Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I spoke to Mark yesterday evening, but he didn't tell me he was in pain with "one" of his hernias. He went to A&E who basically said he should have been dealt with "months ago". I thought it was about 18 months, but apparently it is nearer two and half years since the hospital said they would send for him.

Anyway, he got kept in and operated on sometime in the early hours of this morning. He has just called me to say he is now home. I am surprised as he had a general anaesthetic. As luck would have it, the surgeon that was on duty was a keyhole man, so he has not had large cuts.

They have signed him off work for two weeks, with very strict instructions as to activity. He is not happy about this, as he has just started a new job. He called them from the hospital and told them the position. Still, it's done now, so he can only get better.

Maisie

juco

My Bolshie Husband
I hope that Mark makes a quick recovery. With keyhole surgery they often let you home the same day now.
I had keyhole for gall Bladder, externally it looks really good but they still maybe cutting through muscle and other tissue etc so was warned the internals will be delicate for up to 6 weeks, no driving for 2 weeks as a sudden emergency stop could have the seatbelt doing a lot of damage due to its positioning. I think I was in for 2 days.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I must admit, I wondered about what had gone on inside. Mark said that a piece of mesh was inserted across each of the 'bulges', but whether this is stitched in or not, I don't know. I won't speak to him today, he said he is intending to spend the day in bed.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I also had my gallbladder removed with keyhole. Had op in the evening & discharged after breakfast the next morning. Didn't get to enjoy the benefits of being in the private hospital.

I too didn't make the quick recovery they lead you to believe it will be. The pain however was not where my gallbladder had been removed, but at the top of my leg/groin area. They either let my leg fall when moving me or pulled a muscle or something when they inflate you for the keyhole surgery. For about a week I couldn't get out of bed without my husband pulling me up.

I also still suffer with a sore belly button, which some days is actually quite sore looking. Made worse I believe because it had previously been cut for keyhole surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

Hopefully Mark won't suffer too badly.

juco

My Bolshie Husband
I too didn't make the quick recovery they lead you to believe it will be. The pain however was not where my gallbladder had been removed, but at the top of my leg/groin area.
Yip I spent a lot of time in bed for the 1st week and then slowly recovered from it, the pain for me was more like if I had just done 100 sit ups for the 1st time and the muscles aching from it. The bigger problem I had was the `toilet` eat a meal and find the nearest toilet that took about 4 months before my digestive system eventually adjusted, fine now though.

Jaycey

African Refugee
My Bolshie Husband
I was very lucky. In one day and the next morning I was up and about early waiting in reception for my wife to pick me up. No after effects whatsoever.

But my poor wife went straight to the ward and, seeing an empty bed, thought the worst had happened!

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Strange how this sort of surgery differs person to person. Mark did ring me last night. He said he only had a small amount of pain when going from sitting to standing and vice versa. He said he hadn't worked out properly yet where the 'holes' had been made, although he thought one was in his belly button. Problem is, he has a lot of weight round his stomach, and can't look down and see!

He asked Juliet to have a look as I asked him if he had stitches and he said he didn't know. He said he thought he heard the surgeon say "glue". Apparently she can't tell. But he has not been told he will have a follow up, so he couldn't have stitches or they would have told him when they would be removed. All they told him was that he should take it easy and only go back if he got a lot of pain.

There is a lot of information post-op on the internet. I told him to go and read, as he is saying that he feels he can drive as the car is automatic - only one foot in an emergency. I told him that not only should he consider this, but also the seat belt going right across both sites. He hadn't thought of that. He has been signed off for two weeks but, knowing him, I would put a bet on him returning before that.

He has never really had any health problems all his life, except a mild IBS that troubles him from time to time. So I know he is feeling that now he has had the operation - that is that. I can't say too much about that as when I had a hysterectomy, I wanted to go home the next day. They wouldn't let me out and made me wait until the next day. In on Monday, out on Wednesday.

Funny how this happened though. We had made plans for when he went in for this operation, and how we would get him home. I was going to do the moving. I am not sure how he got to the hospital though, as Juliet doesn't drive. Maybe one of Juliet's sons took him and collected him. I assume he didn't drive himself there or I think he would have 'phoned me to go there by bus to drive him back in his car.

Anyone been out today following lockdown? I am not fussed yet, perhaps later this week. But as Mark said, which shops am I desperate to go to? None. The food shops and W.H. Smith have been open all the time. But I do miss window shopping. I read somewhere that Primark are expecting queues outside today before they re-open. I also quite enjoy browsing about in the charity shops, but to be honest, I haven't really missed that. I went out yesterday and walked (?) to a Lidl shop for something I had seen in their newsletter. Unfortunately, the item I wanted hadn't been delivered. The distance was exactly the same, .9 miles, as I walked to the vaccination centre. Still, a bit of exercise can't hurt now. I had intended to drive there, but as the weather was quite nice, I decided to walk. Although I did take my Sholley as a "walking aid". Strangely, Mark told me off, saying that I shouldn't have walked. I must say though that I was a bit miffed that I had done the walk for nothing!

How long do we reckon before we get locked down again?

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Maisie, when you have keyhole surgery they inflate your insides & usually put a camera in through your belly button to see what they are doing. They then make 2 or 3 other incisions to do the actual surgery.

I would warn Mark not to drive just yet & to check his insurance before he does drive. Some policies don't cover you for a period after an operation.

I went back to the Leisure Centre today. It was good to go & see people that I hadn't seen for months, but exercising now involves cleaning before you use a piece of equipment and then cleaning it again when you finish. You also have to ask to use the toilets, so I walked the via the seafront toilets on the way there & the way back.
I had planned on a nice cup of coffee at the harbour or on the seafront, but we had snow followed by hail stones & although the sun was out again all the seats were wet, so I had coffee when I got home.

I walked through the High Street, the independent shoe shop had people queuing outside both times, as they have a closing down sell on. All the other shops were quiet. I expect that the out of town shopping centre was busy

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Thanks for that. I will speak to Mark about his insurance.

I have rather a funny picture in my mind of them blowing up his stomach. He tends to look as though he is in that state normally, let alone air being put in!

Maisie

Latest Posts

Top Bottom