Not open for further replies.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Morocco to distribute surplus food to UK charity
Africa sending food parcels to UK?

Post-Brexit Britain relies increasingly on Moroccan fruit and vegetables​

GBH1962

Not really a news story as lots of companies give particularly excess or left over food away,after all what else are they going to do with it?

Kanga

In that case perhaps it's time to review our foreign aid policies.

Mushroom

Not really a news story as lots of companies give particularly excess or left over food away ,after all what else are they going to do with it?
It's news when we are receiving from a country which is poorer than us in economic terms but they choose to send us a surplus of food.
That's because we haven't enough supplies to say "No Thankyou"

enoch

Africa sending food parcels to UK?

Post-Brexit Britain relies increasingly on Moroccan fruit and vegetables​

I think the headlines are over the top, they will be glad of the trade they haven't got much else

Camden

I thought it embarrassing enough when a couple of years ago The UN felt the need to write a report to highlight the Tories “austerity experiment” which has forced millions into poverty and homelessness...

A United Nations poverty expert warned on that Britain’s social safety net has been badly damaged by the government’s austerity program and compared the country’s welfare overhauls to a version of a Victorian workhouse.

In a scathing report on the impact of budget cuts on human rights in Britain, Philip Alston, the United Nations special rapporteur for extreme poverty, concluded that cuts to public services since 2010 have resulted in “tragic social consequences.”

Last edited:

Mushroom

With everything we are currentlty experiencing in the UK, the boss is constantly saying that we appear to be returning to the Victorian era and the only thing missing is work houses for the poor.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Not really a news story as lots of companies give particularly excess or left over food away,after all what else are they going to do with it?
Charity begins at home - does Morocco have no poor in need of food?

GBH1962

No they're probably all in Spain picking the veg the Spanish won't pick and you can't keep sending fresh food back and forth,firstly there's the cost then Greta Thunberg

Jaycey

African Refugee
So no poor people in Morocco - good news indeed. :)

TLF Admin

Administrator
Maybe they have more fresh food than they can use before it spoils and are offering to people in need?

Poor people are usually more generous and more willing to share, that's how things work in 3rd world.

Jaycey

African Refugee
In UK there is a rise in homelessness and number of people needing help from charities and food banks, so make your own mind up.
So the needy in Morocco should be disregarded by their own nation?
Should surplus food in UK be exported to needy countries or given to Brits in need? (no answer required)
What I don't understand is what kind of food we're talking about - perishables or staples that should be stored for future use.
My mind is made up.

TLF Admin

Administrator
So the needy in Morocco should be disregarded by their own nation?
Should surplus food in UK be exported to needy countries or given to Brits in need? (no answer required)
What I don't understand is what kind of food we're talking about - perishables or staples that should be stored for future use.
My mind is made up.
If you read the article it would become clearer.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Its clear that poverty has been reduced in Morocco but many still go hungry...

I'm beginning to wonder if this food was indeed donated or whether it was sold from one corrupt country to another.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Nothing new here , Churchill condemned millions of Indian nationals to death during the second world war by exporting hundreds of thousands of tonnes of rice and other staples as the Indians starved to death in their millions.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom