to the Kaymakam. Also, are they refusing because you want him registered in your english surname?

dalaman

Naming our baby
Thanks to everybody for their answers!!

We are attempting to register him with my partners surname as we knew mine wasn't possible until after we are married.

I've contacted the Consulate again today and they've repeated their earlier comments but said they cannot get involved in local law issues, leaving us only with the alternatives of speaking directly to the Kaymakan and then unfortunately a lawyer i think.

Thanks again for the replies.

Naming our baby
Hi Stephen

Congratulations to you and and Nil on the brth of Robbie Koray. Hope all went well for mum and baby. Will catch up with you in a few months, meanwhile, good luck with the kimlik!
Karen n Paul

Sara-666

Naming our baby
You've obviously come accross some sort of jobsworth in the office where you went to register your son, legally you can call him whatever you like, it's the surname that is important, as you already know you can't register him in your name until you have married his Mother. We had problems the other way round, my husband is British although with Cypriot heritage (therefore surname) and I am British, when we went to register our son for his residency card we were told that he should have kimlik because he was born here, they certainly didn't care that he had an Italian first name!

Congratulations on his birth and I wish you luck, stick to your guns, you will get your own way in the end. Have you tried anyone else in the office, maybe they would treat you better.

Sara

GnD

Naming our baby
Doesn't the surnaming have something to do with family tree accountablility? which might be the stumbling block?

I recollect reading all births are added to the Turkish equivalent of a Census type register and remember taking on board the perspective of how efficient it came across? ie for inheritance laws etc proving how many children/sibling etc. I believe it was on one of the inheritance threads it referred to proving there are no additional siblings etc....... which is difficult if you are all non Turkish.

Good luck and Many Congratulations on your wonderful baby!

Top Bottom