yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Mugla Mussels
The only time I was ever ill in Turkey in 30 years was after eating stuffed mussels, from Kipa!

Martin

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Mugla Mussels
The only time I was ever ill in Turkey in 30 years was after eating stuffed mussels, from Kipa!

Martin

I went to Normandy in about 1983 to translate for an English caravan holiday company, it was January. We ate mussels and I had to keep nipping out of my meeting with the solicitor to vomit in the gutter. Awful. Again in Togo in W Africa in 2000, the head brought mussels in for a treat for the staff at lunchtime. I was taken sick about 3 hours later. I had to stop the car outside the President's palace to throw up and the guards were threatening to shoot me if I did not move on. I still eat them though.

Kanga

Mugla Mussels
Keep them live for 24 hrs in seawater and feed them oatmeal to clean them through.

Camden

Mugla Mussels
I have eaten the battered mussel in a sandwich in Istanbul but they are done in boiling oil which kills any bacteria delicious ..........also at friends house here in London rice filled mussels boiled nice...

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Mugla Mussels
Traditionally we would eat them in a sandwich under the Galata bridge in Istanbul with a large beer. Nice!

Jaycey

African Refugee
Mugla Mussels
Frankly I’m surprised that Muslims eat mussels – surely all shellfish are haram?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Mugla Mussels
I still eat them, I was unlucky, in fact we just bought 2 boxes of mussels in a chorizo sauce today.

Martin

mollag

Kipper restorer
Mugla Mussels
As a sprog we would collect them from the harbour as bait, strictly warned not to eat them as they were "poison" by the old salts. This has stuck with me and no amount of assurance that they are grown in clear free flowing water will convince me to imbibe. To me they will always be just bait, Buckies [Whelks] are the same, line bait.:nosepick:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Mugla Mussels
Yes they are haram, but restaurants near us proudly advertise that they are 'alkolsuz' but then offer crayfish and crab on the menu. Go figure

alkolsuz = 'soft'? IE no shell?
106dkx1.jpg

Meanwhile there seems great aversion to sushi in Turkey - here every coffee shop, cafe & restaurant (inc Spanish, Italian, MacDonalds etc!) have what they call sushi on the menu.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Mugla Mussels
Times are changing here in Turkey. The only foreign restaurant in our county town, population 200 000, is a sushi restaurant, but we reckon it will be closed in 3 months. We found coriander in the market this week. That is something we have had to grow in the past.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Mugla Mussels
Interesting IA, I find the same here and in Turkey - locals seem reluctant to try new things.

In the Trabzon fish market I was shocked to see the amount of prawn & shrimp tipped to garbage.

Two years ago we had new Indian, Chinese & Turkish restaurants opening up – none lasted more than 6 months (even though they all sold both pizza & sushi! :)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom