ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Military Zones
Maybe someone with a sharper mind than mine could interpret this for me as I'm hitting the wall with it.

Under the 'Buying Property in Turkey' section of the Office of First Economic Counsellor, Turkish Embassy London website, it says at 1.1.3. 'Legal entities(companies), established or participated in Turkey by foreign investors can acquire real estate or limited rights in rem in Turkey in line with operational purposes set in Company's Articles of Association', and 'On the other hand, the acquisition of sites in military forbidden zones, security zones, and strategic zones by legal entities (companies), is subject to the consent of the Turkish General Staff or military authorities designated by General Staff. The acquisition of sites in special security zones is subject to consent of the governor of the province where the property is located.'

At 1.3 it then goes on to say, 'Foreign nationals and foreign commercial companies are not allowed to buy property in the military, strategic and security zones of Turkey.'

It goes on basically to say that the Tapu office will check whether the property you are buying is within one of these forbidden zones or not, and that the military will also do a check. If the military advise that the property is outside the forbidden zones, then your application will be accepted.

The way I'm reading this is that it is saying on the one hand that foreign companies can buy in the military, strategic, or security zones with the consent of the Turkish General Staff, but then it contradicts itself by saying that foreigners are not allowed to purchase property in these areas.

My fear is they'll arbitrarily announce that homes in these areas owned by foreign companies have 6 months to get out or something to that effect. Please don't say as has been said here previously 'oh why did u buy there when there was so much property elsewhere?'

The fact is that people were shown properties in these areas by respectable estate agents and told they could purchase in the areas legally by the formation of a company. I also did my checks with a solicitor and an accountant there and they said it was legal and above board and the property I bought was the one I wanted above all the others.

My point is though, aside from this being a completely vague area, how the heck did I as a foreigner (even with a company), get permission from the military to own a company in a forbidden zone when it expressly says foreigners are not allowed to purchase property in these areas. I mean, the names and addresses on the company papers are quite clearly not Turkish so how or why do the military not turn these applications down?

The parts I quoted earlier can be found here

C

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Military Zones
To add to the nonsense of it - there will be no restriction on renting in these areas, so it is not an objection to any individual living close to some sensitive location, just the ownership. If you had any evil intent you will probably not be investing cash in buying property in the area, but rental would probably be a better option.
Ian

M

Mack

Military Zones
Thats an interesting one C.

My accountant once told me that using a company to buy in a restricted zone reflects on the limited companies Articles of Association (ie: what the company is all about). If you want to start, for example, a hairdressers and you intend to use the property for that then its OK but if they find out you are not actually using that address to run an active company as per the Articles, it could be deemed to be bypassing the regs.

As always its such a grey area but that explanation makes a bit of sense, so if youre not running an active company from the registered address and youre found out you could be in trouble.

Perhaps the no foreigners allowed to buy thing is trying to make a distinction, as a Turklish Ltd. Sti company could be classified as a Turkish entity and THAT is what is buying the property, not the directors named in the company?

bodrumsjh

Military Zones
As I understand it:

Following a change to the law which came into force last July, a Ltd company owned by a foreigner can no longer buy a property in a restricted area unless they can satisfy the authorities that the property is necessary as part of that company's genuine activities.

Foreigners who have already had a Ltd company which owned a property before July 2008 can continue to own it but the Ltd company could not buy a different property in a restricted area.

As foreigners can no longer buy in a restricted area via a Ltd company, it follows that if the Ltd company wanted to sell the property, they can only do so to a Turkish person / company.

dalyansteve

Military Zones
If you are Turkish and buy property in a millitarily sensitive zone, it is given that if the country goes to war and the millitary want to use this land they can and will. I seem to remember that there is something in the car documents owned by a Turk that the millitary can and will take their vehicle and use it if necesary.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Military Zones
If you are Turkish and buy property in a millitarily sensitive zone, it is given that if the country goes to war and the millitary want to use this land they can and will. I seem to remember that there is something in the car documents owned by a Turk that the millitary can and will take their vehicle and use it if necesary.

They can do all of that and much more in the UK as well in times of war......

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom