oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
Has anyone any experience of a company 'similar' to National Express (NE) called 'Megabus' https://uk.megabus.com/.

Or maybe it might even be helpful to someone.
Although I did a couple of dummy searches last night but found it not as helpful as I would of liked especially for early hours of the morning airport journey's.

But prices 'at least from Birmingham are a lot cheaper than NE although not much good being cheaper if you cant get direct to the airport.

carolinej

Megabus.com
i have heard of this ,and someone i know has a daughter that always uses them ( or did) she even went to europe on them ,i believe they are the cheapest around .i do remember searching myself for something a while back but found it difficult to navigate ,and they don't go where and when i wanted .good luck

Camden

Megabus.com
Has anyone any experience of a company 'similar' to National Express (NE) called 'Megabus' https://uk.megabus.com/.

Or maybe it might even be helpful to someone.
Although I did a couple of dummy searches last night but found it not as helpful as I would of liked especially for early hours of the morning airport journey's.

But prices 'at least from Birmingham are a lot cheaper than NE although not much good being cheaper if you cant get direct to the airport.

I thought OF with all the money you keep posting you are making on the back of the dire straights of the Turkish economy... ref Lira exchange.. and the properties you tell us you are buying on the Lira thread... you could at least afford a taxi...rather than some cheap bus... scrooge ha ha LOL ....:5:

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
No way am I giving any of my cash to some to-rag of a taxi driver, it' bad enough having to pay one of them for a taxi to the coach station, but at around 6am there isnt much option and as I usually go out for a couple of months each time then park and rise is also out f the question.

And yes I do have a few bob and intend hanging on to it for as long as possible.

Camden

Megabus.com
No way am I giving any of my cash to some to-rag of a taxi driver, it' bad enough having to pay one of them for a taxi to the coach station, but at around 6am there isnt much option and as I usually go out for a couple of months each time then park and rise is also out f the question.

And yes I do have a few bob and intend hanging on to it for as long as possible.

No pockets in a shroud OF go on enjoy yourself, you know you want to LOL ... with a bit of luxury, and spread that wealth :biggrin:... ref Taxi drivers

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Megabus.com

Most of us have friends for those little tasks ! Anyway back on the naughty step.

Martin

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
No pockets in a shroud OF go on enjoy yourself, you know you want to LOL ... with a bit of luxury, and spread that wealth :biggrin:... ref Taxi drivers
No chance at least not the taxi drivers here in Birmingham. I wouldn't give them the drippings of my nose.

Most of us have friends for those little tasks ! Anyway back on the naughty step.
Martin

Very true but sometimes arranging ones own affairs can be very rewarding especially when not having to rely on friends especially when it means getting them out of bed in the early hours of the morning as most of my flights tend to be in the early hours, plus it would also means them taking a day of work.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
Where from to OF ?

Martin
Usually Birmingham to Stansted airport, but occasionally also to Bristol airport, so as you can imagine a taxi fare to either point would not be very economical.

Although I live fairly close to Birmingham airport even to there it's about £30. (or at least that's what I paid the last time.
But flights to Bodrum or Izmir are not very forthcoming.

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Megabus.com
See what you mean, we use the train where possible, just got quoted £33 return Motherwell to Manchester at short notice, which is reasonable.
Works for us as that train goes into manc airport.

Martin

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
See what you mean, we use the train where possible, just got quoted £33 return Motherwell to Manchester at short notice, which is reasonable.
Works for us as that train goes into manc airport.

Martin
Have looked at the train in the past but it's the changing option at the other end that sometimes confuses me. But so-far National Express have got me where I need to get to, even though a bit tiring as with the homeward journey from Stansted of 5 hours especially after a 4 hour flight, and similar times on a departure flight.

But food for thought and will checkout the train to Manchester airport, as again I also have a train station a short taxi ride away.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
Manchester airport return = £122. @2hours travel time
National express about £25

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Megabus.com
Depends on times and dates, the further away you book the cheaper usually, I got Brum to Manc Airport at £44 return, still dearer than NE, I would expect to be in 1st Class at £122 though.
Our last Motherwell to Manc airport return trip (about 3 hours plus) was £160 return 1st class for the 2 of us as an example.

Martin

Tonyone01

Megabus.com
Oldfogy my wife recently did Rubery to BHX by train for £5.60. In the past she has used a taxi which cost £30 !

oldfogy

Just passing through
Megabus.com
Depends on times and dates, the further away you book the cheaper usually, I got Brum to Manc Airport at £44 return, still dearer than NE, I would expect to be in 1st Class at £122 though.
Our last Motherwell to Manc airport return trip (about 3 hours plus) was £160 return 1st class for the 2 of us as an example.

Martin
the £122 journey was not 1st class and on both journey's was for outbound on 17th April but had to chose a return date of about 14 days as my own return date of June is too far ahead for their system to compute.
BUT as this years dates are now all taken care of I'll have to wait for either next year or a next booking to try something again, but apart from the train either of the coach journeys are about the same and yes I guess I'll be sticking with the devil I know even if NE are a bit dearer.

Oldfogy my wife recently did Rubery to BHX by train for £5.60. In the past she has used a taxi which cost £30 !
Taxi for £30 how many years ago was that?
My £35 taxi ride was from BHX to Handsworth Wood approximately 9.5 miles. Rubery is about 20 miles according to Google

But as I think I now have what I was looking for, then time to call it a day and maybe someone else will find the info useful and yes it was all useful and gave me a reminder of alternatives such as the train.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom