Useful Information

Selden

Merhaba
I stumbled on Turkish Living this morning while trying to figure out what to say to a friend whose brother-in-law had just died. When I was a student at Robert College 1964-66, I had little need to know such vocabulary.

Istanbul was a much smaller place then, with about 3.5 million people. Thanks to John Freely and Hilary Sumner-Boyd, I was able to explore much of the city as they gathered material for what eventually became their guide book, Strolling Through Istanbul.

Last year, my wife and I planned a return trip, intending to rent a car and spend two weeks driving around Anatolia. The coronavirus pandemic upended our plans. In preparation for that trip, I returned to studying Turkish, which I am still doing. It remains my favorite language after my native tongue, English. In some aspects Turkish is "easy" because of its regularity, but the syntax and word order remain challenging for an American. Studying Arabic and Persian since 1968 provided context for some things that were previously inexplicable when I first started learning Turkish. My wife and I still hope to finish our trip in 2021 or 2022.

I am looking forward to picking up new things in this forum.

Finally, my name, Selden Deemer, while it makes some sense in Turkish, has absolutely no connection.

TLF Admin

Administrator
Merhaba
Hoşgeldiniz Selden, hope you find the forum useful while we wait out the pandemic.

There are many people whose travel plans have been put on hold, let's hope we can get over this soon.

How are you learning Turkish?

Selden

Merhaba
Hoş bulduk. Teşekkürler.

Thanks to the internet, there are so many resources now that were unavailable 55 years ago, from online dictionaries to courses, to music videos. After trying several online courses, I settled on Babbel as the best fit for my needs. I also follow the Easy Turkish channel on YouTube, which is very helpful for listening to real conversational Turkish — not the simplified sentences used in courses. They speak rapidly, but I can always slow playback to 75%, if I need to.

I have been holding Whatsapp conversations with my two RC roommates, as well as with a Turkish family who live in Arnavutköy. There are enormous numbers of Turkish music videos on YouTube, which help train my ear. I live in rural Georgia, where Turkish speakers are difficult to find.

Bu cevabı Türkçe yazabilirdim, ama çok uzun sürerdi!

shash

shash
Merhaba
Hoş bulduk. Teşekkürler.

Thanks to the internet, there are so many resources now that were unavailable 55 years ago, from online dictionaries to courses, to music videos. After trying several online courses, I settled on Babbel as the best fit for my needs. I also follow the Easy Turkish channel on YouTube, which is very helpful for listening to real conversational Turkish — not the simplified sentences used in courses. They speak rapidly, but I can always slow playback to 75%, if I need to.

I have been holding Whatsapp conversations with my two RC roommates, as well as with a Turkish family who live in Arnavutköy. There are enormous numbers of Turkish music videos on YouTube, which help train my ear. I live in rural Georgia, where Turkish speakers are difficult to find.

Bu cevabı Türkçe yazabilirdim, ama çok uzun sürerdi!
Go on answer it in Turkish! It'll be giving us something to help hone our Turkish.😉

Camden

Merhaba
Welcome, to you both Selden & Wife ...You will enjoy some of the Forums threads very informative by people who are in the know, in return please let us know what's happening in the US ...

Ps we have another American member who lives and worked hear in Turkey maybe worth giving him a conversation Look under member name Middlearth

Latest Posts

Top Bottom