bickern

My thoughts on forums
Forums are brilliant communities where newcomers are welcomed with open arms, where members can meet and have a chat on all sorts of topics be it news, hobbies or whatever.

What sets apart forums though is it gives people anonymity, where members can come out of their normal shell and take on a whole new persona and then they can be as snooty or argumentative as they like with no fear of retribution.

Certain members of a forum will post controversial or annoying messages for the sole purpose of “mixing it" and raising peoples shackles then sitting back and noting the reaction stirred, sticking in another comment now and again to keep it alive. The best way of dealing with a Troll is to ignore them but then not all of posters can be deemed a Troll because they may indeed have a wacky outlook to life or things in general.

I learnt a long time ago to relax and take things in my stride because it is pointless getting all stressed up over a topic or a post within a thread but it does not always work out that way.

Religion is well regarded as a hot topic whereby minds and hearts can clash and a fanboy mentality can prevail but a really hot topic that can stir people up is animals, dogs and cats in particular and I have to admit I am the same.

Unless someone is a vegan or something then we can all be guilty of hypocrisy, because we tend to get upset when we hear or read of a dog being eaten, but when a pig or cow is eaten it does not cause so much as an eyelid to be raised.

When it comes to domestic animals, especially dogs and cats we tend to think of them as our dear little children and in the same way we all have differing opinions as to how kids should be brought up and treated we apply that to cats and dogs. I am definitely guilty of being aroused when I read about domestic animals being abandoned or any animal being mistreated and border on being outright abusive to persons who I think are guilty, but that itself is the problem because I decide someone is guilty using my rules and standards of behaviour and who is to say I am right and another person is wrong.

If a flame war starts then hopefully at least one of the moderators is available to reign it in or close the thread, but a lot of the time we see a slight where none was intended and a person was just thinking aloud and commenting on their thoughts at that moment but someone else reads it differently and takes offence, again I know, I am certainly guilty of that.

The thing is, I sometimes like to read threads started by a Troll, just to see what reaction ensues and where the thread goes; sometimes a thread is closed because it evolves into hate filled diatribe or just dies a normal death.

My boredom level sometimes motivates me to post or not post and my current mood also influences the manner in which I post so sometimes I am at odds with myself. I do not have an answer to how people react to forums and I do not understand the reason for total anonymity which some members hold dear (although the trouble causers and mouthy ones are obviously hiding because they are too cowardly to go out in the open) but as in any community it is based on a wildly differing set of emotions.

If I offend people I usually do regret it later, but by my nature I am abrasive so I do sometimes jump into things with an opinion and give that opinion in a strong manner that irks others. JO'D just posted an apology of sorts titled "I was wrong" aimed at Yalides, therefore I gather I am not the only one that posts things depending on my mood so I gather most members here are influenced the same.

I imagine the only way to get a true handle on a member is over time, when things eventually even out and the true person shows through. I myself will have to just go along posting then editing or deleting my posts depending on the remarks I receive in my inbox.

Well my boredom level is receding a bit now so I will move my fat a**e and do something constructive for a bit.

huggi2010

My thoughts on forums
Intresting post bickern- some of it I agree with some I dont which.in itself is partly.the point of your post.

On the other side of the coin I do not think this forum is particulary well moderated with some mods consistently taking the side of one faction or another- I suppose thats the cue for those concerned to start a " mods are great ' thread.

Cant please everyone all the time but even within your post bickern those you count as trouble makers may not be seen as such by others and of course vice versa.

Intresting stuff

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
My thoughts on forums
Excellent post.

Personally I disagree with posters being anonymous but that's the nature of a forum. So be it!
I've always been strong minded and stand up to be shot at if I find something offensive, too late to teach this old dog new tricks so I'll just keep ducking the arrows.

Thank heavens we're all different. Nothing like a good debate. :roundgrin

giglets

My thoughts on forums
Well reasoned Post, Bickern.

The dividing line between Trolls/Multi-Aliases etc.. and those normal members who just like to stir things generally, is a very fine one.

It is also debatable whether the strong responses which they get from their provocative/argumentative Threads or Posts, are of benefit to the majority of our membership.
On the other hand, a Forum devoid of such debates, would probably be a bit slow and boring.

Moderators soon realise that they can never please everyone all the time and quickly learn to expect a constant flow of criticism from certain quarters.
That criticism is almost always subjective, based on the critic's own point of view and should be assessed in that light.
The final arbiter, Mushtaq, can (and has in the past) take corrective action if he believes that Moderation has been wrongly applied.
Those who do not want to accept the present Admin system, always have the choice to move on.
Persistent whining about it achieves absolutely nothing, and never will.

Just about every poster on here, myself included, can be abrasive now and again - but there is nothing wrong with that if they feel strongly about the topic being discussed and stay within the Forum Rules.

There are definitely certain Topics which are guaranteed to raise the temperature on here and tempers can flair accordingly.
Over time, these can also become very boring with posters in entrenched positions re-hashng the same arguments over and over again - but they certainly raise the viewing figures while they last.

Anyway, like yourself, I need to get back to the Real World now and do some real chores!

Last edited:

hamburger

My thoughts on forums
Same old same old.

If your opinions are at variance with the somewhat sicofantic majority,you are a trouble maker.

If you are new and deemed a trouble maker you are also a troll- never seems to dawn on some of the more iq challenged that some of us who are new members have been readers of TLF for quite some time.

And so it goes on

bickern

My thoughts on forums
Same old same old.

If your opinions are at variance with the somewhat sicofantic majority,you are a trouble maker.

If you are new and deemed a trouble maker you are also a troll- never seems to dawn on some of the more iq challenged that some of us who are new members have been readers of TLF for quite some time.

And so it goes on

Sycophants aside (because they and their toadying posts buttering up probably even gets up some moderators noses), it is the PC brigade that tend to rile me in an instant and try as I might I can't help myself.

Good point you make that some new members are old readers because if a person comes on here and is someone who has been reading the forum for a while then they should not be surprised when certain members post negatively on what they post, they should be already prepared for the likely outcome and should expect it and should be aware they will be regarded as a Troll.

What intrigues me is the point at which someone suddenly decides to join the forum and burst into a thread with both barrels firing instead of easing themselves in slowly, because after all they were taking it slowly by being a reader before being a participator.

If someone is initially regarded as a Troll then it is up to the newcomer to dispel the theory, not the majority membership who are not by any means sycophants.

If your post is pointing out that a new member may feel they have been misjudged, then it is up to them to prove people wrong and if your opinion is that someone who takes it on board to challenge a new members post is somehow IQ challenged then you may need to read a bit more and digest the membership a bit more before posting and perhaps getting emotional.

I don't know if you are feeling you are regarded as a troublemaker and a Troll which has caused you to post, I for one do not regard you as such and it may well be I have interpreted your intention falsely.

To me it is the great cross mix of personalities that exist and the differing views that make a forum what it is and the division that exists is what stops the tedium. Your posts (although I have not read all) in my opinion go into the big pot that makes this particular forum interesting.

Last edited:

hamburger

My thoughts on forums
Bickern fair points well made

BUT its patently clear there are individuals and types of individuals who are very much favoured by the mods- that becomes so obvious any time theres a dispute between various groupings and the mods show no sign of impartiality whatsoever, indeed even posting on the side of one group!!! Pretty poor moderating.

Of course thats all fair enough and the right of the majority of TLF who lets face it are middle age, conservative (small c) types and if they are happy with such a set up good luck to them

But lets not pretend its a totally fairly run system.

Of course the option of if you dont like it move on is a valid one.

alison09400

My thoughts on forums
BUT its patently clear there are individuals and types of individuals who are very much favoured by the mods- that becomes so obvious any time theres a dispute between various groupings and the mods show no sign of impartiality whatsoever, indeed even posting on the side of one group!!! Pretty poor moderating.

As we have written on many occasions Moderators where and still are forum members with opinions of their own. Who wants a Moderator who's a robot and says/does nothing except delete posts and give warnings?

I could probably speak for all our Moderators and say that we enjoy this forum and not to be able to participate in debates, discussions etc would away that enjoyment.

hamburger

My thoughts on forums
Stating your opinion is one thing. Consistently taking the same side in group disputes is a totally different issue.

Alas I know it will never change- nor should it as thats the way most want TLF to be run. ( dont like it- find another forum applies)

But do me a favour dont try and dress it up as even handed!!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
My thoughts on forums
Sycophants aside (because they and their toadying posts buttering up probably even gets up some moderators noses), it is the PC brigade that tend to rile me in an instant and try as I might I can't help myself.

Well said Norman.

sued

My thoughts on forums
having seen the vitriol often posted on this forum and witnessed the obvious friends thanks brigade as a bystander who looks in and does not join in " be afraid -be very afraid " I will now have to say as much as I enjoy the forum it it dominated by a certain clique who it seems to me have only one aim and that is to to cause dissent and blame the moderaters when they dont get what they want which is a "fight " I am all for healthy debait but as a newby wh looks on and says not a lot -and mostly am afraid too -hell how many more are afraid to! you people who dominate this site with your vitriol ,make everyone new afraid to speak -you say its boring beacause you have not instigated a row .or the questions are boring -every newby on here came because they needed to know about Turkey and they may hav bought a property there or god ferbid had problems with that purchase -of course there is lots of advice from very good people but I HAVE TO ASK WHY do cetain members feel the need to to bring contenshous probably wrongly spelt
are you bored ? is the forum your only way to express yourself ?

like or not there is a certain clique on here and as sarqiue said WATCH YOURSELF

sue d

Latest Posts

Top Bottom