Question for you
Money transfer to UK bank
A bit of advice please. I am selling up in Turkey and enquiring as to the cheapest method of transferring sale monies to UK bank. My bank account in Turkey is with HSBC . I have checked out money transfer companies and the fees are considerable lol . Would welcome your experience / advice.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
The banks will be more expensive in the UK , the last time I sent money home be it years ago £30 a time came time a cost which no one seemed to know why. Mushroom done it a few years ago he'll know. If I remember rightly he said he would have used transferwise if possible.

The banks will be more expensive in the UK , the last time I sent money home be it years ago £30 a time came time a cost which no one seemed to know why. Mushroom done it a few years ago he'll know. If I remember rightly he said he would have used transferwise if possible.
Hi and thanks. I use Wise ( used to be Transferwise) to transfer monies from UK to Turkey but transferring larger sums with them from Turkey can be expensive. Interestingly my UK bank say they do not charge for incoming monies .

Mushroom

I couldn't transfer to the UK using Transferwise as I didn't have a resident's permit, otherwise their rate was very good.
I used my Iban number from Garanti to transfer to First Direct (the sister company of HSBC).
I paid the going rate from Garanti, whch has since become more expensive I am told, so I couldn't give any specifics on that one.
First Direct did not charge me for receiving the funds but I had to convert Lira to Sterling at Garanti and do a direct Sterling to Sterling transfer to the UK.
Whatever you do, don't send Lira to the UK to convert to Sterling there - it will cost a lot more on the exchange rate, which as you will have seen today is dire already if moving money out of Turkey.
Hope that helps?

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Hi and thanks. I use Wise ( used to be Transferwise) to transfer monies from UK to Turkey but transferring larger sums with them from Turkey can be expensive. Interestingly my UK bank say they do not charge for incoming monies .
Barclays told me that at the time, but a few years ago maybe all changed now.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
When we transferred a substantial amount of money from HSBC Turkey to First direct it was a fixed maximum fee, published on their website, cant remember if it was £40, £400 or the same in Lira but in the scheme of things it was cheap, massively important to do the foreign exchange bit it Turkey though, I guess that's still the case, cant see any UK bank wanting the risk of buying and selling Lira to be honest

Kanga

A bit of advice please. I am selling up in Turkey and enquiring as to the cheapest method of transferring sale monies to UK bank. My bank account in Turkey is with HSBC . I have checked out money transfer companies and the fees are considerable lol . Would welcome your experience / advice.
Try transferring through Wise in tranches. I dont understand why they would be expensive compared with others, they make a point of being cheapest.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom