ceemac

Shake It Baby...
More New Marinas For Turkey
With Turkey's ambitious plan to double its share of the Mediterranean leisure marine market from 5 to 10 per cent, the development of new marinas is playing a key role in this. It has a strategy to have 50,000 marina berths by 2023 and has just announced plans for further marinas. This follows in the wake of plans announced recently to significantly expand marina capacity around Istanbul.

Here

C

mollag

Kipper restorer
I often wonder if the marina building fad will ultimatly work for all, the more built the thinner the avaiable business is spread, followed by price wars to tempt the boat owners.
Its not just the Med, Portugal, France,Ireland, Jersey, the IOM and most areas in England are all looking to marinas to be life savers, quickly followed by liner berths of course.
I love boats and the sea but apart from the aesthetic aspect of Turgutreis Marina, i cant see much benefit to the town in the main.The marina in many ways is more a boat "garage" for the winter period, a very noisy one at that.
How much more of a benefit will it be when there are another dozen marinas bidding for the same business?

dalyansteve

The fact about marinas is that as soon as they are built they get filled up. England is a prime example most marinas have waiting lists and anywhere on the Med is bound to do well.

Having just returned from Yalikavak I hope that some investment is made in the marina.Having spent one morning walking around the place I left feeling a bit depressed as the potential that I felt in '05 '06 had all but gone, it felt like it had been deserted.

mollag

Kipper restorer
Turgutreis likewise, very pleasing to the eye but the shops and bars always seem empty and the berths are thin spaced.
I wish them all well, any project that brings employment to an area is always welcome, better to overlook a marina than a multi floor "resort"

teosgirl

I think this is a very interesting growing market.

I live in Sigacik, which is 30 minutes from Izmir, and there's a new marina being constructed as I type, due to open in May this year.

This is my 7th year in Sigacik and I've seen very few changes, this one is the most significant economically speaking, as it gives the locals more chance for financial growth. Sigacik is a small fishing and farming village so it will definitely have an impact on the local economy.

I already know a few local people employed by the marina, and there's a definite opportunity to start new businesses within the marina, plus the new supermarket, restaurants, cafes and shops that are also part of the complex, will most likely employ local staff.

The yachts that visit every year usually stay a couple of nights before moving on, and inevitably take in the local sights and spend money in the cafes and restaurants.

I have also noticed a significant price rise in property, which I associate with the construction and development of the marina area, so the locals are profiting in that respect too. It's attracting more personal property investors and raising the price of the farm land, which has suffered from unusually dry weather for the last two years, so has recieved a lower price for their product (satsumas)

Sigacik has also recently become a Cittaslow, so any other development will be carefully monitored and I assume will have to meet stricter critera.

Here's a link to the website for our new marina:
Teos Marina - Teos Marina

Charlotte

Squeaky

Good evening:

I can assure you that marinas do bring benefits to the local community.

Family or groups who charter commercial yachts will spend a fairly large sum on stocking up the yacht before sailing and will continue to spend money at restaurants in many of the bays in which they will anchor during their cruise.

Private yachts also spend about the same amount that a land based person would spend when they come out to spend time in their villa or apartment. In addition they will probably spend more than a home/apartment owner for maintenance and annual slipping of the yacht.

Tradesmen believe that all yacht owner must be rich therefore charge more for all work than a land based person would pay for similar work.

The simple existence of a marina will provide work for a fairly large number of locals with varying degrees of skill.

There is one error I think people make and that is to assume that large yachts will provide more benefit to the community. I don't think this is true because large yachts usually have professional crew and do not employ skilled workmen locally although they might employ a few locals for unskilled work during re-fit time. They do buy a lot more in the way of groceries and booze prior to the arrival of the owners.

The owners of large yachts spend very little locally which is to be expected - why go to a local restaurant of questionable quality when they have their own well paid chef on board.

Cheers

Squeaky

Chinook

The new regulations regarding holding tanks and discharge for black and grey water in Mugla Province and the anchoring and diving restrictions between Gocek and Fethiye and the debate raging on Yacht Forums is discouraging yachtsmen from moving from Greek waters.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom