OLIVER

Moving the Dog to Turkey
Hi

Has anybody any knowledge or experience of taking their pet dog to Turkey?

I presume I have 2 options :

1. Air direct to Turkey and I believe I just need documentation to show innoculations is this correct?

2. By car thru Europe, presumably in this case I will need to get him chipped and a passport?

Thanks for any help.

patrish

Moving the Dog to Turkey
you will find lots of information if you go to the search panel as a few people now have done this in different ways

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Although it's expensive, it's far easier and probably less traumatic for you both, to fly him out.

Contact your local vet and get him/her to give you the details of what you need to do. Also take a look at the DEFRA website where you'll find plenty of info about exporting animals. Defra, UK - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

For further info about flying him out take a look at the website for Overhill Kennels at Overhill Kennels & Exports

Whether you and your dog come by road or air, he'll have to have all the correct paperwork, he must be chipped and inoculations must be up to date.

Last edited:
Moving the Dog to Turkey
We bought our dogs over last year.
Contact defra or look on their website and it gives all relevant details.
We used a company called Jetset Pets to organise documentation for the flights inorder to get a direct flight to Bodrum.Their costs were very reasonable and Gill will explain all the procedure.
You can use Turkish Airlines where the animals are considered excess baggage-again contact them for advise-but you have to fly via Istanbul and the travelling time is longer overall.

mangrego

Moving the Dog to Turkey
Hi there
I have booked my dog with thomson for september to take my dog to Altinkum, you need to contact Defra they will send you some details online to fill out, and they will send your vet a export licence to fill in the dog has to have a rabbies jab no nearer that 15 days pria to departure. then your dog needs to have a health check no more than 96 hours before the flight. this must be done, the dog must be microchipped as well.what airport will you be flying from as i am going from gatwick. you must make sure your crate is airlined approved and the dog must be able to stand and turn around in the crate.
thomsons airways were very good with all the details if you need a numver and contact just email me and ill be happy to supply you with more details.
regards:animation

Last edited by a moderator:

carolk

R.I.P
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Having done this myself, please be aware my dog came out on the luggage carousel after repeated promises that he wouldn't and I could collect him in cargo!!!!

I mention this because I got my suitcases and went to look for the private transfer I had booked because I had a dog, found it, put my cases on etc then went to the cargo area only to find my dog had been going round the carousel. I would obviously have taken him first had I known. I was extremely upset by this.

mangrego

Moving the Dog to Turkey
Hi Carol was that in Bodrum?, as i have been told i would need to go to cargo
regards

carolk

R.I.P
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Yes, I was absolutely assured I would collect him from cargo. I was so insistent on knowing this because the same thing happened to someone I know who came with two cats, they came out on the carousel.

Its very difficult when your dog sees you, you have cases and papers they need to check etc. Thats why I stupidly got my cases and went to sort out the transport first thinking it was the sensible thing to do then, go with my papers to collect my dog only to find very angry airport staff and my dog going round and round!!!

Hopefully it wont happen to you!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Both of our dogs were going round the carousel in their cages at Dalaman and were absolutely luvin' it !

OLIVER

Moving the Dog to Turkey
I am sorry the vision of these poor dogs going round the carousel seems like a sketch from a comedy show. I can imagine the poor mites must have been so confused!

I think I will fly my Dog with me to Izmir or Bodrum.

Did anybody give the Dog a sedative? And also what hapens if the flight is delayed after you have checked in your luggage and pet?

Thanks

carolk

R.I.P
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Both of our dogs were going round the carousel in their cages at Dalaman and were absolutely luvin' it !

Mine didn't and was distressed after the flight!!!!

They are not allowed to sedate animals Oliver. I don't know what happens if there is a delay, luckily I didn't have that one to contend with!

Last edited:

mangrego

Moving the Dog to Turkey
Oh i was told to report to cargo, think it would be better for me to see where she will come from, altough her air crate is big and 35 inches high, i would have thought that would be to high to get through the luggage hole?
regards

carolk

R.I.P
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Mangrego, I was told he would go to cargo - it didnt happen!! :nono:

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Has anyone flown their pet into BODRUM? We had the choice of Gatwick to Dalaman or Birmingham to Izmir, but that was over 4 years ago.

teresa

Free Thinker
Moving the Dog to Turkey

I saw this happen at the old airport. Our dogs came to the new one and they were brought straight to the luggage area - very quickly.

Oliver you are not allowed to sedate the dog, rules do not allow it.

Moving the Dog to Turkey
We flew into Bodrum from Manchester with Flythomascook.
Both crates came through luggage hold,but not on carousel,before any luggage.
Both dogs were very happy and relaxed..............we were stressed,but they were fine.
We had been told we may have to pay import handling duty at Bodrum,but did not have to.
The cabin crew checked on them throughout the flight.
We asked about procedure for flight delays.The handling company said they allow 4 hours delay,but if any longer it is your responsibility to contact them about the flight.They did say we might have had to rebook if that happened................luckily it didnt,so cant say what happens

boxerpaul

bootneck
Moving the Dog to Turkey
Hi mate just done all my paper work, of wednesday to turkey to live, your dog will need a pet passport yes i know its not euro in turkey but best to,your need a rabies jab making sure it before 6 months before you fly,a blood test,then apply to carlisle for export certificate apllication heres number 01228 40360,so need to book flight and and check with animal airlines ok to take dog on flight if they say yes then you can send your application for export cert with exact date,so they can send export cert to your vet 96 hrs before you fly, its only valid that long,im doing mine with animal airlines the guys mike there ok they tell you what flights can take the dog then you book the flight not the other way round ok, yes the flight for my leeroy is £673.00,but its better hes on your flight then at it straight to bodrum from gatwick less stress for dog,,heres animal airlines number its 01625 827414,say you got number from paul newman,thats about it,remember dont book the flight untill you check with animal airlines, im flying with flythomas cook,look at the dates you want to go then phone mike at animal airlines to see if its ok to take dog on that flight,then away you go, hope that helps paul

butt007

Warren
Moving the Dog to Turkey
We brought our dog (toy poodle) with us to Antalya with Thomas Cooke from Manchester, at Man we took her to cargo with all the documentation, her cage was checked over for suitability and size, everything OK... the guy then told us to check with the pilot or captain that the dog was indeed onboard when we got on.. she was.
On arrival at Antalya we were supposed to go to the cargo area to get her, but we too were surprised at the luggage carousel to hear ooooohs, and aaaahs behind us only to see she had been pushed through a big flap.
Warren

Moving the Dog to Turkey
The blood test post rabies vacc only applies for EU passport..............it isnt necessary to have it done to come to Turkey.Read Defra website and call them,they are very helpful.
Dont forget to check your vet is Defra approved...........has to be an approved to sign the export certificate.
By the way..........it is necessary for you to be on same flight as your dog,unless you want to go to the trouble of getting an import certificate from Turkish embassy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom