hijo

in my own clique
Milk
.migros, kippa, and tansas all sell fresh milk , but when we come into autumn and winter,there seems to be less on the shelves ..:boohoo:

Milk
As everyone has said all the big supermarkets sell it I think its got a red top and its in the plastic containers we have here in supermarkets, I have only ever seen it in the 2 pintish size, I never end up buying it as I have never found the dates very good, only ever a day or so left on them.

I suppose there would be longer if you get it the day its delivered to the supermarket, if you want it on a regular basis it might be worth asking them what day they have a delivery.

Jane

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Milk
You can always freeze it. Just pour a small amount off first to allow for expansion. It keeps well for 3 or 4 months. You could also freeze it in ice-cube trays if you're only going to need it in small amounts.

stephie

Stephie
Milk
Thanks everyone - bit green really as very new to Turkey so got alot to learn......stand by for more silly questions!

hijo

in my own clique
Milk
..don,t worry too much about that ,stephie we have all asked questions that we think are silly ..but there not ..ask anything you need to know about turkey ..i am sure someone will help..after all that is what forums are for ..we all asked questions at some point ..that is why we have the knowledge to pass them on to others...:hearnoevi

CanadaMom

Milk
You can have the sütcü deliver milk to you - straight from his cow. My mother-in-law does this. You must boil it before drinking it (not a known fact in Canada I guess - authorities there have banned buying raw milk). You will need to ask some Turkish people around you for the sütcü (pronounced "sootjew"). He will will be viilage person with no English - but they can help you and the milk is very good.

To boil it: they usually give you between 2-5L (you can specify how much you want). Place small plate in bottom of large pot, pour in milk. Heat until boiling, then turn down and allow to simmer for 25-35 min, approx. Allow to cool, skim off the cream on top (I believe this is called clotted cream for the British). Give to your Turkish neighbourghs if you don,t want it (called kimak, sp?) and they will be very happy as it is apparently very expensive here - was nearly disowned by the m-in-l when I suggested throwing out the old kimak!! Lasts for about a week.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Milk
Hi Stephie,

Funnily enough i've just bought some fresh milk for the very first time today, after a 5 month residency here in Antalya...

Was doing my weekly shop with hubby in 5M Migros and spotted the glass bottles with the aforementioned red top. You need to look for "gunluk sut" on the label.

Of course as everyone else has mentioned, you can find it in mostly all the supermarkets..but i can definately say it's well worth it. The taste was a million miles better than the UHT stuff..in fact we both polished the bottle off without a second thought!!

Happy hunting!!..

Milk
I'm not very fussy about milk - just a drop in my coffee so it might as well be UHT and milk has lots of nasty bugs in when it goes off.

stephie

Stephie
Milk
Fab! One happy hubby hopefully! Going out in November so will check it out. Once again Forumers you have excelled - max brownie points all round.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom