more soldiers killed by PKK
The border area around Hakkarı was the scene of yet another attack by the PKK this time at least 9 soldiers were killed and many more injured.

This is probably a response to the recent bombing of PPK camps in Northern İraq..the conflict has increased this month with about 34 soldiers killed.

Responding to killing with more killing just seems to be making things worse yet this is the only rhetoric that's coming from all sides concerned.

There are some harrowing scenes on almost all the TV channels of the dead soldiers being buried in their various home towns and all this during Ramadan.

teosgirl

Philip,

I have to ask, what kind of offer can you imagine the PKK and their supporters accepting? More to the point, what do you think the Turkish government should be offering these terrorists?

The problem is the mindset of the PKK and their supporters - I honestly believe they're killing out of spite, it's definitely not to further any chance of autonomy.

Charlotte

Saoirse

well lets just be realistic-they will never defeat the PKK and the PKK will never defeat the Turkish forces

In such a stalemate situation sooner or later-hopefully sooner-talks and compromises must be made

We have been there got the t shirt in this neck of the woods

Saoirse

yip just pretend it isnt happening!!!

We tried that here too-hard to ignore dead bodies though

It WILL end with talks/compromise-when however is down to the combatants on both sides

alison09400

According to the pm two months ago there was no Kurdish problem !

Here we see this phrase again. Why is it called this..when the problem is a terrorist group made up of many people other than Kurds.

Just as not every protestant was in the UVF and not every roman catholic in the IRA...not all Kurds are in the PKK!

Thoughts and prayers with the families of those killed yesterday.

Saoirse

it doesnt really matter what you call it and obviously to sustain a campaign there has to be substantial support-the issue is ending it which will only be by compromise and talks

People can sit on their high horses and say we wont talk, no compromise etc-all that does is put back the day when they WILL have to talk and compromise.

pepperkat

From"Gods Own Country"
In all conflicts such as this, there is never a chance of peace while people cling on to history. The only chance peace ever has is for all concerned to forget history, and look to the future. Sadly I can't see this happening anytime soon

Alison..those are not my words..that is how the topic is almost always referred to by politicians and newspapers everywhere...what else can they call it
Not all Kurds are in the PKK but if they did a poll the numbers of sympathisers would be significant
the scenes of grief are unbearable

Last edited:

Saoirse

the classic denial stuff-we had the "they have no support" nonsense for decades.

To keep a significant campaign continuing there has to be solid and organised support. Again that is actually a side issue. Talk and talk now would be my advice.

teosgirl

Alison,

There are far more Kurds supporting the PKK than there are other nationals. I'm sure there are far more Kurdish members than any other race.
If this wasn't the case the PKK would not get any sympathy from the southeast at all, and therefore not be able to maintain their 'cause'. The PKK fight in the name of the Kurds. How many Kurdish protests have you seen this month decrying the violence and murder of Turkish soldiers? Yeah, that's right. None. It's silent in the southeast is it not?

If Kurds stopped sending their sons to fight, and stopped supporting the terrorists then the PKK wouldn't exist. As with Ireland - as soon as the MAJORITY were pacified with a polticial peace process the violence stopped.

If, for example, the PKK were not supported by a decent number of Kurds, there would be no need for political talks or discussions with the PKK would there?

I know that not ALL Kurds support the PKK - I have Kurdish friends who do not support the PKK, and I would guess a large percentage of Kurdish residents along the Aegean do not, but I doubt that's the norm in the predominantly Kurdish areas of the southeast. The BDP recently announced autonomy - hardly peacemaking is it?

Charlotte

Latest Posts

Top Bottom