guinevere

motorbike trip
i have friends coming to stay with me in september and they are riding their motorbikes over from the UK ,i have just told them to bring all paperwork they can lay their hands on ......any advice ?
thanks

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
motorbike trip
Provided that they've got the original V5's and MOT certificates if appropriate for the bikes, and their passports and licences, to enter Turkey shouldn't be a problem. They can buy green card insurance at the border if they can't arrange it in the UK.

gren

motorbike trip
Any visas for countries they're travelling thru.
Any non-Euro currency to buy fuel.
Mobile phone.
Map.
Camera.
Gun.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
motorbike trip
i have friends coming to stay with me in september and they are riding their motorbikes over from the UK ,i have just told them to bring all paperwork they can lay their hands on ......any advice ?
thanks

I would love to do that trip with my bike but it's EXTREMELY dangerous. Poor roads, terrible drivers. Good luck to them

Biker Bob

JJD

motorbike trip
thanks
I travelled from Ireland to Akbuk ( near Didim) last year on my bike, round trip circa 6k miles.
I stayed within EU ( via Italy - ferry - Greece) no difficulties crossing borders apart from Greece/Turkey, both ways it is chaos where to que (first to desk/cabin) visa stamp etc
I just had to work my through and you will get confused and many will jump/push in order to get ahead & addressed.
Make sure you have all correct docs plus a safe place to keep same.
Beware the road surface in Turkey & the creface lines that the trucks make (I had a near miss)
The motorway near Izmir is good.
If you want more details from me I can email off line

biggles

biggles
motorbike trip
I would love to do that trip with my bike but it's EXTREMELY dangerous. Poor roads, terrible drivers. Good luck to them

Biker Bob

all according to the route,as far as i know the ancona ferry italy route is ok . my mate is going that way on his new triumph end of september .

kaplumba

motorbike trip
My son and friend did the trip last year on their bikes - bicycle not motorbike. Despite my constant warnings about the dangers they said they had no near misses and all drivers were courteous to them. He cycled to Athens and then got ferries to Tukey ending up in Rhodes and over to Marmaris then through the mountains to Datca. It was 4012 km but there were a few detours in Europe to see friends. They particularly enjoyed Albania of all places where the people were so nice to them (that was the country I was most worried about). You can get to just about every Greek Island from Athens and then to Turkey from Kos, Samos and Rhodes and probably a few others. Some of the ferries become less frequent or even stop towards the end of September.

biggles

biggles
motorbike trip
My son and friend did the trip last year on their bikes - bicycle not motorbike. Despite my constant warnings about the dangers they said they had no near misses and all drivers were courteous to them. He cycled to Athens and then got ferries to Tukey ending up in Rhodes and over to Marmaris then through the mountains to Datca. It was 4012 km but there were a few detours in Europe to see friends. They particularly enjoyed Albania of all places where the people were so nice to them (that was the country I was most worried about). You can get to just about every Greek Island from Athens and then to Turkey from Kos, Samos and Rhodes and probably a few others. Some of the ferries become less frequent or even stop towards the end of September.

they were brave ,i would not fancy that trip unless i had my 1400cc engine under me ,but then again maybe i am lazy .

guinevere

motorbike trip
they are not doing any ferry trips travelling the long way round ,they do big journeys every year ,last year it was all over russia ,so they are used to all sorts and all kinds of border crossings ,so i am hoping turkey won't prove to be their un-doing .thanks for all the info ,i have passed it on ,they were arguing about which cuddly toy to take last i heard !
thanks all

pldouglas

motorbike trip
May they have the very best of adventures, safe riding and decent weather!
Tell them ENJOY from ancient old bikers to the new generation.
P.S. Don't forget the tool roll.

Actually, must pass on this tip; One year we rode down to the south of france and it rained stair-rods all the way back. We were soaked even through Gortex and the lining to my husbands gloves was so sodden that they had rolled up uncomfortably. I had an idea, I suffed each finger of the gloves with a tampon, thereby drying the glove in a straight shape!
The following year he went off to a rally up north where the weather was threatening to be wet - and yes, he took a box of tampons. Heaven knows what he would have said if stopped and searched!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom