ZiaCa'

Moving with Cats
I will be moving soon and am I concerned about the cats settling in their new home.

I have acquired these cats (about 8-10) and would like to continue to feed them and look after them.

Two are very homely and love being indoors. The rest are happy outside under their shelter as long as they are fed regularly!

Where I am moving to, there is a large covered area - like a barn.... that can be used to pen them in for a while if needed - I don't know if this could be a good idea? The garden is the private 1000sqm and walled.

None of the cats are used to cars or dogs (which we don't have, but there are probably a few strays about)

Any tips welcome, please help!

Last edited:

judi

Is the sun shining?
Moving with Cats
Hi Carla, its so great that you are continuing to care for these cats.
Cats Protection recommend that cats are kept inside the new home for 3 weeks so they become familiar with their surroundings and new routines. Then let the outside for a few minutes before a meal and call them back in to be fed. Continue this everyday letting them out for longer each time and calling them back in each time.

I think for the ones who are used to being outside closing off the barn for the same length of time would be a good start, then following the same routine as above.

In my experience cats do become used to cars, although it doesnt mean they dont get injured or worse, and can run fast enough to escape from dogs, greatly helped if they are familiar with where they live and know where to run to.

I hope this helps and good luck with the move

ZiaCa'

Moving with Cats
Hi Judi
Great - thanks for your advice. Luckily we have the barn that can be used as you suggested. Of course there aren't that many cars around in the winter so hopefully, come the busier months, they will have learnt to stay away from the roads!

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Moving with Cats
If it makes you feel any better our cats have moved 9 times in 5 years. They have lived indoors for months, or lived outdoors and adapted brilliantly every time though they do get stressed. The barn sounds great and they will be fine. Cats feel better if they have places to hide especially off the ground. Even a few cardboard boxes hidden in strategic places will be great for them to huddle till they feel more secure. If you are storing stuff in the barn they will probably find spots on top of it where they can keep watch. They will try to bolt so be careful when you are going in and out.

The idea of starting to let them out when they are hungry is good - then they will be eager to come back for food. Our cats were eager to explore but didn't stray too far at first - they hated the confinement period and it never had to last very long.

When we went to Adana for a few months they lived inside and I had the bright idea of buying them collars and leads so I could take them out. Big mistake! They both escaped and I was hysterical!! Luckily Maddy is like a dog and comes back if you call her so much to her disgust she was re-introduced to indoor living sharpish. Tilly decided to hide in the apartment building and refused to come out but eventually we coaxed her back and I was sooo relieved.

As for roads - it's scary living near one. Unless you keep them in you have to weigh up the risks of them enjoying an outdoor life with the risk of traffic, dogs, idiots with poison etc. Some cats are excellent with traffic - others hopeless. But you can't train them as far as I know - you just hope they will keep well away. We have come home to Maddy laid in the middle of the road oblivious to the danger!! Heart in mouth time!

ChrisBobs

Moving with Cats
I read this old advice and tried it last time we moved with a cat ( who was very much Madame Independent) - put butter on their paws once insde the new house. They lick their paws, and it is a behaviour associating them with comfort/ security...anyway she stayed around.

I don't know how you will go with the 'outside cats' - the boxes/ comfy corner high up sound right.
Good luck

carolk

R.I.P
Moving with Cats
I buttered my cats paws, didn't know if it was an old wives tale but, tried it anyway and along with keeping him inside - worked well. Good luck Carla, I'm sure all will be well.

Vet-Yaser

www.didimvet.com
Moving with Cats
-->: Moving with Cats

It would be best to keep ın barn couple weeks before allow to go outsıde. Gıve blankets to keep warm because very cold now.

jcrian

Moving with Cats
We've found keeping them inside for a day or two works. As long as they know where their food dish is they certainly won't forget.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Moving with Cats
We only kept ours in for a couple of days - then let them out (just before dinner time). Ours have a cat flap and after a short mooch around, they were back again for their grub. No butter required.

jcrian

Moving with Cats
and if in doubt don't forget.................

219qm8p.jpg

14vlcpg.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom