keny

moving electric/water meters indoors.
We have a villa in Altinkum with like all others external electric and water meters.I suppose I have been lax and perhaps niave about security.When we returned to Turkey to find we faced large bills on these meters when we had paid the bills before we left I was quite annoyed and am determined to try and do something about it!

Can anyone help with the following?

Are there any laws or regulations regarding moving the meters inside the house?Obviously we would need permission from the supplers.Has anyone moved the meters indoors?I often wondered why the builders did not do this when bulding the villa or is this too obvious?? Keny

martin m

Hi Keny
Cant really help with your question, but maybe i am missing something,what would you hope to gain by moving the meter inside other than stopping the risk of having your meter nicked,
I cant make the connection,having a high bill even though you paid up before you came home might mean that someone has been using your taps,or lights, but moving the meters inside would not stop that,
theres probably a viable reason why you got the bills anyway.
martin

Helenm150

I think the meters need to be outside so that they can be read in your absence.

Mr Turkey

Helenm150 said:
I think the meters need to be outside so that they can be read in your absence.

Yep !!!!

Get a sparky in to have a look at the wiring to make sure that there hasn't been a "mistake". Alternatively, let a bill lapse and settle it just before you go out. You can't pinch what isn't there !!!

Good Luck

MR TURKEY

keny

Hello MARTIM M,
Just to make the postion clear what happens is that builders, others come along plug wires into the meter turn on the electric and use as much as they like,We have seen this happening next door.Similarly, they breal open you water meter box turn on the water and happily fill up someones pool or fill up their cement mixers,We have seen this happening.You know the turkish philosophy if its there use it.I hope you understand our position now.Buy the way we did pay the bills before we left. Keny.

pldouglas

Would it be possible to have metal grilles and padlocks fitted over your meters so they can still be read, but access made more difficult. If logistically possible then it would be a lot cheaper than moving the entire thing.

biggles

biggles
at our property we turn off the power inside and lock the door and go ,and leave the meter switch on the meter in the off or on position,it does not matter as once we turn our power off indoors its dead on the outside. there is a socket outside [for garden power tools etc .but its dead so long as we turn off indoors .

martin m

Hi Keny
I hope i did not come over as sounding patronising when i last replied,the thing is we have a apartment on a complex and there is always someone kicking about that would notice anything untoward like rewiring the electric or re plumbing the water meter, so i never thought for a second that could be the case.
Under the circumstances i would do what biggles has suggested and turn everything of from the inside,and i also would take on board what Helenm150 said, the meter needs to stay on the outside to be read.
No offence meant
martin

Altrice

I fail to see how turning the power of inside would prevent anyone from tapping into a meter because the power is still live going into the meter and this is where they will connect to it.

Alan

juco

This is the type of thing you need with a lock on it. mine doesnt have a lock,keep meaning to get one, it has a perspex window so that the meter can be read when it is shut.

TurkOct07Misc009.jpg

alison09400

Keny, doesn't anyone speak to the builder's about what they're doing? Don't your other neighbours complain? The grey metal doors with the key aren't very secure as they're easy to break open. An alternative would be to get a special heavy metal door with a padlock fitted over them with 2 windows so that the meters can be read.
If you could do without electric on your first day back, then let your bill lapse and they may disconnect you. As Mr Turkey says, they can't steal what you haven't got.
But a heavier door or a grill sounds the best solution as meter must be on the outside.

biggles

biggles
Altrice said:
I fail to see how turning the power of inside would prevent anyone from tapping into a meter because the power is still live going into the meter and this is where they will connect to it.

Alan
you are probably right as no one has attempted to tap into ours. but if anyone does try it then i will put a bloody great padlock on it . turning off inside stops anyone using the outside powr socket. but if they tap into the wiring inside the meter flap thats a diff story .

Latest Posts

Top Bottom