Moving to Manavgat September 2022
Over Christmas I managed to convince my husband to bring forward his retirement date by 18 months, so we are now planning on moving to our villa in September next year.

I have lots of questions to ask, so decided that it would be easiest to start a new thread, so that all my questions & your answers are easy to find.

We have started preparing for our move, by decluttering all our belongings. This weekend we have rounded up all our photographs & are sifting through them. Luckily we have scanned most of them in the past, so have digital copies as well as the originals. I have binned all the rubbish ones & sorted the others into boxes, a box for us & one each for our daughters.

I am now beginning to put the photos that we are keeping into albums, but am undecided about whether this is the right thing to do. Would it be better to take them just in boxes instead? or maybe even invest in some plastic photo storage boxes.
Another option would be to sort them & put them in one of the metal fireproof tins that we have.

Please can you all give me some feedback on what you did when moving. Thank you Julie

timmiez

Hi there! Congrats on your early retirement. It might be a good idea to digitize the photos as a backup before shipping them. Not too sure how to transport them sorry!

I'm also considering a move to Antalya region, and was looking into villas. Did you buy yours or have it custom built? Is it more cost effective to have it built?

Also please do share more about the Manavgat area. How is it for expats? I was thinking of the main Antalya city like Konyaalti and Lara but the prices there are quite high. Wasn't sure if there are some good areas in other regions like Manavgat.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
We put everything that we wished to bring into a half container and shipped it all. We did think about digitising photos, but were too busy working and packing up. I thought that we would have much more time to do these things when we retired to Turkey. They are still in boxes upstairs 14 years later. The only difference between working and retirement is that when you are retired you work for 7 days in a week, not five. I sincerely hope that you enjoy it as much as we are. Snow on the hills across the lake this morning, stunning. Lock down? Oh yes, bring it on!

We brought our villa back in 2005, at the time the villa was a couple of years old. It is on a sitesi with a communal pool, but we are lucky because it is detached and has it's own walled in garden.
I think that I was lucky with our purchase, as the site was built by a group of business men from Ankara. We found out that they all saved together to buy the land, then built their own villas. The man we brought from owned several villas, whereas all the other owners just owned their own villa. The owner we brought from sold all 3 of his villas, which worked out nice for us, as it means we have some Belgium & German neighbours, to give us a bit of a mix.

Originally we were intending to buy in Spain, but we were put off by the silly price increases & the large amount of building going on in Spain. I actually ended up coming out to Turkey on my own with my daughter for a week & viewed a mix of villas and apartments between Belek & Alanya. I think I ended up buying our villa over the others as it was detached with it's own garden. Sometimes we find it a little too far away out of the main towns, purely due to the limited amount of restaurants within walking distance, but on the whole it is good. We often have a night in a hotel in Side or Alanya & are then happy to head back to the peace & quiet of the villa.

We are just off the D400 so have easy access to places & can get just hope on a bus somewhere if we want, although in reality if my husband is there we always drive. We have a variety of shops within walking distance, including a butchers, a barbers, a hairdresser, a fairly good supermarket. We also have an under pass to the beach, but don't use it very often as it has a lot of pebbles & shingle

For what I spent, we wouldn't of been able to afford to of brought land & built our own. If I was going to do that, I wouldn't rush into it. I would check out the areas properly and try to rent or stay in a few different type of villas to get an idea of what you would actually like to build, as well as where. A lot of villas, like ours is 3 storey, but if I was building for our old age, I wouldn't built that high. It means too many stairs & the height always makes maintenance harder.

There are a lot of English expats in the Side area & German expats in Avsallar & a mix in the places in between

I am currently watching a thread on the Facebook page Side Turkey Antalya, where someone has started documenting their house build.

enoch

We brought our villa back in 2005, at the time the villa was a couple of years old. It is on a sitesi with a communal pool, but we are lucky because it is detached and has it's own walled in garden.
I think that I was lucky with our purchase, as the site was built by a group of business men from Ankara. We found out that they all saved together to buy the land, then built their own villas. The man we brought from owned several villas, whereas all the other owners just owned their own villa. The owner we brought from sold all 3 of his villas, which worked out nice for us, as it means we have some Belgium & German neighbours, to give us a bit of a mix.

Originally we were intending to buy in Spain, but we were put off by the silly price increases & the large amount of building going on in Spain. I actually ended up coming out to Turkey on my own with my daughter for a week & viewed a mix of villas and apartments between Belek & Alanya. I think I ended up buying our villa over the others as it was detached with it's own garden. Sometimes we find it a little too far away out of the main towns, purely due to the limited amount of restaurants within walking distance, but on the whole it is good. We often have a night in a hotel in Side or Alanya & are then happy to head back to the peace & quiet of the villa.

We are just off the D400 so have easy access to places & can get just hope on a bus somewhere if we want, although in reality if my husband is there we always drive. We have a variety of shops within walking distance, including a butchers, a barbers, a hairdresser, a fairly good supermarket. We also have an under pass to the beach, but don't use it very often as it has a lot of pebbles & shingle

For what I spent, we wouldn't of been able to afford to of brought land & built our own. If I was going to do that, I wouldn't rush into it. I would check out the areas properly and try to rent or stay in a few different type of villas to get an idea of what you would actually like to build, as well as where. A lot of villas, like ours is 3 storey, but if I was building for our old age, I wouldn't built that high. It means too many stairs & the height always makes maintenance harder.

There are a lot of English expats in the Side area & German expats in Avsallar & a mix in the places in between

I am currently watching a thread on the Facebook page Side Turkey Antalya, where someone has started documenting their house build.

Sounds to me you are in a good place with good access and still have your peace and quiet, you don't know how many people would love that.

I think that it was down to luck/instinct. We will see how well I chose when we try living there permanently, plus things can change for the better or the worst with all the new developments that pop up here & there.

Chasey

Your about 20mins down the road from us in Augustus Village which is on the D400 5km before you hit Seric

Chasey

Hi there! Congrats on your early retirement. It might be a good idea to digitize the photos as a backup before shipping them. Not too sure how to transport them sorry!

I'm also considering a move to Antalya region, and was looking into villas. Did you buy yours or have it custom built? Is it more cost effective to have it built?

Also please do share more about the Manavgat area. How is it for expats? I was thinking of the main Antalya city like Konyaalti and Lara but the prices there are quite high. Wasn't sure if there are some good areas in other regions like Manavgat.

Built is a risk unless you know what your doing. We baught off plan and I inspected all the build stages (I am a surveyor)

depends on what you want but you can pick up a 4 bed villa for around 120K on our site

We are the other side of Manavgat in Cenger. Just checked on the map, we are 40 minutes away along the D400

Villas on our site are cheaper at around £75,000

Latest Posts

Top Bottom