Aleynasdad

Muslim converts
Hi!

The experience of a Muslim convert is a little different from those who were brought up with Islam or lived in an Islamic commmunity from birth.I would be interested to know (other than me of course) who here is a Muslim convert. By this I mean anyone who lives by the Shahada (Eshedu enla illahe illalah, eshedu enne Mohammedan Resullulah)... that's all. As to how far you practise Islam is up to you.

I feel that the voices of converts are not heard that much and as the issue of Islam and the Western World has become more of a hot topic I thought to create a discussion group of converts only. Perhaps we have new perspectives on the West and Islam discussion...or perhaps we just want to share each other's expereinces of being converts :)

Lindacm

Muslim converts
Hi!

The experience of a Muslim convert is a little different from those who were brought up with Islam or lived in an Islamic commmunity from birth.I would be interested to know (other than me of course) who here is a Muslim convert. By this I mean anyone who lives by the Shahada (Eshedu enla illahe illalah, eshedu enne Mohammedan Resullulah)... that's all. As to how far you practise Islam is up to you.

I feel that the voices of converts are not heard that much and as the issue of Islam and the Western World has become more of a hot topic I thought to create a discussion group of converts only. Perhaps we have new perspectives on the West and Islam discussion...or perhaps we just want to share each other's expereinces of being converts :)

Hello Aleynasdad,

My husband and I became Muslim nearly 20 years ago and yes, we would be interested in any future discussions.

Although I do not subscribe to the Shahada that you state above, believing that the declaration of faith should be made to God Alone.

Peace,

Linda

lara

Muslim converts
Selam Aleynasdad

I reverted to Islam, and I am a Sunny Muslim, so I believe in the Shahada.

I'm always interested in having discussions around Islam, I'm still in the learning stage, and still have lots of questions.

Seperating out faith from culture is a real dilemma for me, mainly because they are so interwoven, so it would be interesting to hear someone else's experiences.

Aleynasdad

Muslim converts
Great...thanks Lara

As I said Im thinking of setting soemthing nup but not sure if it would be appreciated on this site. As a moderator, Linda what do you think... is it better to have it somone else or will it be ok here?

As I said it just for sharing of experiences and ideas without judgement or criticism.

lara

Muslim converts
My suggestion is to use the forum already set up on here.

People in the main are pretty respectful, and we should be used to the criticism by now,lol.

Also, I've found that often other's display an interest and knowledge that is quite enlightening, and we would miss that if the forum was elsewhere.

A89

Muslim converts
Reading your thread has made me think.......................Just an observation -but dont you think some people may think its kind of prejudiced to have something only for muslims? apologies if I misundertood and I personally have nothing against it at all and this is a forum and a 'virtual community' as opposed to a real life community but I know if in my real community we suggested anything at all for people who are Christians or white there would be a lot of objectors.
I do hope you decide to have it on here because I think it will make very interesting reading. I wouldnt personally want to convert to Islam but I have great respect for anyone who does and Im very interested in all aspects of Islam and I find all views interesting. I think it would certainly be a good topic.

Last edited:

lara

Muslim converts
As far as I'm aware, noone in the real community gives a thought to groups which cater solely for their own issues, religion, whatever, unless it's attached to an irrational fear.
I understand where Aleynadad is coming from, often as 'converts', we can be isolated and sometimes just want to discuss issues we may have, without people being judgemental.
But, as I have already posted, we have to take the good with the bad, that's life!

A89

Muslim converts
As far as I'm aware, noone in the real community gives a thought to groups which cater solely for their own issues, religion, whatever, unless it's attached to an irrational fear.
I understand where Aleynadad is coming from, often as 'converts', we can be isolated and sometimes just want to discuss issues we may have, without people being judgemental.
But, as I have already posted, we have to take the good with the bad, that's life!

Yes I understand what you mean Lara, I think irrational fears cause a lot of the problems between people from different ethnic origins. I for one would be very interested in reading about your experiences and I do understand you wanting to be able to discuss your problems,feelings and experiences without anyone making negative judgements and comments.

Aleynasdad

Muslim converts
This was why I suggested that maybe we need to find elsewhere..... anyone is prepared to take part of course but we ve had so many Islam-based discussions on here and elsewhere. I thought it would be great to get the converts voice heard above the cacophony a little. It doesnt have to be here.

A89

Muslim converts
This was why I suggested that maybe we need to find elsewhere..... anyone is prepared to take part of course but we ve had so many Islam-based discussions on here and elsewhere. I thought it would be great to get the converts voice heard above the cacophony a little. It doesnt have to be here.

I agree , not sure how you will stop others from posting their views though. A bit like me posting now lol..............so on that note I'll slope off and leave you to it and just add that I do hope you go ahead and it works out well.

lara

Muslim converts
But that's why we need to keep it on an open forum, IMO.

I've taken a few knocks on this forum, but I'd like to think I'm a better person for that, if I can hold my own here, I can hold it anywhere.

If your interested A89, ask a question.

Last edited:

Lindacm

Muslim converts
Great...thanks Lara

As I said Im thinking of setting soemthing nup but not sure if it would be appreciated on this site. As a moderator, Linda what do you think... is it better to have it somone else or will it be ok here?

As I said it just for sharing of experiences and ideas without judgement or criticism.

Hello Aleynasdad

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am away from home untıl Tues wıth limited Internet access.

I personally have no problem with using this forum. The only reservation I have is that others who have no interest will join in and spoil it for those who have the interest.

My opinion would be to start off here and if that doesn't work out we can work something else out that will.

I'm sure that there is plenty on this forum forother members without the need to worry about this singular thread relating to Muslim converts only.

Peace,

Linda

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Muslim converts
A89 -

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not quite sure if the intention was to limit the room to Muslim converts only. I could be wrong though & I myself wouldn't have an issue with it.

When I first joined the forum, I did a lot of browsing and bumping around in the dark to figure out what is where. Well one day I watched a YouTube video posted in the Golden Girls room that just about made me wet myself it was so funny. I posted a comment sharing my reaction only to be sternly reminded that this was for the "Golden Girls" only. So for those members that may oppose a room limited to a certain group of Muslim converts, would you dare voice those same opinions to any of the Golden Girls? Tread lightly, they come armed and travel in groups. :behindsof

mrkeith

Muslim converts
It needs to be in an open forum like this so people can read about the subject.
Any derogatory coments can easily be removed by the moderator as it is lynda.
Most the people that don't like the Islam bits have had it blocked at their own request.

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Muslim converts
I agree with mrkeith and others and think an open forum is the best place for it, and we can monitor for any problems. It's also possible to have private sub-forum if a group of members request it and I think it would help them, it could be for a personal matter or property related like a complex or other financial problems.

bebs

Muslim converts
A89 -

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not quite sure if the intention was to limit the room to Muslim converts only. I could be wrong though & I myself wouldn't have an issue with it.

When I first joined the forum, I did a lot of browsing and bumping around in the dark to figure out what is where. Well one day I watched a YouTube video posted in the Golden Girls room that just about made me wet myself it was so funny. I posted a comment sharing my reaction only to be sternly reminded that this was for the "Golden Girls" only. So for those members that may oppose a room limited to a certain group of Muslim converts, would you dare voice those same opinions to any of the Golden Girls? Tread lightly, they come armed and travel in groups. :behindsof

Hi Lemonhead, sorry to hear you got that reaction from watching video. Golden Girls is a laugh ,just that a laugh, which a lot of people have a giggle at. Personally my religion and politics are private ,dont discuss them . Cant see why you feel Golden Girls had to be singled out as to opposing a room for Muslim converts. IMHO its not comparing like with like. Not armed ,and on my own.............Bebs

Last edited:

Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Muslim converts
Hi Lemonhead, sorry to hear you got that reaction from watching video. Golden Girls is a laugh ,just that a laugh, which a lot of people have a giggle at. Personally my religion and politics are private ,dont discuss them . Cant see why you feel Golden Girls had to be singled out as to opposing a room for Muslim converts. IMHO its not comparing like with like. Not armed ,and on my own.............Bebs

I was making a caparison about having rooms dedicated solely to certain members. I'm sorry you took it as if GG was opposing a room for Muslim converts, but NOWHERE in my post did I mention (or infer) GG views on such topic. I would really like to know how that was deciphered from my post, because if I did say it, I'll accept it. However, without having said anything like that, I don't exactly find it fair to make that connection and once again have the GG ready to circle the wagons.

I rather posed the question how some members could be against this one room but find it acceptable to have another "private room". Either way, I don't care, but for those that do, it seems a bit hypocritical.

Perhaps it's the room topic that makes some uncomfortable.

Muslim converts
İ dont think Ali was being offensive...just wondering about how members view 'private groups' on an open forum..and the only example he had to compare was his experience on the GG's.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Muslim converts
I am just making a general comment on the concept of having a 'closed' group e.g of XYZ only on an 'open' forum.

Whilst I'm sure the knowledge and experiences of each would be invaluable but as everyone including non-members can read but not comment it may give the appearance of creating further divisions on what is and has been a fairly open unrestricted forum. Not saying it will, but it's possibility it may appear like that, if that makes sense, lol.

See how it goes anyway, Good Luck.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom