More easy essentials.
the endings on the pronouns can trip you up a lot especailly the 'he she it ' ends as the whole idea is strange to us.

As you probably know theres no gender in Turkish.
Ben İ/me Biz /we sen/seniz/you Onlar/they
O is for he
O is for she
O is for it.
O is for that

O takes the same endings as BEN BİZ SEN SİZ ONLAR but because its an undotted vowel the ends are all undotted harmony and are either U or A ..wherereas BEN/SEN/BİZ are E or İ endings.(except of course for Bana/to me Sana to you which is an irregular oddity in Turkish )

compare these sentences

O yeni bir araba aldı He ( or she ) bought a new car
Ben yeni bir araba aldım
Biz yeni bir araba aldımız
Sen yeni bir araba aldın (you singular familiar)
Siz yeni bir araba aldiniz (you plural or formal)
Onlar yeni bir araba aldılar
you can of course leave out the pronouns at the start since they are also on the ends... until you are easy with them leave them there.
When there is NO pronoun ending on the verb then you know that either he/she/it is the subject

When you want the meaning clear in a sentence you must be able to use the right ends on the pronouns.and for this little piece we are mainly looking at O /he she it.
'O BENİ seviyor 'he/she/it (the)me loves'
the İ on BEN makes it the verbs direct object.. its easy to think of it as THE me. THE you THE he etc.
This is how many Turks speak English when they are starting to learn....listen and you will hear many of them say He the she loves..or She the he loves or 'İ the she loves ' ..(or hates or likes or whatever..Sevmek is a nice verb with which to explain things )

The direct object end for he/she/it is U the N is a buffer letter to keep the vowels apart. O-N-U
Ben ONU seviyorum İ (the) he love
Ben Yusuf'u seviyorum i love (the) Yusuf
O kediyi seviyor she loves the cat.
kedi-y-i the y is a buffer
İ on the end of Kediyi has the same function as U on ONU..it more or less gives the meaning of THE
Kedi onu seviyor the cat loves her
İn the last sentence the cat is the subject therefore it has no ending.

now look at the end which means ...to him/ to her/ to it
this time its a simple A
O N A.
Ona kıtabımı verdim..
to him my book i gave...i gave him my book (or her or it
kıtap is book kıtabım my book..kıtabım+I makes it the book..the direct object.
Ali ona kıtabını verdi
Ali gave the book to her
theres a grammar point there if you can see it ?

Here is the ending for on/in he she it
O+N+DA onda...on him in him (or her/it)
Onda para yok theres no money on him.
Bende para yok; sende para yok, onda DA para yok
theres no money on me ,theres no money on you, theres no money on him too.
here the DA standing alone means too /also.

the last one of the case ends for O is the 'belonging too' or genitive

the ending is O+ N+ UN onun means his her its
Onun arabası his car
the S in arabaSı is a buffer letter to keep the vowels apart...if you look at the basics i did last year you will find a simple explanation of the three buffer letters used in Turkish.
onun evi his house
Ali'nin evi Ali's house.

i hope this is ok..i deliberately have kept it as easy as possible..
even so you need to study and understand how these ends work to make your meaning plain and before you can progress.
Kolay gelsin.

Last edited:

sandpearse

Bolton Born and Bred
More easy essentials.
Thanks for this Shirley, this is one of the things I really struggle with, so your easy lesson will be good for me to keep revising with.
Glad to see you are well enough to be able to give us one of our daily lessons :)

Tess

More easy essentials.
Shirley, I am in awe of you, what a brilliant thing to be totally conversant in another language. I would truly love to learn, I know you can teach an old dog new tricks but I have to say I would struggle. Thanks for posting.

gren

More easy essentials.
oh dear.. you must put more effort in...daha gayret etmelisin :drum:

I bir kırbaç gerek!
(thank Allah for GoogleTranslate!)

Could you do a real simple lesson in verbs?
:438qr:

i.e To need, to want, to come, to go etc...

Numbers, days, months and most simple words are all fine with me...but i'm still just trying to construct sentences rather than just point a finger or draw a diagram and saying..."problem su" or "kaç para?"
Anyone else as stooopid as me? (actually don't answer that..)

More easy essentials.
the endings on the pronouns can trip you up a lot especailly the 'he she it ' ends as the whole idea is strange to us.

As you probably know theres no gender in Turkish.
Ben İ/me Biz /we sen/siz/you Onlar/they
O is for he
O is for she
O is for it.
O is for that

O takes the same endings as BEN BİZ SEN SİZ ONLAR but because its an undotted vowel the ends are all undotted harmony and are either U or A ..wherereas BEN/SEN/BİZ are E or İ endings.(except of course for Bana/to me Sana to you which is an irregular oddity in Turkish )

compare these sentences

O yeni bir araba aldı He ( or she ) bought a new car
Ben yeni bir araba aldım
Biz yeni bir araba aldık
Sen yeni bir araba aldın (you singular familiar)
Siz yeni bir araba aldınız (you plural or formal)
Onlar yeni bir araba aldılar
you can of course leave out the pronouns at the start since they are also on the ends... until you are easy with them leave them there.
When there is NO pronoun ending on the verb then you know that either he/she/it is the subject

When you want the meaning clear in a sentence you must be able to use the right ends on the pronouns.and for this little piece we are mainly looking at O /he she it.
'O BENİ seviyor 'he/she/it (the)me loves'
the İ on BEN makes it the verbs direct object.. its easy to think of it as THE me. THE you THE he etc.
This is how many Turks speak English when they are starting to learn....listen and you will hear many of them say He the she loves..or She the he loves or 'İ the she loves ' ..(or hates or likes or whatever..Sevmek is a nice verb with which to explain things )

The direct object end for he/she/it is U the N is a buffer letter to keep the vowels apart. O-N-U
Ben ONU seviyorum İ (the) he love
Ben Yusuf'u seviyorum i love (the) Yusuf
O kediyi seviyor she loves the cat.
kedi-y-i the y is a buffer
İ on the end of Kediyi has the same function as U on ONU..it more or less gives the meaning of THE
Kedi onu seviyor the cat loves her
İn the last sentence the cat is the subject therefore it has no ending.

now look at the end which means ...to him/ to her/ to it
this time its a simple A
O N A.
Ona kıtabımı verdim..
to him my book i gave...i gave him my book (or her or it
kıtap is book kıtabım my book..kıtabım+I makes it the book..the direct object.
Ali ona kıtabını verdi
Ali gave the book to her
theres a grammar point there if you can see it ?

Here is the ending for on/in he she it
O+N+DA onda...on him in him (or her/it)
Onda para yok theres no money on him.
Bende para yok; sende para yok, onda DA para yok
theres no money on me ,theres no money on you, theres no money on him too.
here the DA standing alone means too /also.

the last one of the case ends for O is the 'belonging too' or genitive

the ending is O+ N+ UN onun means his her its
Onun arabası his car
the S in arabaSı is a buffer letter to keep the vowels apart...if you look at the basics i did last year you will find a simple explanation of the three buffer letters used in Turkish.
onun evi his house
Ali'nin evi Ali's house.

i hope this is ok..i deliberately have kept it as easy as possible..
even so you need to study and understand how these ends work to make your meaning plain and before you can progress.
Kolay gelsin.

Biz yeni bir araba aldık.
Biz Kastamonu'ya taşındık.
Biz sizi çok sevdik.
Biz biraz düzeltme yaptık.

lara

More easy essentials.
Well done Turkish, I too was scrutinising Shirleys post for those delibarate mistakes she often leaves in, beaten to the post.:132lm:lol

Shirley your posts are fantastic, I studied Turkish back home and although our teacher was great she had to follow a set curriculum which wasn't always what we wanted to learn.
Basics are always good to go over, and you have that ability to make them really understandable.

For you :pressie:

More easy essentials.
thanks Lara..the purpose of the post was to explain the O onu ona etc..
it wasnt about not putting the first person plural ending on one of the examples..ie -K ..serves me right for not checking..but you all know my faults hah.
however well intended criticism is always accepted and welcome...
i do make mistakes...but i get the gist ok and as a native English speaker i know the parts of Turkish that are most difficult for us to understand..and that is what hopefully i get across.xx

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom