Suecoo66

Moving to Turkey - Pros and cons
This is my first post on here so thought I'd start in the test area

My daughter recently moved to Hisaronu to live with her Turkish boyfriend who has a hotel in Hisaronu
We visited this month and spoke to quite a few ex pats who made living there sound great, but what are the pitfalls ?
Myself and my husband have to have prescription meds every month so worry about this
Also what benefits can you still claim ?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Re: Pros and cons

You can collect your pension although if ukip get in they will abolish them, and this is your second post

Martin

beyazbayan

Only your basic pension and you will have to ask what the cost of the meds are and you may need a prescription which you will need to see a doctor for and that will also cost. Also re health look at the medical insurance you need to get your resident permit.

Girlfriend and boyfriend not always accepted in Turkey and if the Ak party get back in they have stated they will make co-habitation illegal might be problems down the line. Your daughter cannot work legally with out a work permit and unless the job is one no turk can do it could be difficult to obtain one and without if working illegally you can and will be deported at 24 hours notıce if reported and fined and banned from returning and yes it happens every year.

İ would do a lot of research both for yourself and daughter before making any moves.

Whilst not wishing to be a kill joy - you say boyfriend runs a hotel - how old is he - remember marriage here is usually at a young age and many men who work in the tourist trade have a wife and children in their home village or town often a wife who cannot be dumped as she is a family member and that means he will loose his family and family here are still very important. Over the years the number of young yabancis who have been gulled and left heart broken and often pregnant are too many to record make sure she does not add to their numbers. When all is said and done this culture is very different and what you see in costal resorts on a holiday is not reality.

trevoro

what sort of benefits are you expecting to claim.
Is it things like unemployment, sickness

bal canavar

“Je suis l'humanité.”

Only your basic pension and you will have to ask what the cost of the meds are and you may need a prescription which you will need to see a doctor for and that will also cost. Also re health look at the medical insurance you need to get your resident permit.

Girlfriend and boyfriend not always accepted in Turkey and if the Ak party get back in they have stated they will make co-habitation illegal might be problems down the line. Your daughter cannot work legally with out a work permit and unless the job is one no turk can do it could be difficult to obtain one and without if working illegally you can and will be deported at 24 hours notıce if reported and fined and banned from returning and yes it happens every year.

İ would do a lot of research both for yourself and daughter before making any moves.

Whilst not wishing to be a kill joy - you say boyfriend runs a hotel - how old is he - remember marriage here is usually at a young age and many men who work in the tourist trade have a wife and children in their home village or town often a wife who cannot be dumped as she is a family member and that means he will loose his family and family here are still very important. Over the years the number of young yabancis who have been gulled and left heart broken and often pregnant are too many to record make sure she does not add to their numbers. When all is said and done this culture is very different and what you see in costal resorts on a holiday is not reality.

That's a bit harsh, and quite a broad sweeping statement regarding the boyfriend and his work in the tourist trade.
Suggesting that he most likely will have a wife and kids stashed away in a village. It does occasionally happen, but you make it sound as if its the norm if you work in the tourist industry.
You are right to point out the pitfalls but you will most likely find that most people wont take advice. They just read into it what they want to hear as it is their dream. The last thing they want to hear is the reality of living here.

Last edited:

beyazbayan

It does occasionally happen, all too often and lets be honest no-one in the tourist industry is going to tell them and if as you suggest they will just ignore it then that is their choice but at least they have been told of the downside.

Suecoo66

He definitely doesn't have a secret wife or family and is 29yrs old.
She has been to his property near Tekirdag and has been with him for several years. She did not meet him in Turkey so wasn't a holiday romance, they met whilst working on a cruise ship together for 3yrs.
His parents also live at the hotel and she has met his extended family too.

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
12 month old thread and we are still waiting on what's happened in the last 12 months and what kind of benefits they are gonna collect,if they can.Come on!! what's been going on!!!!!.
Trev.

Suecoo66

12 month old thread and we are still waiting on what's happened in the last 12 months and what kind of benefits they are gonna collect,if they can.Come on!! what's been going on!!!!!.
Trev.

They are still together and no he's definitely not married ! I'm considering either a move in the future when we are a bit older or some long visits.
It was curiosity what you can get as an expat. I'm assuming we'd be able to get a pension.
Do far I've heard no pros which surprises me as the forum has a lot of members who live in Turkey?

ted j

Pros
Fruit and veg is dirt cheap
So is eating out if you don't frequent all touristy places , we have just had dinner with drinks and it came to 33 lira (£7.76)
The weather is generally a lot better than the UK , although it can get freezing cold in winter , electric/water council tax are all way cheaper than the UK
We take meds and they are not expensive (I use otrivine nasal spray which is about £3.80 in the UK but here it's 6 lira ....about £1.41 )
Dental treatment is a fraction of the UK for really excellent results

Cons
Meat can be expensive (apart from chicken)
Medical insurance is too, (private that is ) ...you can't get medical insurance over age 65 so you'll have to join the SGK, but have to be here 12 months before you can do that
You will be treated as a second class person beaurocracy wise and will be targetted as a cash cow by a lot of Turks (Do walk away a hell of a lot)

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I agree with Ted J except for the second class bit. I find that burocratically we get first class treatment, but we do speak reasonable Turkish and the Turks are fascinated when a foreigner speaks their language. My advice would be to learn the language as well as you are able and to use it at every opportunity. When you are in a market don't just jump in to buy things, listen to what the Turk next to you is paying first.

Petrol and road tax are expensive if you are planning to buy a car.

Lifestyle and relative lack of violent crime are definite positives. Here we never feel threatened by groups of youths, have not seen anyone drunk in 10 years here.

Gook luck if you decide to come out.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom