tomc1984

Mosqito bites
Anyone in Yalikavak know where we can buy mosquito candles and / or best tips to stop the little blighters, Karen is being eaten, normally it is me but not yet, touch wood.

lynne

Mosqito bites
Go to any general store/shop or chemist and ask for SIN KOV or OFF.
Spray on skin to keep the mossies away.
Also for inside the home, but plug in s for the electric sockets.
Fit mossie nets too
Lynne

tomc1984

Mosqito bites
Thanks Lynne, got all those and still being bitten, looking for those citronella candles to burn outside. Did get them here once before but can't find them now.

D

Deleted member 13863

Mosqito bites
If you can manage to get citronella spray they don't like that alternatively try spraying yourself with the juice of a lemon or lime This will help heal the bites and it is bitter so they wont bite anymore.

Hope you get some relief, they hurt like hell.

jolo

LezliG

Mosqito bites
I use the lemon cologne you can buy in most supermarkets. I've found it more effective than anything else. Keep it in the fridge and it's nice and cooling too!
Lesley

jcrian

Mosqito bites
I have seen the mosquito coils in several supermarkets in Turkey which are very effective..

15d9xe9.jpg

10d7ayg.jpg

Last edited:

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
Mosqito bites
Tom, we got some good anti-histamine gel from the chemist in the town near to the market - it's in an orange tube and called Fenistil jel, very soothing and good for the bites.

When you go next time you might consider using a citronella shower gel - you can buy a base carrier gel and add citronella oil and this should help. We will be buying green coils and lemon cologne and anything else that works because my husband and daughter get eaten to bits...

Sally

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Mosqito bites
Hi Tom... i know the feeling.. i got bitten to buggery last summer, bites all over the place.. I'd spend half the night chasing the buggers around the bedroom...
when i was much younger, when i joined the army i was away on a training exercise where the instructor reliably informed everyone that if you smoked it would keep mozzies and midges away... probably one of the reasons i first started smoking.
And to be honest it worked... Didn't do my health any good but it kept the buggers away.
Now the thing is it didn't make any difference last summer... i used a cream, cant for the life of me remember what it was called, though I've sat here the last 10 minutes trying to recall, and i dont expect Peb will remember either... Oh well, sorry.
Comes in a white and orange tube from the pharmacy.
Not much use am I..? just that your question rang a bell.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Mosqito bites
I posted on another thread that I was going to take an antihistamine (Cetrizine) to see if it helped, I started 2 weeks before we went, I took one every day whilst there and had no bites, also we use the citronella oil in the lamp we have outside and nothing on us, I always spray each room before we go out either during the day or at night, it's sold in Migros in a blue canister, there were none in the apartment. We also use the extra strength (50%) deet body sprays. My hubby usually gets bitten, but this time he only had a couple, and got those at the Airport when we arrived.

Sara-666

Mosqito bites
We have Feslihan(?) plants outside, they look like a type of small basil leaf but they seems to work.

Sara

biggles

biggles
Mosqito bites
now i know this might sound smug ,but in 5 years of going to turkey in all times of the year ,i have never been bitten once ,yah boo

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Mosqito bites
I took those antihistamines as well for two weeks before we went and also one everyday while i was over. Also had the Avon Skin So Soft to spray on as well. This time i only had 5 bites as opposed to 50.

Jeannie

ainsley

Mosqito bites
Well I have to say the mozzies annoyed us we tried all sorts like garlic inbedded in candles, (apparentley mozzies hate them) we had the plug ins and i also inbedded some of the tablets in the candle as well, but to no avail we got bit lol. I looked all over for citronella but no sign of any. I was in asda at weekend an i smelt citronella they do packs of the candles for a quid so i bought some for next year. certainly going to invest in a good repellent for next year and also gonna eat loads more garlic. The lemon cologne didnt work for us but it was refreshing.

thats the only thing I dont miss about Turkiye, the rest I miss loads
:crying:

tomc1984

Mosqito bites
We have Feslihan(?) plants outside, they look like a type of small basil leaf but they seems to work.

Sara

Thank you, been lots of talk about plants, great idea, would love some but with not being here all of the time, don't think they would survive.

Mosqito bites
We have friends who use Bounce sheets (the thin paper-type things you put in tumble dryers in the UK). They simply pop one down their shirt or top of their pants, or side of shoe and they swear it works. However my wife tried it and it didnt! Mozzies are strange things. I've lived here four years and only been bitten once or twice - once last week for some reason for the first time in years, but no reaction to it, just a small blotchy spot.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom