muffins and scones
Anybody got any recipes for impressive muffins and scones..i need to show my turkish sisters we can cook.
i just heard the worst thing ever.....sitting in the garden with a group of women and they said that an english man they knew had said that in turkey men are lazy but women are very hardworking...whereas in England the men work hard but the women are very lazy!!!!
i want to find that man!

muffins and scones
shirleyanntr said:
Anybody got any recipes for impressive muffins and scones..i need to show my turkish sisters we can cook.
i just heard the worst thing ever.....sitting in the garden with a group of women and they said that an english man they knew had said that in turkey men are lazy but women are very hardworking...whereas in England the men work hard but the women are very lazy!!!!
i want to find that man!

Wow lads!
Recognition at last
Dont Turkish women have good taste haha

AzraCansel

I give up, let me die
muffins and scones
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Ingredients

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. poppy seed
1 tbsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 tbsp. butter melted
2 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup milk

Directions

Grease twelve muffin cups. In a bowl stir together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degree for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool muffins on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Dip tops of muffins into melted butter and then into the 2 tablespoons sugar to lightly coat. Serve warm.

You can also make it using half the milk and half lemon juice for more lemon flavor.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
muffins and scones
Crap at scones - you could use mine as a discus at the Olympic games :lol:

İ love muffins though and just get recipes off the net depending on the ingredients İ have available.

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/general-cooking/10917-muffins.html

Did you have any particular ones in mind? Apples are a bit dear at the mo but what about strawberry muffins? Banana and walnut ? Chocolate banana? Heck this is no good for my diet.

Aunty

muffins and scones
My daughter-in-law is Canadian and she makes bluberry muffins from her Mothers` recipe and they are to die for. The last time we were in UK she made some for us and I couldn`t resist. I asked if she could send some in the post!!!!! They were so good -If anyone interested I could get recipe from her for muffins.,

Pam & Sam

muffins and scones
Hi, these never fail!!
RICH SCONES
8 oz SR Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 oz margarine
1 oz sugar
2 tablespoons Raisins or currants
1 egg beaten with milk to make 1/4 pint liquid

makes aprox 10 scones

Mix flour and salt, rub in margarine,stir in sugar and fruit,
add egg and milk reserving drop to brush tops of scones
knead lightly on a floured board and roll or press out to
about 1cm thickness.Cut into rounds, re roll trimmings and cut more rounds
Place on greased baking tin, brush tops with egg and milk mix
Bake in hot oven 220C, 425F or gas mark 7 for about 10 mins.

CHEESE SCONES

6 oz SR Flour
1/2 reaspoon salt
pepper and mustard
1 oz margarine
3 oz grated cheese
1 egg beat with 2 tablespoons milk

Mix flour and seasonings, rub in margarine
stir in cheese
mix to soft dough with egg and milk keepig a bit back as before
Roll into a round 1cm thick. or just over, cut into 8 triangles
Place on greased baking ray, brush with egg/milk and sprinkle with some more rated cheese, bake in hot oven 220C 425F gas mark 7 for 10 to fifteen minutes, lovely eaten warm split and spread with lots of butter

Hope these are useful

Joelle

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
muffins and scones
Please please aask for the recipe for bluberry muffins. I make mine with cranberries & feta and apricot and feta... love the sweet sour effect. My family often bring me fruit flavoured stilton cheese (mango & ginger my favourite) and this goes splendid into a basic muffin mix...

muffins and scones
Lynda what was the basic muffin mix you had in that book i was reading...cant remember the mix

some of the recipes given look great..going to try them out on my clever clogs neighbours..getting a bit tired of saying yes we know how to make food!!

Aunty

muffins and scones
Pam and Sam- thank you very much for recipe- but-----in Turkey you can`t get self raising flour only plain flour which to me is very heavy. I think I would be able to make somethink like a muffin only if using "bero". Lynda I will find out the recipe for you- Give me a couple of days.

Dalamanli

muffins and scones
For me scones should be plain flour with bicarb (assuming you can't find some milk "on the turn") they need to have slight sourness to them.

Unfortunately, many British treats don't lend themselves to being made under Turkish weather conditions, especially pastry and scones. Even with stone work-surfaces, my wife struggles to replicate the shortcrust she does in England. With the current heatwave, it will be really hard to do the rubbing in for the crumble mix to start your scones.

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
muffins and scones
İf you need SR flour just add a sachet of baking powder and (bit of a faff) sieve the flour at least 2 times or until your arm drops off:)

İ remember when İ was a newly wed it became like a competition with my sister-in-laws who were all as anxious to impress my hubby as İ was or just out-do me :lol: İf İ made pancakes they made pancakes. İf İ made a cake they made a cake. But İ did impress them all with an upside down cake which İ used sliced apple for and it was one of those rare occasions that it turned out bloody perfect. Then he got stroppy cos İ had to share it among 11 relatives just for show-off value and if he'd had his way he wouldn't even have let ME have a piece hehe. My apple turnovers were admired as well - well İ assume they were because one of his sisters stole some but that's another story:)

Just slice up a lemon and stuff it Shirleyann...oops İ meant melon but come to think of it their expressions would be interesting

Pam & Sam

muffins and scones
Aunty said:
Pam and Sam- thank you very much for recipe- but-----in Turkey you can`t get self raising flour only plain flour which to me is very heavy. I think I would be able to make somethink like a muffin only if using "bero". Lynda I will find out the recipe for you- Give me a couple of days.

In that case I would add baking powder to the plain flour which I have been told you can buy in Turkey in sachets. I think they would still be OK, but will try myself when I am in Turkey (and after we have bought an oven etc.) next week! I'll let you know how they turned out.
Pam

Aunty

muffins and scones
Have made scones with baking powder but they didn`t rise very well. Still got eaten tho`

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
muffins and scones
Ok Shirley - here is the recipe you was looking at:
2.5 cups (375g)flour plus baking powder
90g butter chopped
1 cup ( 220g) sugar
1.25cups (310ml) buttermilk (ayran)
1 egg slightly beaten

Grease the muffin tins
Sift flour into bowl
Rub in butter
Stir in sugar buttermilk and egg *
Do not overmix - mixture should be lumpy
Spoon into tins
Bake in mod oven for 20 mins
Afiyet olsun

* this is the stage I add my variations...
some options:
3 teasp mixed spice
1 cup ( 190g) mixed dried fruit

3/4 cup (140g) choc bits
1 cup (120g) chopped walnuts

or the other combos I mentioned earlier

Happy Baking

Go show them girl.......

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
muffins and scones
Looks the biz but İ dunno where you find buttermilk here. Plus İ am too lazy for rubbing in - İ just have 2 bowls. One for wet stuff (incl. oil) and one for dry then fling the wet into the dry and thats it.

A workfriend of mine had a fantastic Muffin recipe book which we all photocopied (in our work time of course:) ) İ must try and re-discover that. Her muffins were to brag about!!!

muffins and scones
hi peaceplant..and i had a look at your link..you must have posted it about the time i was moving down here..so i didnt read it!!..its also nice and easy..so thanks for that.

buttermilk..why you just use good old ayran instead
turkish women use yogourt a lot in cake and bread making..it also acts as a raising agent...

GnD

muffins and scones
This thread is great as the girls and I tried to make scones - someone else who puts mustard and pepper in their mixture yay thought we were the only ones - BUT the flour of which there were only two options in Sevikoglu didn't work well at all!

We never fail with our scones here in UK but the flour was really heavy as Dalamanli said and they were a joke.

We're thinking of taking our own flour next trip is this allowed for personal use only?

Debbie

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
muffins and scones
Always have used Ayran as buttermilk - works just as well, gives it a nice "bite"

fozzy

muffins and scones
Hi
just cheat! get someone to bring some over from Marks and spencer, For my childrens school fetes etc i resorted to cheating as the ones i actually made looked like they had been made by monkees and were always left at the end of the event! so thought if you can't beat hem join them, so used to buy them from m and s , take them out of the packaging and put them in a lovely tin , (with a doilly in of course!) they went down well!!

pat

muffins and scones
Oh Kim.....My man was sooooooooo pleased to see your muffin recipe, insisted I print it off immediately, and make them asap!! He still talks about how lovely they were when you served them to us at your last house!

I just hope mine turn out as good as yours, well the apple cake did so hopefully these will too.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom