Howell's

missing the UK at xmas
Woke up this morning feeling really low as ı miss the festive spirit of being in the UK at christmas.
I miss the people rushing around doıng there xmas shopping, going shopping for my party frock for the xmas works party :(
I soooo miss my family and friends.... Goıng up the local pub on xmas eve lunch when ive finished work for a few drinks..
Last year it didnt feel so bad as we had just moved here and still finding it all really exciting.
This year im finding it all really hard. :crying: ıts just not the same..
Is this natural or has the Turkey bubble burst ????

Gin&Tonic

missing the UK at xmas
I'm coming up for my 4th Christmas in Turkey and I definitely miss the UK Christmases more now than I did when I first came here.

hijo

in my own clique
missing the UK at xmas
..are you serious ..my missus goes back to the uk for xmas and new year..that is the best time of year for me (thats when my holiday starts)..i would rather be on my own ..can,t stand xmas and new year and all the hype that go,es with it:fencing: ..fair enough its great for young children..thats the way it was meant to be..HUMBUG...:50:

matty

missing the UK at xmas
Sorry to hear that you are feelin a little down this morning!:crying:
Do what i did yesterday, Play some Xmas music, and make the most of this glorious weather that we are having!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reactions: GnD

TURKISH BEGINNER

TURKISH BEGINNER
missing the UK at xmas
I just bring xmas here to Turkey, i usually go back for a visit at the beginning of Nov,before its frantic in the shops......I get my cards and presents for family in UK then buy for friends out in Turkey...I put my tree up and lights, cook a xmas dinner and invite friends round....We get together in the bars over xmas and New Year and make the most of it.....

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
missing the UK at xmas
I absolutely LOVE Christmas in UK and all the rushing around pressie buying and writing loads of cards -- having fun with my family and my lovely Grandkids - sod the expense ! And the joy of the sales after!

5 more sleeps and then we are off -- anyone else on the Bodrum / SAW / Stansted flight on the 7th ??

:50::49::49:

Last edited:

Pete&Mag

missing the UK at xmas
I think I'm in the Hijo camp...Its for kids . Yes Xmas is a bundle of fun in the UK,...Dark, wet ,cold, Festive spirit?...You go into town and its the rule of the jungle(every man for himself in the stores ! ) Pete

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
missing the UK at xmas
I think I'm in the Hijo camp...Its for kids . Yes Xmas is a bundle of fun in the UK,...Dark, wet ,cold, Festive spirit?...You go into town and its the rule of the jungle(every man for himself in the stores ! ) Pete

Ba Humbug Pete Lol :50::50::50:

val2661

missing the UK at xmas
I also miss Christmas in the UK. This will be my third Christmas in Turkey and I miss UK Christmas more than ever. Been back to UK for Christmas shopping which has made it worse, although I could have done without the persistent rain.

Val

felixthecat

felixthecat
missing the UK at xmas
dont mıss the hype leadıng up to xmas.do mıss famıly especıally thıs xmas fırst one wıthout mum who passed away ın october aged 93.
Havnt been able to spend chrıstmas wıth her for the last 3 years but just knowıng she was here helped and ı knew she was wıth my famıly.
Always went back to the uk for her bırthday ın jan then we had our chrıstmas together,ı always play our favourıte xmas song''oh holy nıght''on chrıstmas mornıng and shed a few tears so there wıll be quıte a few tears spıllt thıs year.
mıss you mum.xxxxxx

Howell's

missing the UK at xmas
Yes xmas is definately for the kids. My daughter is only 12 and im trying to make it as festive as possible eg putting the tree up with her yesterday and a few decorations.
İd love to go back to the UK for xmas but we have 2 dogs we brought here with us that causes going back a problem..
Not been back since last November when we left but having a pet is like having more kids the only difference is they cant just get on a plane..
Im sure when ı wake up tomorrow ı will feel different and all will be rosey again.
Dont like to cry ın front of my daughter so making the most of it today while shes at school. I know im probably being stupid but we all have these days im sure

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
missing the UK at xmas
I totally agree that its not the same here, this is our 4th Christmas although this year we will be back in the UK and I can't wait, you try and make it like Christmas, tree n decorations up, and a group of us always get together and go somewhere nice for Christmas lunch, we exchange cards and pressies but its just not the same

Sara-666

missing the UK at xmas
I miss the carol singers when late night shopping and the choice of kids presents in the shops at reasonable prices compared to here, but got to say don't miss it enough to move back! We just have Christmas here instead, decorations, tree, fake snow and turkey for dinner.

Sara

soulmates2uk

gary and sharon
missing the UK at xmas
God theres some miseraable old farts on this forum!! we will be home for xmas and new year buying kids grandkids and family presents that wont fall apart before there opened, pubs, watching the wife and kids falling on the ice skating rink, santas grotto, watching thier faces on xmas morning , traditional pillow fights , new year party , decent cheese, pork sausages, fireworks, and hopefully SNOW!!!
then when its time to fly back well start looking forward to warmer weather and our friends here cant wait!!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
missing the UK at xmas
I don,t miss Christmas in the UK at all. This is our 5th Christmas here, this is our home and we have all the things that go with with Christmas even the joint of pork.
We had Christmas number 2 in UK and everything was so expensive.

Gail

missing the UK at xmas
Yes xmas is definately for the kids. My daughter is only 12 and im trying to make it as festive as possible eg putting the tree up with her yesterday and a few decorations.
İd love to go back to the UK for xmas but we have 2 dogs we brought here with us that causes going back a problem..
Not been back since last November when we left but having a pet is like having more kids the only difference is they cant just get on a plane..
Im sure when ı wake up tomorrow ı will feel different and all will be rosey again.
Dont like to cry ın front of my daughter so making the most of it today while shes at school. I know im probably being stupid but we all have these days im sure

I'm sorry you are feeling low, I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling a lot brighter. I miss Christmas in the UK as I love all the hype and Christmas parties before Christmas. I love shopping in London when it is so so busy and having to wrap and nice and warm. I have felt low of quite a few occasions over the last couple of years but a good nights sleep works wonders. Have a good cry and get it out of your system, you'll feel tons better tomorrow xxx

Fastlady

missing the UK at xmas
I had Christmas in Turkey last year for the first time and thought I'd be fine...but do confess to feeling a little 'flat' on the day itself! This year I'm (hoping) to fly back to the UK on 21st, just time to do some last minute shopping, get into the swing of things and then, when it's all over, back home for New Year! I think a week in the UK should give me enough of a fix!

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
missing the UK at xmas
dont mıss the hype leadıng up to xmas.do mıss famıly especıally thıs xmas fırst one wıthout mum who passed away ın october aged 93.
Havnt been able to spend chrıstmas wıth her for the last 3 years but just knowıng she was here helped and ı knew she was wıth my famıly.
Always went back to the uk for her bırthday ın jan then we had our chrıstmas together,ı always play our favourıte xmas song''oh holy nıght''on chrıstmas mornıng and shed a few tears so there wıll be quıte a few tears spıllt thıs year.
mıss you mum.xxxxxx

Aww -- the first xmas without Mum is the very worst - I cried buckets all the day - it does get better believe me but you NEVER forget your Mum.
This will be my 9th xmas now and she is always in my thoughts and I know she is with me all the time !

saffie

Saffie
missing the UK at xmas
Odd reading this as I was a real Christmas nutter when I lived in the uk........loved all the hype and preparations. Spent days in the kitchen making yummy things for everyone to tuck into over the festive period,really went to town on decorating the house up and getting the biggest christmas tree I could lay my hands on and was a real stickler taking the kids to the local forestry place to choose the perfect shape and smell tree. It was all enormous fun and my kids really miss me not being around for Christmas these days.

Have been in Turkey 10 years now and have no desire whatsoever to go to uk for Christmas, and no desire to celebrate it here either. I wonder what happened? :hmm:

saffie

maggie

missing the UK at xmas
I agree Christmas is not the same without your Mum.

My Mum was Christmas she adored everything that went with it ,all the hustle and bustle ,shopping cooking etc.

She died 3 years ago this January and we moved to Turkey the July after she died.

The first Christmas here we spent Christmas day on the beach with a picnic and I actually loved it so simple !!!

I dont miss all the rushing,crowds stupid Christmas songs and trying to get the last packet of mincepies on Christmas Eve.

Maybe I sound like a right miserable fart but as I say Christmas went when my Mum did.

Hugs Maggie xxx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom