Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I have just got back from having my second Covid vaccination. So far so good.

I hope my arm does not perform like after the first injection. Still, where have I got to go? If it hurts and stops me doing things, then I won't do anything! I will have a duvet day!

Maisie

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I spoke to Mark yesterday evening, but he didn't tell me he was in pain with "one" of his hernias. He went to A&E who basically said he should have been dealt with "months ago". I thought it was about 18 months, but apparently it is nearer two and half years since the hospital said they would send for him.

Anyway, he got kept in and operated on sometime in the early hours of this morning. He has just called me to say he is now home. I am surprised as he had a general anaesthetic. As luck would have it, the surgeon that was on duty was a keyhole man, so he has not had large cuts.

They have signed him off work for two weeks, with very strict instructions as to activity. He is not happy about this, as he has just started a new job. He called them from the hospital and told them the position. Still, it's done now, so he can only get better.

Maisie

juco

My Bolshie Husband
I hope that Mark makes a quick recovery. With keyhole surgery they often let you home the same day now.
I had keyhole for gall Bladder, externally it looks really good but they still maybe cutting through muscle and other tissue etc so was warned the internals will be delicate for up to 6 weeks, no driving for 2 weeks as a sudden emergency stop could have the seatbelt doing a lot of damage due to its positioning. I think I was in for 2 days.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I must admit, I wondered about what had gone on inside. Mark said that a piece of mesh was inserted across each of the 'bulges', but whether this is stitched in or not, I don't know. I won't speak to him today, he said he is intending to spend the day in bed.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I also had my gallbladder removed with keyhole. Had op in the evening & discharged after breakfast the next morning. Didn't get to enjoy the benefits of being in the private hospital.

I too didn't make the quick recovery they lead you to believe it will be. The pain however was not where my gallbladder had been removed, but at the top of my leg/groin area. They either let my leg fall when moving me or pulled a muscle or something when they inflate you for the keyhole surgery. For about a week I couldn't get out of bed without my husband pulling me up.

I also still suffer with a sore belly button, which some days is actually quite sore looking. Made worse I believe because it had previously been cut for keyhole surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

Hopefully Mark won't suffer too badly.

juco

My Bolshie Husband
I too didn't make the quick recovery they lead you to believe it will be. The pain however was not where my gallbladder had been removed, but at the top of my leg/groin area.
Yip I spent a lot of time in bed for the 1st week and then slowly recovered from it, the pain for me was more like if I had just done 100 sit ups for the 1st time and the muscles aching from it. The bigger problem I had was the `toilet` eat a meal and find the nearest toilet that took about 4 months before my digestive system eventually adjusted, fine now though.

Jaycey

African Refugee
My Bolshie Husband
I was very lucky. In one day and the next morning I was up and about early waiting in reception for my wife to pick me up. No after effects whatsoever.

But my poor wife went straight to the ward and, seeing an empty bed, thought the worst had happened!

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Strange how this sort of surgery differs person to person. Mark did ring me last night. He said he only had a small amount of pain when going from sitting to standing and vice versa. He said he hadn't worked out properly yet where the 'holes' had been made, although he thought one was in his belly button. Problem is, he has a lot of weight round his stomach, and can't look down and see!

He asked Juliet to have a look as I asked him if he had stitches and he said he didn't know. He said he thought he heard the surgeon say "glue". Apparently she can't tell. But he has not been told he will have a follow up, so he couldn't have stitches or they would have told him when they would be removed. All they told him was that he should take it easy and only go back if he got a lot of pain.

There is a lot of information post-op on the internet. I told him to go and read, as he is saying that he feels he can drive as the car is automatic - only one foot in an emergency. I told him that not only should he consider this, but also the seat belt going right across both sites. He hadn't thought of that. He has been signed off for two weeks but, knowing him, I would put a bet on him returning before that.

He has never really had any health problems all his life, except a mild IBS that troubles him from time to time. So I know he is feeling that now he has had the operation - that is that. I can't say too much about that as when I had a hysterectomy, I wanted to go home the next day. They wouldn't let me out and made me wait until the next day. In on Monday, out on Wednesday.

Funny how this happened though. We had made plans for when he went in for this operation, and how we would get him home. I was going to do the moving. I am not sure how he got to the hospital though, as Juliet doesn't drive. Maybe one of Juliet's sons took him and collected him. I assume he didn't drive himself there or I think he would have 'phoned me to go there by bus to drive him back in his car.

Anyone been out today following lockdown? I am not fussed yet, perhaps later this week. But as Mark said, which shops am I desperate to go to? None. The food shops and W.H. Smith have been open all the time. But I do miss window shopping. I read somewhere that Primark are expecting queues outside today before they re-open. I also quite enjoy browsing about in the charity shops, but to be honest, I haven't really missed that. I went out yesterday and walked (?) to a Lidl shop for something I had seen in their newsletter. Unfortunately, the item I wanted hadn't been delivered. The distance was exactly the same, .9 miles, as I walked to the vaccination centre. Still, a bit of exercise can't hurt now. I had intended to drive there, but as the weather was quite nice, I decided to walk. Although I did take my Sholley as a "walking aid". Strangely, Mark told me off, saying that I shouldn't have walked. I must say though that I was a bit miffed that I had done the walk for nothing!

How long do we reckon before we get locked down again?

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Maisie, when you have keyhole surgery they inflate your insides & usually put a camera in through your belly button to see what they are doing. They then make 2 or 3 other incisions to do the actual surgery.

I would warn Mark not to drive just yet & to check his insurance before he does drive. Some policies don't cover you for a period after an operation.

I went back to the Leisure Centre today. It was good to go & see people that I hadn't seen for months, but exercising now involves cleaning before you use a piece of equipment and then cleaning it again when you finish. You also have to ask to use the toilets, so I walked the via the seafront toilets on the way there & the way back.
I had planned on a nice cup of coffee at the harbour or on the seafront, but we had snow followed by hail stones & although the sun was out again all the seats were wet, so I had coffee when I got home.

I walked through the High Street, the independent shoe shop had people queuing outside both times, as they have a closing down sell on. All the other shops were quiet. I expect that the out of town shopping centre was busy

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Thanks for that. I will speak to Mark about his insurance.

I have rather a funny picture in my mind of them blowing up his stomach. He tends to look as though he is in that state normally, let alone air being put in!

Maisie

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I went to the dentist yesterday. Doom and gloom! She confirmed that the tooth that has caused all the trouble, or more accurately the bits that are left, has to come out. I asked about a crown (to match the same tooth on the other side) and she said that the infection has shattered the root, so there was nothing to fix the necessary post into. She had taken x-rays all round so I couldn't argue with this. I tried questioning her on how she intends to do this, but she would not be drawn. Only saying that she had all the equipment necesary for the extraction. What worries me is that if the root is in several pieces, they are well down in my gum - so how does she get to these. I asked about having 'knock-out drops' for this, and she said that if I wanted this, I would have to be refered to the hospital.

As she was going round my teeth, I was getting more and more worried as she dictated to her assistant the work that was needed. After, she explained that although it sounded like 20 - 25 fillings, these are all supplemental to the fillings already there. She said that what was needed was a bit of work to these fillings where they were breaking down at the edges, or an amount of decay was showing around them. Sounds pretty horrible to me! I am pretty sure she missed one. I have a filling at gum level on the inside of one of the bottom molars. I am sure this is falling out completely. I will have to talk to her about this. We talked about the two teeth that have disintegrated on the top towards the back, but she said that although she could extract all the remaining pieces of these also, as they were not giving me any trouble, I could leave them. I opted for leave them!

Then came the biggest problem. Although Band 3 of the NHS is £282.80 and says it covers everything in Bands 1 and 2 plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work, she said she cannot replace my chromium cobalt denture because she said the NHS will not cover metal ones. Which is odd, because by clicking on the word dentures, another part of the NHS site opens up which says "Dentures are removable false teeth made of acrylic (plastic), nylon or metal". I asked how much it would cost for a metal denture, and she said it would be £700.00!

I am going to have to think about this very carefully. I asked, and she confirmed, that the denture the NHS will partially fund is only back to square one with a pink plastic jobbie that will cover the whole of my palate - which the metal one does not. I want to see one of these before I decide. Of course, having said all this, I have agreed up to Band 2 at a cost of £65.20. This covers everything so far planned including any extractions and all fillings sorted out. Band 3 course of treatment is £282.80. This says it covers everything from Bands 1 and 2 plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work. So I intend to discuss with her why I would have to pay £700 for a metal denture when the NHS site does in fact mention metal.

Although I have now paid £23.80 for Band 1, this is now deducted from the charge of £65.20 for Band 2, so I will have to pay only £41.40 at the next visit.

Mark seems to think she is flannelling me in order to obtain more money. Obviously, they do also provide dental care as a private patient. I am not sure where to go now. I am wondering about contacting the NHS and asking specifically about a metal denture. In theory this would save the NHS money, as it will last longer, like the one I have now which is fifty years old.

Mark did say though that had Dave still been here, he would say to go ahead and pay the £700. I must say, I agree with this. Dave always made sure that if I needed something (like this) he would make sure I had it. Really this is going to come down to cost. I have now a vastly reduced income than when Dave was alive. £700 is a lot of money to find.

My next appointment is at the end of May. The dentist said that, due to Covid, they try to do as much work as possible at one visit, rather than patients having to go back several times. This does mean that the whole of my mouth will be aneasthetised which, in the past has not been recommended due to the possibility of biting cheeks, tongue etc. whilst it cannot be felt. Mark says he has had this twice, where his whole mouth was dead. I am not looking forward to this at all!

A lot to consider now.

Maisie

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Oh wow! I just emailed the NHS and have had their reply already.

They confirm that metal dentures are included in their Band 3, as shown in NHS Service (Dental Charges) 2005. I have printed their email and the relevant regulation. So, maybe I will not have to argue with my dentist - just show her these print outs. I will not show her these until after she has finished all the other work.

Being pessimistic, I am envisaging her to say that this is all very well, but they, as a practice, do not provide this service. Which will mean trying to find a dentist who does! I would imagine that dentists who also have private patients, will be able to pick and choose which services they will provide on the NHS.

Why is nothing straightforward?

Maisie

Jaycey

African Refugee
My Bolshie Husband
I went to the dentist yesterday. Doom and gloom! ...
I recently had several teeth removed, no problem. I laid back, relaxed and fantasized about the pic of a bikini beauty on the wall. I was mildly irritated when the dentist had finished & brought me back to reality. :)

But a word of warning, unless you really need coffee afterwards DON’T unless you want the wet T-shirt look! 😊

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Jaycey: this is so brave! I assume the reference to coffee relates to your mouth being numb. I think I would have to be relatively near death's door before agreeing to this.

Mark made the suggestion to me: why not have them all removed! If he had been here I would have slapped his leg!

I only have this latest problem tooth missing on the bottom. Out of the sixteen teeth that should be on the top, I have eight remaining. This does not commute to total extraction. I think I know why he suggested this though. Juliet has been gradually losing her teeth over the past couple of years. This is, I think, due to bone loss through diabetes. Dave gradually lost all his teeth this way. The bone shrinks and the teeth get loose and eventually fall out. He sometimes woke up with a tooth in his mouth, having fallen out over night.

She is more petrified of dentists than I am - and that is saying something! Her "plan" is that she will not go to a dentist until they have all gone, and there will be no pain. How she manages to eat I don't know. All her front teeth top and bottom have all gone. In fact, last year after shopping in a large Tesco, we went to their cafe for lunch. She had fish and chips and during the course of the meal, the remaining front top tooth fell out. She is obviously very conscious of this as she never smiles without putting her hand across her mouth.

I remember that my mother went into hospital to have about six bottom front teeth removed. I have 'inherited' her root problem. All her teeth had three or four very long roots, which made normal ways of extraction difficult. They had to take the teeth out sideways and she had her gums stitched. Makes my stomach crawl! I had a problem with one top tooth, which the dentist expressed great surprise about. He pulled out the tooth, which had the one root he was expecting. But he knew something was wrong, and took an x-ray. This showed three more roots still in the gum. He wrestled (no other word can describe it) to get these roots out. Unfortunately, one of them was hooked at the end and was in my sinus. He hadn't noticed this, but when he told me to "rinse", the water came back down my nose! The hook had ripped out the bottom of my sinus and the water was going up and out through my nose. He ummed and ahhed as to whether to stitch it. I said I would rather leave it. But I was then instructed that until it healed, I was not to cough, sneeze or blow my nose! Also, only drink and eat on 'the other side'. This was not easy, but I managed. The dentist yesterday commented, after looking at the x-ray, there appears to be - as she put it - a couple of roots still lying horizontal in my gum. She can leave those alone! I told her this. I knew they were there but they are not causing a problem. So far as I am aware, my bottom teeth do not have this multiple root problem.

Bloody teeth - I hate them!

Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom