JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Money Taken
I know this isn't anything to do with Turkey but i didn't know where else to put it. When we were in Rhodes i went to an ATM to get money, the machine swallowed the card along with an english couples card just before me. when i went into the bank the wife of the couple was going mental as that was the only card they had and they were going to Crete for seven days , leaving that night. Then another chap came in and his card was also swallowed up. They never even had the savvie to put a note on the damn thing saying it was out of order.Well after a lot of shouting from the english woman, the manager of the bank finally opened up the machine and we were all given our cards back on proof of ID. I said to him , has it taken the money out of the account and he said in his Greek accent "no of course it hasn't , no money taken out".
Well, came home this morning, checked my banking and , yes, you've guessed right, 80 euros has been taken out of account. Has anybody got a clue what i do now. Do you think there is any chance if i go to the building society i will get it back or will i just have to write it off. There was no receipt came out of the machine.

Jeannie

Martyn

Money Taken
I would have thought there would be a record of the transaction and traced to where it was drawn. Take it up with your bank.

PASH

Money Taken
Stand more chance of getting the money refunded if it was a credit card, very difficult with a debit card, i fear you may have to write it off if a debit card

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Money Taken
Hi Martyn, yeh, it does say where it came out of {well supposed to have } I'll go in tomorrow and have a word .

Jeannie

judi

Is the sun shining?
Money Taken
Hi there Jeannie,
a similar thing happened to us, we let our bank know and after completing a form our money was refunded and we had over £1000 taken ! Our account went into the red and we had charges which the bank refunded too. So its certainly worth getting in touch with your bank I think, good luck.

Martyn

Money Taken
In the UK there are checks and they will know how much has gone and how much is left in the machine so they will be able to see you haven't taken the money. Overseas who knows.

Money Taken
You should be ok. The same thing happened to me at the Akbank here in Turkey one Sunday. Went to the branch the following day and they refunded. They checked the printout from the machine and could tell me the exact time to the second that it happened.

hijo

in my own clique
Money Taken
..i have heard before there is a device that thieves can put over ,were you place your card ..and the thief can be behind you with a mobile phone(camera ) getting your pin number ,once you have gone .they just take their device and your card ..and now they have your pin number ..this is not uncommon over europe...i always check before i put in my card,and always have the wife stand behind me.:hearnoevi

Money Taken
..i have heard before there is a device that thieves can put over ,were you place your card ..and the thief can be behind you with a mobile phone(camera ) getting your pin number ,once you have gone .they just take their device and your card ..and now they have your pin number ..this is not uncommon over europe...i always check before i put in my card,and always have the wife stand behind me.:hearnoevi

Hi,

These devices are much more sophisticated than that-they don't need anyone standing near you. The 'false' front on the machine reads and remembers your pin and card details. The offenders will allow a few cards to be read and then remove the device very quickly-they then download the info and 'clone' the card.

Our daughter-in-law had her bank account converted to US dollars then emptied in the Lebanon within an hour of it being cloned in Milton Keynes-just a week or so before Xmas-when you've got four kids to provide for at Xmas it's devastating.

Ann

hijo

in my own clique
Money Taken
Hi,

These devices are much more sophisticated than that-they don't need anyone standing near you. The 'false' front on the machine reads and remembers your pin and card details. The offenders will allow a few cards to be read and then remove the device very quickly-they then download the info and 'clone' the card.

Our daughter-in-law had her bank account converted to US dollars then emptied in the Lebanon within an hour of it being cloned in Milton Keynes-just a week or so before Xmas-when you've got four kids to provide for at Xmas it's devastating.

Ann

..i must be getting behind the times Anne..i have to admit the thieves are getting more sophisticated,so it is hard to avoid if you are not aware..ps pure coincidence ..but i came from milton keynes..:hearnoevi

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Money Taken
I'm sure that you'll get a refund Jeannie, happened to me in one of the ATM's in Yalikavak and my bank refunded.

Money Taken
This happened to me with my debit card at the Yapi Kredi machine in the middle of Datca last June. I contacted the Nationwide as soon as I realised the money had been taken, filled in a form with the details and the money was eventually refunded.

The manager at Yapi Kredi agreed it was their mistake and told me the money was sitting in a "pool" waiting for the Nationwide to reclaim it - earning interest for Yapi Kredi of course. If the money is not reclaimed it stays in the "pool" - nice little earner!!!!!

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Money Taken
Hi everyone :28: just to let you know that Nationwide put the money in my account on friday, great eh. Also got the money back for the parking ticket FAN DAB E DOZEY.

Jeannie

PS all i need now is a win at the bingo lol

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Money Taken
Hi,

Ann

Think it is called an Albanian loop and fits over the card slot and can be difficult to spot.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Money Taken
Couple of weeks ago, drew some cash in Yalikavak, got home, checked wallet guess what ? , no card. Searched high and low, nothing. Phoned card issuer, cancelled card. Roundly excoriated by spouse, took it on the chin.

Couple of days later, sweeping balcony ( not first time since loss ) and hey ho, what's this . Bank card. Could not have been there. Obviously was, but how Mulderish is that.

Nothing taken from account.

Doo Doo doo doo, i tell you Scully.

Steve.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom