evo80

My Bolshie Husband
Its worth checking out your local council website to see if they have a list of Trusted Traders

https://apps.derbyshire.gov.uk/applications/trusted-trader/profile.asp?tid=56705

or which.co.uk
https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/popular/roofers/

just put felt roof or shed roof and your post code in the boxes

That's where I got my guy from .Trusted Traders. Before that I had one guy wanted to put fibreglass on one of my bigger roofs .Once I got the price I said forget that ,the current felt roof has lasted 28 years and was not leaking .I just thought best to get it re felted after all that time before I need to in a hurry .Not being morbid ,but at my age I am pretty sure I won't be here next time it needs doing .LOL

My Bolshie Husband
Thank goodness they didn't get the better of you.
I think that you should report them to your local trading standards as some other elder person will be ripped off by them.
We didn't pay much more than that quote to get our whole roof refelted & all the slates replaced.

Can you contact Dave's old company to get a quote?

I know that it is difficult with the Covid situation, but maybe you could get a male neighbour to come around and be there when you get a quote

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I am beginning to think along the same lines now as evo80. The felt and chippings have lasted now for 38 years. I think this sort of mineral felt is only guaranteed for about 15 years at most. So, same thinking, 15 years will probably be ample - and a lot cheaper!
Although I intend to live to 125 years old in order to thwart the DWP. I told them this years ago now (another long story) and must, therefore, carry out my threat!

Dave's company no longer exists unfortunately. I am still in touch with some of Dave's friends from that time (he was there for 35 years), but sadly none of them are roofers! If I remember rightly, the outfit that did the roof originally were a firm of sub-contractors that Dave's company used from time to time. Whenever the roof, or indeed the shed itself was mentioned, Dave always referred to the men by name, not company.

I went shopping last night with Juliet and Mark and she said her son was gobsmacked when she told him how much I had been quoted. I must say, it also came to my mind that I could probably have the whole house roof done for that cost! Strangely though, the company is quite a large concern and has been around for a long time. Mind you, if they charge - and get - those sort of prices, this is hardly surprising.

Maisie

evo80

My Bolshie Husband
The guy I used gives a 10 year written guarantee , and it's 3 layers of pretty heavy duty felt ( after ripping off old felt ) can't see any reason why what I now have wont last over 20 years at least . I actually did the big roof with a friend ,and that lasted near 28 years.
Trouble is these firms that do DGlazing and doors and then add roofing stitch you up I reckon .If you find a roofing co that only do roofing you will get a far better deal.

Kanga

My Bolshie Husband
Those quotes are eyewatering! We had all our extension (that's kitchen bathroom hallway and cloakroom) reroofed 4 years ago with fibreglass for £3k.

evo80

My Bolshie Husband
You would be lucky to get that price anywhere now for fibreglass .My last quote for 15 by 18 feet was £3500 .And the guy told me they did not need to strip old roof off . ( told him no way)So it's less work for 3 times the money .I paid £1200 for that roof with completes strip off and 3 layers new felt .

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
My Bolshie Husband
You would be lucky to get that price anywhere now for fibreglass .My last quote for 15 by 18 feet was £3500 .And the guy told me they did not need to strip old roof off . ( told him no way)So it's less work for 3 times the money .I paid £1200 for that roof with completes strip off and 3 layers new felt .

If I put your roof in the costing link i gave earlier it comes out at £3500 inc labour for GRP, how do you know the size of Kanga's roof ? it may be slightly smaller than yours.

Martin

Last edited:

evo80

My Bolshie Husband
I don't .I am just saying you can get crazy prices from diff people for glass fibre .when I said the word You I meant it in a general term ,not to Kanga personally .

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I got a message that I had been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid. I took myself into the local testing station on Saturday. Not a nice experience.

I have just had an email to say I am negative.

The email has a lot of information about self isolating, but in my case it doesn't really matter as I am not planning to go anywhere.

I had already told Mark that whatever they wanted to do, I would NOT be going to theirs for Christmas day. Technically I can, although I am now in Tier 4, and am included in their bubble. Mark was a bit upset, but I told him that I wanted to be on my own for this first Christmas without Dave. I would not be good company anyway, so better to be by myself.

I think he is working Christmas day now - double bubble for the day. I saw him briefly today when he came to borrow my thermometer. One of those in the ear jobs. He is just being on the safe side. I do have another one and also one that goes under the tongue, so I can still check myself. I will see him before Christmas though, but I don't know what day. He was talking about going shopping earlier. But he passed our local Asda on his way to me, and the queue was astronomical! I've told him, I have no desire to go shopping anywhere, probably this side of the new year. My basement is bursting! I could probably survive for a few months without setting foot inside a shop.

Anyway, I am glad I had the test, as every muscle twinge or cough was making me wonder if I had picked up the virus somehow. Just have to wait now until they decide to vaccinate my age group and send for me. I will definitely have the vaccination and Mark said he will too. But Juliet says she won't. I don't know why. As a diabetic on insulin she is used to needles so it can't be a needle phobia. Still, at the end of the day it is her decision.

Maisie

shash

shash
My Bolshie Husband
I've also just found Maisie's posts. Yes I know I'm a bit slow with this new format.
Any way how has your year started Maisie? I hope it's got off to e decent start.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Well, I suppose the highlight so far is that I tested negative for Covid just before the new year started! My GP practice is expecting to get the vaccine imminently. But, they have not rebuilt yet since catching on fire last September. They are operating out of a cabin in their carpark. They have set up a site in a church, which is about an hour's walk from my home. This will probably be the nearest. I will just have to get started early with my rollator!

There are no parking facilities there so walking has to be the best.

Mark was supposed to be working Christmas Day, but the shift got pulled at the last moment. He didn't ring me for which I am grateful. He and Juliet came here on the day after Boxing Day. They didn't stay, which suited me. I really do not think that Mark has even the first idea of how I felt about Christmas and New Year although he said he understood.

I still get upset almost daily when I come across something that Dave bought me, or that he used. I had a sort out in the bathroom the other day and found Dave's razor on a shelf. When he was in hospital they used to shave him using disposable ones. Only today I came across a pair of woolly gloves that I got for him when he said his hands were always cold. Mark keeps telling me to have a real blitz. He expects me to throw away everything of Dave's. Sorry, I can't. Maybe one day I can tackle this, but certainly not yet.

So, I am jogging along and waiting for my call for the vaccination. I have told Mark I am not going out anywhere until this happens. He seems to think that as we are in the same bubble, I can go to their's for tea now and again. Not until I have had my vaccination.

Maisie

Last edited:

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
I got the call yesterday morning. Horrendous day weatherwise - very windy and lashing down with rain. Storm Christoph. Still, needs must.

It took me 50 minutes to walk to the vaccination centre. Waited in a well organised queue that snaked round a large indoor apparently basketball court, got in and registered and had the vaccination. I was supposed to wait 15 minutes, but asked after five if I could leave. I felt perfectly well and it was getting dark outside. They said it was up to me - so I left. More wind and rain.

Today, my arm feels like it has been punched. Unlike the flu vaccination, my arm hasn't swelled - yet! I was given a leaflet which lists the possible side effects, but says that it may take one or two days before these appear. I don't care. I have had it now. It seems I will get a call again when the next one is due. The leaflet says within 28 days, but this has now changed to twelve weeks.

Just before seven o'clock I got a call from the pharmacist who is attached to our GP practice. It seems that the chemist (next door) has raised a query concerning two of the regular medications I take. I have been taking both for more years that I can remember. However, it seems that this particular "combination" interacts with each other and - oh my God - can cause osteoporosis! I have this already, is this why?? Anyway, the pharmacist has changed one of the medications. Result I suppose, it is one a day instead of two of the other one. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Took them long enough to pick it up. So much for the 'reviews' I have attended over the last few years.

I can unfortunately, see a parallel here with my mother. I discovered that when she was in her mid seventies, she was still taking HRT. When I queried this with her she said she just got repeats of all medications without question. When I spoke with her GP, he was horrified and stopped them immediately. This did have a beneficial effect though, as her bones were like iron. She fell or slipped on ice many times and got nothing worse than a few bruises.

I am now looking at the other medications I take. At my next 'review', I am going to query the wisdom of taking all of them. I have to say that some of them go way back, and I can't now remember why I am taking them. Hopefully the practice computers might have this information. According to the pharmacist, the rebuild after the fire is going well. They are expecting to open again fully round about March time. When I know they are operational again, I might see if I can get an appointment with the pharmacist chap. Hopefully by then we may have a clearer picture regarding the lockdown.

I do wonder what Dave would have made of all this. He died right at the start and although I tried to explain to him that visiting was now being restricted, I don't think he realised. When he was in hospital, I used to take him the free Metro newspaper and talked to him about this virus, but at that time this country was not aware of what was in store. The news all focused on China. It seemed too far away at that time. Little did we know what was about to get unleashed.

Maisie

Last edited:
My Bolshie Husband
Pleased to hear that you got your vaccine Maisie. Unfortunately people do appear to be having to travel to get them, as they seem to be being given at larger venues on the edges of the towns/villages.

Hopefully when your Doctor's Surgery is rebuilt it will have moved into the 20th Century. Where I used to live their systems were really old fashioned and their computer system rather old. Since moving 3 years ago, I now have a excellent Doctor & Pharmacist. All the records are online & when something is prescribed warnings etc flash up on the screen for them to double check things or to inform you of things.
Even the Pharmacist here calls you in for reviews of your medication. He asked me if I knew why I was on a particular tablet, as it was decades old & newer less addictive ones had since been developed. They were also meant to be for short term use, not the 5 years plus, which I had been taking them for.

10 years ago my mum ended up in hospital due to a bad combination of medication. She had been taking Thyroid tablets for many years & at a health check the Doctor noticed that her blood pressure was raised, so added tablets to lower it. To start with she thought that she was going down with flu, as both my sisters had caught it & they were frequent visitors. Soon she couldn't get out of bed & had a home visit from the Doctor. He just prescribed rest & cold & flu remedies. She then collapsed in the bathroom & my stepdad called an ambulance. After just a day or 2 in hospital with various blood tests etc, a nice young Doctor declared her condition was caused by a lack of salts. These had slowly been drained from her body by the bad combination of tablets she had been taking. Luckily within a few weeks she had recovered. It was a scary time though & when she first arrived at the hospital they thought that she had dementia & expected her to have a career. They were shocked & I don't think that they initially believed us when we said that she was normally fit & healthy & she was the care giver not the receiver.

shash

shash
My Bolshie Husband
Maisie good idea to check all medications as you may find you dont need half of them.
Couple of years ago I went to the doctor with my late husband to ask them why are you prescribing three particular drugs for him to take several every day. The doctor mumbled whilst looking af the computer and told me why they were prescribed. So I thanked him and said 'do you realise they are all the same drug but with a different name?'. He hadn't made the connection neither had the assortment of drs that had been prescribing over the years . My husband was just taking them like a good patient for years. It's my guess that it was all these tablets that sent him to an early grave.
Everyone should be looking into what they are given regarding tablets.
Hopefully your sore arm will feel better I a few days. Some have no soreness others have a punched in the arm sore.

juco

My Bolshie Husband
Same here, years back when I got a stent put in after a year or so I questioned one of the medications I was still taking, My doctor nor the hospital could tell me why I was taking it, apparently they also checked my records and could find no reason for it on their system.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
It is frightening to read that this "prescribed medication" affects so many people. Quite apart from the health implications, such a waste of money for the NHS with unnecessary medication being given. These are obviously very high hidden costs. I cannot remember why I am taking some of my medication. When I spoke to the Pharmacist the other night, he told me why I am taking one of the medications that the chemist had queried. When he told me, I remembered. But on my own, I don't think I would have known - too long ago! Dave's medication was under constant review and got changed frequently.

I do get what they call 'reviews' every so often, but until now my medication has stayed the same. My next review is due in six months, and the Pharmacist agreed to sort out not only the specific medication, but also the amounts I get each prescription. They all finish at different times and I am having to request repeats roughly every two weeks. Stupid! He asked me to get a list of the amount of each I have left, and he will give me an interim prescription to bring them all in line. I did ask for this once before, but nothing happened. By the time this is due, hopefully I can have a proper face to face appointment with this guy rather than trying to sort it out on the telephone.

My GP practice was very modern - before the fire! In a very large purpose built building with lots of clinics running on a regular basis and nearly always at least six doctors taking appointments at every session. Also, a visiting surgeon did small operations. I had a toenail removed once, much quicker than waiting for a hospital appointment. Dave had an operation there for Dupuytren's contracture, and later a carpal tunnel operation. Such a useful facility. Hopefully this facility will be restarted, which will ease the hospital waiting lists a bit.

The Pharmacist chap told me the other night that whilst loads of their equipment was not damaged in the fire as such, they had to scrap everything due to smoke damage as they could not rely on any results this equipment gave them. As all the doctors use personal laptops, I assume that all patient records are okay. The chemist is in the same building, next door, although you can get in through the surgery. Also an optician. One of the now retired partners owns the piece of land this was built on and got mega bucks in rent. I assume he is still around and has been busy checking his insurance documents! It seems the fire actually started in the chemist's.

Yesterday, through the day, my arm got much worse. I had trouble taking my sweatshirt off when I went to bed! But - this morning, I can hardly feel it! Yay!

Mark called me last night. It seems both he and Juliet have registered with a new agency, and have been allocated new jobs together in the same location. However, they both had to take a Covid test before starting. Mark was just warning me in case the results come back positive. I am not sure what this will mean for me in view of the fact that I have had the vaccination. From what I can gather, this vaccination takes about two weeks to become effective. If he tests positive, I will call 111 and ask for guidance. It doesn't really bother me about isolating, as I have not been out anywhere since before Christmas until Wednesday when I went out for the jab. Worrying for them though, as they will not be able to work. As agency staff, they do not get paid when they are not working. The results will take about five days they have been told. So fingers crossed.

There are rumours today about giving people testing positive £500 if they have to isolate and cannot work. But, as always when these things crop up, you have to be in receipt of certain benefits before this will be paid. It seems that if this is agreed, they are hoping it will encourage more people to take the test.

Maisie

My Bolshie Husband
Glad to hear that your arm is better today. A friend that is a Health Visitor & age 55 had her jab the other day. She got cold symptoms and her arm hurt for 2 days. Others she works with got headaches. At least now the rest of us truly know what to expect.

I must say that I was surprised that she had vaccine, as she had actually caught Covid in April & had high antibody levels when she had them checked in June. She had donated samples of her blood for scientific research.

Apparently she had the vaccine, as they don't know how long the antibodies last. I do wish that they had tested her blood again to see if she still had any of the original antibodies.

With regards to the Covid testing, I personally am not keen to go for a test. Don't fancy the test itself & have concerns about catching Covid from others being tested.

My daughter works as a private career for a young disabled mother. Unfortunately one of the other careers ended up with Covid, so my daughter had to get tested & take time off work. She was lucky in that they gave her extra shifts afterwards to help make up her money. In the meantime she had received £500 from the bank of Mum & most likely help from my ex husband. I do hope that she will qualify for a Government hand out in the future. She had looked into claiming benefits, but it seemed really complicated & didn't look as though she would actually be able to claim anything for just a short period without work.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom