martin m

Mold-damp-prevention
Hi all
Having found on our last visit to our apartment some rather unpleasant dark mold on a wall, i have been searching lots of sites, and threads, to understand the problem and find solutions.
Having no real knowledge or experience of damp in the past i would probably knowing me just have thrown money at it, for example theres the solarventi product i was considering, or even the diy method of solar panel and fan.
but having read this.
http://www.safeguardeurope.com/pdf_datasheets/condensation_guide.pdf .
Its not a free solution, however it gave me a better insight, and now rather than thinking i have a major water leak through the walls, i actually think i may just have a airflow problem. hope it helps someone
martin

steve

Mold-damp-prevention
Hi Martin

Have you tried putting bowls of salt in every room when you lock up and come back to the UK it is an old fashioned method that soakes up any moisture and stops the damp/mold we have had our apartment 6 years now and never had a problem.

Steve and Erika

juco

Mold-damp-prevention
Well Martin, the first thing you must do is establish how or why the damp is being caused, any money spent at this stage is likely to be a waste as you do not know what is causing it.

A couple of things to try....

During the summer months get a hose and hose around the window and door frames and see if any leaks in.....easily solved with a tube of silicone.

Are you on a ground floor? If so then likely to be rising damp.

Is the wall near a window or door?

At what height abouve the floor level is the damp?

Remember that most builds in turkey are single skin and do not have a damp proof course.

Do you have a roof terrace?

You need to answer some of these questions before the problem can be tackled.

I have over a period of 3 years eliminated about 90% of my damp issues for the cost of around 4 tubes of silicone, the biggest problem you might have is if only there in the summer then any damp/wet walls can dry out and hide the source of the problem.

BEZ

Mold-damp-prevention
we buy moisture absorbers and stick a few of them in rooms that we had problems in when we lock up for the winter, also the bowls of salt they work great for us ,we get the absorbers from wilkinsons 1.99 and the refils 99p they are always 3/4 full when we get back usually in the spring and guess what no mold or damp, i have seen them in koc tas but they are expenses
regards Bez

juco

Mold-damp-prevention
we buy moisture absorbers

These plus bowls of salt will take out general dampness in a property over winter, however if you have a `leak` then you would still need to find the cause.

akbukowl

Mold-damp-prevention
In the kind of properties built in turkey as holiday homes the problem tends to be condensation and not rising damp as most people have suggested use bowls of salt in each room and move furniture away from outside walls.we have caravan and do this every winter problem solved

Peregrine

Mold-damp-prevention
In the kind of properties built in turkey as holiday homes the problem tends to be condensation and not rising damp as most people have suggested use bowls of salt in each room and move furniture away from outside walls.we have caravan and do this every winter problem solved

I disagree - most of the time its rising damp (due to the construction technique used that doesnt have a damp proof course or damp proof membrane). The newer houses shouldnt suffer as the building codes now require those features to be incorporated (as I understand it)

its pretty easy to spot as the paint is peeling off the walls at both inside and outside loactions

condensation leads to mould growth, generally on the inside.

salt will only absorb so much water and is unlikely to be effective over the course of 3 months or more

max2741

Mold-damp-prevention
I disagree - most of the time its rising damp (due to the construction technique used that doesnt have a damp proof course or damp proof membrane). The newer houses shouldnt suffer as the building codes now require those features to be incorporated (as I understand it)

its pretty easy to spot as the paint is peeling off the walls at both inside and outside loactions

condensation leads to mould growth, generally on the inside.

salt will only absorb so much water and is unlikely to be effective over the course of 3 months or more

Between October and April the bedding gets quite damp in our place (as we are not there) which points to condensation and lack of air movement, i am trying salt bowls this year and trickle vents in the windows, see what happens also bagging up the matress's, i would definatly recomend movng wardrobes etc away from outside walls as they will definatly draw damp through walls even in double skin walls in the uk when there is lack of air flow/change ie when locked up over winter.

Peregrine

Mold-damp-prevention
Between October and April the bedding gets quite damp in our place (as we are not there) which points to condensation and lack of air movement, .

the bedding is similar to salt in that it has a capacity to absorb water (might not be the right scientific term - possibly hygroscopic)

so when there is a lot of moisture in the air it becomes "damp". same happens with wood - thats why the doors and frames swell up and bind or catch

overall its a complex problem and there are a lot of Indian Medecine Men selling cures who dont care about much except your money

Richazed

Mold-damp-prevention
Ventilation is the answer, buildings should have air vents added when built.
We have to leave a small window ajar and put salt buckets in every room, no problem since by doing this.

martin m

Mold-damp-prevention
Hi all
Thanks for replies, i am now going to take it one step further, i intend to drill through the wall, (i am taking my electric cable and water pipe finder with me) and making a 3inch bore then just simply fitting a vent cover with mesh attatched, to the inside and out side, the question is would the vent be better at ceiling height or ground level.
the background to it is we have a duplex whereupon the only real air vent is on the lower level in a bathroom that was built with the apartment, so by leaving all doors open with the new vents that i put in upstairs would hopefully provide enough air flow over the winter lock up to prevent damp. so higher or lower that is the question.
Any advice welcome and appreciated.
martin

Mold-damp-prevention
I have just fitted solar fans on my duplex after having mold problems the past two years. I used an ordinary drill which you need to be carefull with as a proper core drill has a cut in clutch for protection if the core bit jams. It only took two minutes to drill through the red block but about twenty minutes through the concrete so it might be worth drilling a small test hole to see what your going in to.

juco

Mold-damp-prevention
You are clutching at straws, you are taking action for an unknown cause to a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post find out the cause first.

Is it just dampness ..caused how?

Or is it a leak of some type....

The causes for dampness maybe different for in each case so the treatment may not be a standard bowl of salt.

chelsea

Mold-damp-prevention
Hi

I have read posts in relation to this subject and I was thinking about getting air vents fitted this october,,,, can anybody tell me the name of a company who does this ....I need 3 fitting....

regards

Chelsea

butt007

Warren
Mold-damp-prevention
The air here in Turkey is very humid especialy in the summer months, Alanya last summer recorded their highest ever humidity reading of 97%!! I mean 3% more and we would have been walking around in a fog!

This dampness is quite simply absorbed into anything that will do it..... beds, walls, furniture,etc.

When an apartment or villa is closed up for several months in late summer and through the winter, the moisture in the air condenses out into the furniture and around the tops of walls, the reason for this is that cold air cannot hold moisture the same as warm air can, consequently you end up with dark fungal patches up around the tops of the exterior walls(cold) and behind furniture ie. wardrobes where air cannot circulate.
Warren

Mold-damp-prevention
Juco
I pesonnaly am not cluthing at straws! I am working from the known to the unknown, as in that if a property has no water ingress from leaks ie.. plumbing, roof, windows, doors etc, the property will still need adequate air circulation when it is left empty for a period of time especially the winter months.
regards

Tony

juco

Mold-damp-prevention
I pesonnaly am not cluthing at straws!

HGV I was referring to Martin to find out the cause of his dampness as there could be many reasons, before he starts any remedial work.

I like you have been working away at it for a couple of years and eliminated most of it.

martin m

Mold-damp-prevention
Hi Juco
I think you will find that my first post states that i dont know anything about damp, but i do go on to post a link to a really helpfull site that describes exactly the symptoms that our apartment is showing, so other than leaving salt in bowls in every room over each winter lock up, the alternative is to increase the airflow by putting in extra air vents, the question i simply asked was do they need to be at ground level or ceiling height in each room for efficiency.
You answer that i am clutching at straws, fine no problem, the job will take about 20 mins to drill fix vent plates in and outside and sillicone at a cost of £5 per vent.
Now then any suggestions higher or lower.
martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom