JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
more help please
I want a printer for my computer, can you buy anything or has it got to be compatible.
Thanks again,

Jeannie

Mushtaq

Founding Member
more help please
I think nearly all the printers now days work in USB interface and as long as you have Windows XP and a USB port you should be fine picking any current printer.

If you have Vista then you need to make sure it's Vista compatible, but most of the new printer are.

Martyn

more help please
If you buy a new printer then it will be compatible. Don't forget to buy a usb cable as a lot of them don't come complete with one. Also look at the costs as the consumables is where they make the money. I have a couple of printers one is a multi functional with scanning, copying, fax and printing and it is less than £50 to buy! A full set of manufacturer ink cartridges I think are around £45 but I can but non manufacturer ones for under £10. What operating system are you running?

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
more help please
i'm really sorry Martyn. but i don't know what you mean by "operating systems":45: I've got a screen, a keyboard and a big box thing that says E- SYSTEM and it's got stickers on it saying Windows vista and another one Intel plentium.

Jeannie :45:

Martyn

more help please
Sorry Jeannie, you probably are running Vista. As Mushtaq says make sure there are drivers although Vista has been out long enough for manufacturers to have drivers now. You can pretty much get any printer. Is it just for normal printing or have you got a lot of black & white printing in mind? If you have the latter then you probably need a mono laser printer.

maggie

more help please
Yes Ive got a Lexmark all singing dancing printer,scanner,copier,fax machine .

Cost me £39 in Aldi.

Takes one ink cartridge (all colours) cost £15 in the U.K. about £18 here but it only gives you about 40 colour copies.

So it isnt allways good to buy a cheap printer if the cartridges are expensive and you dont get many copies out of them.

Hugs Maggie xxx

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
more help please
I've found Vista to be great when installing new hardware. I found an old mouse that did'nt have a driver with it but Vista installed it no problem.
I have an Epson SX200 printer/photocopier and its brilliant. Got it at Tesco's for about £50.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
more help please
Thanks for all your help so far, but i've got an Epson Stylus DX 4050 that i used when i had a laptop, would that be any good for my computer that i have now ?

Jeannie

Martyn

more help please
There are Vista drivers for it and if you are pleased with the running costs, print output and features why change?

Last edited:

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
more help please
Great stuff all you computer experts , thank you very much,

Jeannie :smile:

tomc1984

more help please
I bought a Kodak one, supposed to save on ink, no way, went through ink like nobody's business. Also clumsy paper feed, constantly jamming. Gone back to Epson, can't go far wrong and you can buy Epson compatible cartridges dirt cheap. around £10 fror a full set. Don't touch Lexmark or HP, costs a ffortune in inke.

Peregrine

more help please
I've found Vista to be great when installing new hardware. I found an old mouse that did'nt have a driver with it but Vista installed it no problem.
I have an Epson SX200 printer/photocopier and its brilliant. Got it at Tesco's for about £50.

actually Vista can be rubbish when it comes to old printers - and often the manufacturers dont upgrade their drivers so you need to be pretty geeky to get them to run

oh, and old can mean 6 to 9 months!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom