Holty

Mosquito bite prevention
Anybody got any useful tips to stop mosquito bites? SWMBO is a proverbial pin cushion at the moment..

tjd

Mosquito bite prevention
Use the OFF spray or milk, available in almost every supermarket, or Jungle Formula with loads of DEET. Get a couple of mosquito plants for the balcony or patio from the local market. They're basil plants which seem to help keep the mossy's away.

parrot

Mosquito bite prevention
I got soap from Carrefoure I think it was called DALMA or something similar.It was in a pack of four large bars and contained citronella,I think this is why I have not had so many bites this year,from lots to a few.I also use OFF and have used JUNGLE.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Mosquito bite prevention
I use a good spray with at least 50% deet, but did find the OFF spray very effective last time. I don't usually get bothered with them, but did in June they just kept having my blood, lol. Just keep your rooms doors closed before we go out in the evening we spray all the rooms (all hardware shops sell the spray), burn citronella oil lamp and candles and generally keep them at bay, I take an antihistmine tablet every day as that is supposed to keep them at bay, also if you do get bitten it certainly helps the swelling and the itching afterwards.

biggles

biggles
Mosquito bite prevention
take vitamin B1 tabs at leasta week before you go & all the time you are there .

Holty

Mosquito bite prevention
To loate biggles, i arrive on Monday...

Thanks for the tips everyone.

gazzer

Mosquito bite prevention
Use the lemon oil/essence, but make sure you get the one marked 80% lemon oil as this is the only one which works..and not the cheap stuff from the markets.. Smother yourself in the morning and at night etc...very refreshing and never been bit..

Gary

CATHNJOHN

Mosquito bite prevention
I always use Boots own brand repellant in the silver bottle,we were always bitten to death despite using Jungle Formula or Autan and mine always go nasty,never been bitten since using Boots own and its usually on 3 for 2, also suitable for children.

bodrumsjh

Mosquito bite prevention
Use the OFF spray or milk, available in almost every supermarket, or Jungle Formula with loads of DEET. Get a couple of mosquito plants for the balcony or patio from the local market. They're basil plants which seem to help keep the mossy's away.

Probably a daft question, but are you supposed to spray 'OFF' on yourself, or around the room you are in?

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Mosquito bite prevention
Probably a daft question, but are you supposed to spray 'OFF' on yourself, or around the room you are in?

The OFF Spray is for your body, I always go outside to spray repellent as it is very strong if you breathe in the fumes.

Note: Just realised that three of us were answering you around the same time, well, at least we all agree, lol

Holty

Mosquito bite prevention
Quick update as i've just spoke to my partner. She says she's tried all of the above and none have worked. She went to a chemist about an injection that was available last year, but has now apperantly been banned. The chemist sent her to a doctor who allegedly said it had to be administered via a drip (which she had), but it transpires that all that was administered was a glucose solution for which the kind doctor charged her insurance £200..

Sounds like another good con to get cash out of us holidaymakers and our insurance companies!!

Any thoughts?

Mosquito bite prevention
I have been using Avon Skin So Soft this year and have hardly had any bites, whether mozzy or ants. (Famous last words, now will get bitten to death).

If I have been bitten I bought here in Turkey some after bite spray called Yabu and its brilliant takes the itch off straight away. Only thing is, is if you spray on a bite which you have scratched and made bleed, make sure there are no children about when you spray as your language will be interesting!!

Sue

puwer98

Mosquito bite prevention
In Didim go to chemist at bottom of AB last on right going towards shopping centre 7.5TL lasts 1 month, he takes you down stairs for the injection.

Mosquito bite prevention
I used Avon skin so soft as well this year plus it makes your skin feel lovely, I did read years ago that the some of the forces issue the sun tan lotion as it is an effective mossie repelant.

Jane

Holty

Mosquito bite prevention
In Didim go to chemist at bottom of AB last on right going towards shopping centre 7.5TL lasts 1 month, he takes you down stairs for the injection.

Thank you, i've texted the details to my g/f...

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Mosquito bite prevention
l find some of the arseoles are quite expensive and alternative to making your own is just as effective.
The geraniums l grow here are great littler deterrents.Just pick off a dozen leaves and crush them in a littler water.Then transfer the crushed leaves into a spray bottle through a sieve.Fill the remainder with water to about 2/3 full and there you have it a deterrent to spray either on you,or to spray around the edges of the window sills and other area's where the mossy could enter.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom