arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
i've just taken delivery of a new microwave cooker and it has a moulded plug on it.
as my old microwave is on the wall, and the socket underneath the worktop, i just removed the plug, threaded it through the hole in the worktop, and put the plug back on. but it wasn't a moulded plug!

it is safe to remove the moulded plug and put an ordinary one on its place, or will i have to find another place for the oven?

thanks for any advice.

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Moulded plugs?
Shouldn't be any difference between the moulded plug that comes with appliances and one you put on yourself.

The manufacturers buy the cable and plug like this as it saves on assembly.

As long as you have wired the plug correctly you should be ok.

kemerkid

Bystander
Moulded plugs?
Tricky one this, I think you will need to call in an electrical contractor to do a ‘Risk Assessment’ and ‘Method Statement’ these will have to be forwarded to the ‘HSE’ for approval which takes forever. You could of course just push the microwave up through the hole and say nothing. Only kidding.

arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
Shouldn't be any difference between the moulded plug that comes with appliances and one you put on yourself.

The manufacturers buy the cable and plug like this as it saves on assembly.

As long as you have wired the plug correctly you should be ok.

this is what i thought, but wanted to be sure, thanks, trouble is, i would do it myself, but like kemerkid says, i now have to get a 'qualified contractor' as being a useless female, and not wanting the powers that be (wanting a kick up the backside) force on me, i think the microwave through the hole method is probably safer lol. (just had a vision of me doing this haha)

Tricky one this, I think you will need to call in an electrical contractor to do a ‘Risk Assessment’ and ‘Method Statement’ these will have to be forwarded to the ‘HSE’ for approval which takes forever. You could of course just push the microwave up through the hole and say nothing. Only kidding.

very good idea, wish i'd thought of that first, wouldn't have had to bother anyone then. thanks

Moulded plugs?
Sawing the big hole for the microwave to go through is tricky so get a carpenter in, Arrian
Then the hole will have to be filled in afterwards otherwise surface water might drip through and you will need a flooring contractor and a plumber to turn the water off

Luckily I am a registered odd job man under the Mental Health Act code of restrictive practices and I think I could persuade the warders to let me out the home for a day to do the work.
I have an identity card but this person that follows me around under a different name, dressed like me, keeps burning it.

Its been fun posting on this thread and I hope you sort it soon

If you need someone with a mallet to break up the microwave and make it smaller so the hole needn't be so big ,let me know ok
:thanks::thanks::thanks:
I do demolition work as a sideline.

arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
thanks, Terry, i'll be waiting for you, you're just the man for the job!!!

do you drink tea or coffee, and how many cups will you need whilst you're doing the job? the last workman i had in drank a full jar of coffee and it was only a small job, but this looks as though it will take quite a while, so i'll maybe have to do a shop first. and what about biscuits? cream or plain? or will you need dinner? if it's going to take longer, i suppose i could always put you up in the spare room for a few days! please bring your own toothbrush though.

Moulded plugs?
I have just spoken to my carer and, because I tried to dig a hole in the home to find Australia, they have refused my pass.
In hindsight ten pints of Guinness and 20 bags of crisps would have been fine thank you

I lost my toothbrush recently after trying to scratch an itch!!
My carer would have come with me to ensure I was kept sedated and under medication.

Its been lovely talking to someone who understands both me and my annoying friend dressed in my clothes
:madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::

arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
I have just spoken to my carer and, because I tried to dig a hole in the home to find Australia, they have refused my pass.
In hindsight ten pints of Guinness and 20 bags of crisps would have been fine thank you

I lost my toothbrush recently after trying to scratch an itch!!
My carer would have come with me to ensure I was kept sedated and under medication.

Its been lovely talking to someone who understands both me and my annoying friend dressed in my clothes
:madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::madgrin::

bugger that! tell them all to sod off! you're perfect for the job, really understanding of what needs to be done without having to look in a user manual every two minutes.
i'll find the key to the ward and sneak both you and your carer out later on, i've got 2 spare rooms (unless you usually share) :hehe::hehe:

p.s. i can't have any tea until it's done, and Guinness and crisps are always on standby!!

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Moulded plugs?
Have known warranties to be void if you remove the original plug ,easy way out for them. I would have removed cable from inside microwave and do it that way round.

arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
Have known warranties to be void if you remove the original plug ,easy way out for them. I would have removed cable from inside microwave and do it that way round.

i just knew someone would come along and complicate things!!!!! why didn't you tell me before i cut the work top in half!!!!!!

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Moulded plugs?
Just get a generator and stand it beside the Microwave.... easy peasy... no need to cut anything.

Steve.

Moulded plugs?
I didnt realise moulded plugs in the afternoon were such fun Arrian x
You are a great sport and,despite all your troubles, always positive about life.
A wonderful tonic and a lovely way to be.
I hope the new plug doesnt blow a fuse lol!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Moulded plugs?
If you're feeling brave, get a sharp knife Arrian, and an old piece of rubber, so you don't cut your worktop. Cut off the moulded plug end carefully, then it gets tricky, use a lighter or a match and burn the rubber off the end of the wiring, get your old plug and follow the color codes, put wires in their little coloured slots, and secure tightly, plug in whilst wearing heavy rubber boots, lol.

Easier way, just have the new wire dangling to the switch. Good Luck whichever way you go.

Last edited:

arrian

R.I.P
Moulded plugs?
If you're feeling brave, get a sharp knife Arrian, and an old piece of rubber, so you don't cut your worktop. Cut off the moulded plug end carefully, then it gets tricky, use a lighter or a match and burn the rubber off the end of the wiring, get your old plug and follow the color codes, put wires in their little coloured slots, and secure tightly, plug in whilst wearing heavy rubber boots, lol.

Easier way, just have the new wire danging to the switch. Good Luck whichever way you go.

thanks Lesley, always done that before, just never with a moulded plug! anyway, solved the problem for now, just put the oven on the worktop in the corner and re-arranged the kitchen, just until i get used to the new one and how it works, and then wait for Terry to break out!!!!! lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom