teosgirl

Muslims (or Christians or Jews for that matter) are no good for anyone
What harm could come from an atheist generation? An atheist is good for the family, for the country, for the nation, for himself... A religious youth is no good to anyone. It doesn't matter if they injure us or shoot us, 4+4+4 will pass this week.

Shockingly insulting statement to make isn't it?
But in reverse, that's exactly what this MP has said.

POLITICS - An atheist is 'no good,' says Turkish MP

Why do these supposedly religious types have to be so condescending and assume that atheists have no bloody morals?

Charlotte

You're quite right Charlotte, its a horrible statement to make. No one has the right to dismiss any other group. I know plenty of Atheists who are better people that some people of apparent faith. We all just do the best we can, no one can say anyone is 'no good'. Rubbish. I must admit though, I read your first para and I was thinking 'What! How can she say that! How dare.... oh, hang on I see what she's done!' Glad I read to the end! Lol.

teosgirl

Thanks Helen,

I believe there are many (supposedly) religious people such as this MP, who think that because atheists have no commandments, we can be dismissed and condemned (as an entire group of people) for lack of moral living. But this is just unfair.

Just because I don't have a set of rules to adhere to, doesn't mean I live a promiscuous, selfish, hate-filled deceitful lifestyle - atheists can be nice people even without a book!

I'm worried that this attitude is becoming more widespread and acknowledged in Turkey - after all it was only a couple of weeks ago the PM said the same thing.

Charlotte

A closed and feeble minded individual, like so many in the AKP ranks at this time. They know they have no viable opposition in the country now except for the people, and are strongarming them to do whatever they want. No longer is helping the whole population of the country on their agenda, but to appease their bread and butter ranks, Islamists and the Gulen movement. Can't see the education levels or a better educated workforce coming out of this education bill, in fact, I see it sliding backwards. The AKP will get what they want, medresas returning and girls working more and more in the fields. Terrible.

teosgirl

Hi Steve,

I hope you and your lovely wife are well.

I hear your concerns, my own personal opinion is that the introduction of vocational education after completing only 4 years of regular schooling (without compulsory pre-school now) is way too young; it will allow some parents to enrol their children in specific professions, without proper consideration of the child's possible academic future.

Why any MP from a supposedly secular government feels the need to comment on the better qualities of a religiously-minded person in society is beyond me.
It is actually none of his business and he shouldn't use his position in society to share his own personal belief, which is nothing short of hate speech.

Charlotte

chelsea boy

Dun Goat Herding!
When the only credible opposition is a xenophobic dinosaur then the alternative is no better! I find that Turkish people of a certain generation are totally blinkered to all things non turkish/muslim. Try farming pork ! The education system within the strict grasp of the milli egitim is stifled and extremely narrow. For example Darwin is a monster! other religions are taboo and the histories of other countries not worthy of a mention!
The country is a slowly awakening but is so easy to stifle with the governmental powers...... i guess it will just take a bit longer before the general populus "wake up and smell the coffee!"

An atheist cannot cite a deity to justify their cause therefore we only have ourselves to blame!

Charlotte we have been on about the hidden agenda for a few years now...many people couldnt see further than the economy doing ok and didnt concern themselves with the broader picture...
for everybody with children this is a disaster ..and a tragedy for girls

this party will get its way unfortunately.

hamburger

If they are so terrible/ hated why do the Turkish people elect them?

pepperkat

From"Gods Own Country"
Charlotte I understand your concern, if I were in your position I would have the same concerns. As someone who has no religion, I obey civil laws, and put family values at the foremost in my life. I feel that I don't need nor want any religious laws or commandments to run my life by. Does this make me a lesser person for this, I personally don't think so, but I will leave that to others to judge. I have a loving family, who have been brought up to make their own decisions on whether they wish to follow a religious path, or a similar path to myself, I have never advocated my way of life to be superior to any other, and I never will. However I don't want any politician telling me how I must run my life in any religious form whatsoever .
How you go about things like this in Turkey, i havn't a clue, but I wish you luck.

Expat42

I'm in the middle on this one. I think that if a person doesn't believe in a higher power - totally separate from any religious definition thereof - then there is something fundamentally unsettled in their minds. I wouldn't trust someone who doesn't trust or doesn't possess their own innate instinct to be curious about their existence and maker.

On the other hand, while I am a Jew, I don't consider the teachings of Judiasm or any "rules" its human interpreters may impose on my behaviour as any kind of serious system. It takes an equally unsettled mind to cling onto these aging, flawed and contemporarily nary-applicable religions as anything other than a powerful piece of human culture. Certainly the anthropological implications of religion are vast within our society's honor, justice and moral codes... but a supernatural manifestation? Really, it just weakens the point.

Time to stop arguing over fairytales and get down to the actual ethics that they were trying to palatably serve to our less-enlightened ancestors a couple of millenia ago.

Charlotte ( and any other persons with school age children here) - will you leave the country if this educational bill becomes law? I would in your place.

kemerkid

________
If they are so terrible/ hated why do the Turkish people elect them?

If you don’t understand the complexities of these simple people, you probably never will and the answer to your question would take forever and you still wouldn’t understand. Small inducements go a long way in this country and the people take the line of least resistance on most things. That’s all assuming the majority of Turkish people did in fact elect them.

Needless to say there are some people on this forum that came to Turkey for reasons other than the beach, bars and generally trying to relive their youth who are concerned for the future here and it is unsettling. As Shirleyanntr has stated many people are blinded by the economic changes here and turned a blind eye to the real agenda. I for one do not want to wake up one morning and find that the country has been transformed overnight, which is a real possibility. My Turkish wife feels the same after living in the UK for twenty plus years and would be in the queue at the airport before me, even if it meant leaving everything behind.

hamburger

If you don’t understand the complexities of these simple people, you probably never will and the answer to your question would take forever and you still wouldn’t understand.

Lol

Cant decide whether youre being more patronising/insulting to the entire Turkish population or myself!!!!! "These simple people!!!! Lol!!!

Kalkan regular

The Golden Girls
Expat42 I must have a totally unsettled mind and you certainly wouldn't trust me. I haven't noticed the problem with the mind and those who know me know I am trustworthy and honest!!!! You are showing a great example of those who look down on someone who doesn't have a belief as deficient in some way.
I don't believe that those who believe are flawed, it is their choice (or some might say indoctrination from their upbringing!). I get really fed up of those who wear some religious/belief mantle thinking they are better than those of us who don't. Many of us non believers live a life which is morally sound because we believe it is the right way to live rather because of some religious dogma.

I think by 'simple' he meant uneducated of which a great proportion of the population are and AKP went out of its way to get the votes and loyalty of these people.

Saoirse

Expat42 I must have a totally unsettled mind and you certainly wouldn't trust me. I haven't noticed the problem with the mind and those who know me know I am trustworthy and honest!!!! You are showing a great example of those who look down on someone who doesn't have a belief as deficient in some way.
I don't believe that those who believe are flawed, it is their choice (or some might say indoctrination from their upbringing!). I get really fed up of those who wear some religious/belief mantle thinking they are better than those of us who don't. Many of us non believers live a life which is morally sound because we believe it is the right way to live rather because of some religious dogma.

Bang on KR.

Laughable really when comming from a self confessed Zionist ( Jewish nutty fundamentalists) who base their entire hate filled drivel of superiority around their fairytales of being their gods chosen race.

kemerkid

________
Lol

Cant decide whether youre being more patronising/insulting to the entire Turkish population or myself!!!!! "These simple people!!!! Lol!!!

My point exactly, your level of understanding is demonstrated in your reply.

Lol, what a stupid phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom