immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Min Wage 2010
From Zaman (extract):

New minimum wage set to increase by 9.7 percent in 2010

The new net minimum wage is set to increase to TL 577.01 per month for workers over the age of 16 in the first six months of 2010 and will rise to TL 599.58 in the second half of the year, a cumulative annual growth of 9.7 percent over the 2009 level of TL 546.48, a raise seen as too low by labor unions.
The Minimum Wage Determination Commission late on Tuesday determined the new minimum wage for the next year, which will go into effect on Jan. 1. According to the commission’s decision, the net minimum wage for workers over 16 will increase by 4.3 percent and 5.2 percent in the first and second halves of the coming year, respectively. The gross minimum wage for these workers will be TL 729 and TL 760.50 in the same periods.

The net minimum wage for workers under the age of 16 will be TL 499.62 starting from Jan. 1 until June 30 and TL 518.97 from July 1 to Dec. 31. For the same periods, gross minimum wages will be TL 621 and TL 648, respectively

Full article:
New minimum wage set to increase by 9.7 percent in 2010

Ian

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Min Wage 2010
Isn,t it scary to think you wouldn,t even get out of bed for that kind of money in UK.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Min Wage 2010
If you only earned that kind of money in the UK, you wouldn't have a bed to get out of.

Steve.

Min Wage 2010
I don't profess to be an expert but even with the new rise in place that is still only about 35% of the minimum wage in this country. It does sort of put things into perspective. It equates to approx £57 per week.

It sort of makes you wonder how they manage on a day to day basis, no wonder we are all seen as bloody millionaires and are occasionally ripped off!

Martyn

Min Wage 2010
I was talking to a waiter in a restaurant a couple of years ago and he was earning a pittance for 18 hour days!!!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Min Wage 2010
I don't profess to be an expert but even with the new rise in place that is still only about 35% of the minimum wage in this country. It does sort of put things into perspective. It equates to approx £57 per week.

It sort of makes you wonder how they manage on a day to day basis, no wonder we are all seen as bloody millionaires and are occasionally ripped off!

Hardly an hours wage in UK.

Janice McAndrew

Northernlass1959
Min Wage 2010
Hi,

It does not say how they are going to make sure that the employer will in fact pay the employee the increased rate - I know people who are still waiting for money from the end of Summer 09 season as the restaurant owner didn't have a enough money to pay the staff so how is he going to pay the increased rate next season?

Jan

Smiler

Min Wage 2010

Of course I understand that many Turks live in comparitive poverty to most in Western Europe but I've had this discussion with Turkish friends of mine, the majority of Turks just do not realise the cost of living in the UK today for items such as mortgages, council tax, food etc.

Last edited:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Min Wage 2010
In some cases Turkish living costs are less than the UK, but this does not mean that these workers should have to work, in many cases without a break for so many hours and for a pittance. When you see it in Black and White £57 for a weeks work !!! I respect these lads, who work so hard for a season and in most cases send their hard earned cash home to their Mum and Dads.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Min Wage 2010
Can i just say that unless you have had to manage on these kind of wages you will never know what its like !! £228 per month . Take out money for rent , electricity , water,food , childrens school uniforms, childrens shoes etc ..The wage is no better than slave labour !! Its also one of the reasons i don't haggle anymore ,, 2/3 lira cheaper to me is taking the food out of a childs mouth !! 2, 3. 4, lira will buy a loaf and some eggs I get really annoyed by flippent comments on this subject ,, I've seen it lived with it and its not a pretty sight watching a man cry cos he can't feed his child and elderly mum .
Especialy when this dosen't even apply to seasonal workers Who have to survive all winter and also like everyone else need coal to keep warm .. In the citys were most tourists never see life is pure misery in winter !!! My Husband works from 8am untill 01am in summer last night he said he's just surviving with pasta bread eggs and cheese ,
Compared to all the food wasted in uk at xmas its not much is it ..
This is why after 3 years of marriage we still can't live together and i'm in the UK
He speaks fluent English & German and even studied law but there wasn't the funds to carry on . He stopped smokeing 15 yrs ago !!! I long to be with my husband but don't want to add to his burdens ....Rant Over ......Diane

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Min Wage 2010
Well our staff certainly would NOT work for that kind of wage ! Our chef"s are on
2 ,000 tl + per month -- including full board and accomodation -- not a bad wage!
Even our pot washer earns 800 tl a month !
I feel so sorry for these waiters who are owed money from last season -- WHY do they stay and work when they do not get their wages paid ??
Our waiters get paid every week - + their tips -

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Min Wage 2010
I agree that the minimum wage needs to be increased. I also agree that the government should not be trying to rape companies such as ourselves and then expect us to pay more in wages. The president of the pharmacy association recently stated on TV that pharmacies were only grossing 20%, now the government is attempting to take away another 13%, plus an increase of almost 10% in wages....you tell me how the numbers add up.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Bob

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Min Wage 2010
Well our staff certainly would NOT work for that kind of wage ! Our chef"s are on
2 ,000 tl + per month -- including full board and accomodation -- not a bad wage!
Even our pot washer earns 800 tl a month !
I feel so sorry for these waiters who are owed money from last season -- WHY do they stay and work when they do not get their wages paid ??
Our waiters get paid every week - + their tips -

AND, of all your staff that we have met Sue, are all very smart, courteous, and look after your customers, we always have a good laugh with the lads.

Min Wage 2010
But these wages dont only apply to workers in service industries ..the vast majority of workers are working in factories and agriculture and other places ..and the price of white goods for eg. and also water electricity telephone etc is the same for everybody..so the great majority if Turkish people..including those who earn more than the minimum wage struggle to make ends meet.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom