bobthenob

Non Active Member
Mediterranean roof garden
I always loved the idea of a Mediterranean roof garden,sitting on the top with a drink and just admire the surrounding scenery with the aromatic fragrance the plants gives off.l also love the sound of the rustling leaves helped along by the gentle breeze during the day.

30igbps.jpg

To make a roof garden,you need to think differently to what a ground garden that needs to flourish.Before you start buying the materials for the roof garden,it is best to draw out the plans and the materials you would like first.

Find out whether the roof can support the weight of the materials,as this can be quite embarrassing while entertaining a group of friends and then find themselves crashing into the living room while still holding their drinks without spilling a drop.Now that’s an achievement in itself.

Soil is heavy especially when wet..The strongest part of the roof is around the edges for the materials to go.Also it is a good place for plant support when those higher woody plants reach maturity.This is when they need the support to give the privacy and shade one ecpects from a roof garden.And also the vegetables as they grow, they also need the support once they have reached a certain height.

Have a water butt in place, that collects the rain water during the winter for the use of the roof garden later in the year,so as create some kind of irrigation system for watering the plants.A long hose obscured by the hidden plants resting on the pots will water the plants just by a turn of the tap.Just pierce the hose,where that section of hose is resting,with the end hose capped.

Create a bamboo screen with the section of the balcony floor covered with pebbles,or a wood deck flooring.Have mosquito repellent plants on the pebbles and also palms and cacti's.Bamboo plants in large tubs will be ideal for that tranquill bliss.There are many different varieties of bamboo,where some can only reach one foot and others can reach 20 foot or more.

Normal standard would be a bench for the sitting area of the decking surrounded by the bamboo screen.But l do love the idea of a lounger sitting between the foliage with a small table to rest my alcoholic drink on.

Have separate square foot gardens on the edge to grow your flowers and vegetables.There easier to water,requires less maintenance.The disadvantage of the roof garden is it does generate more heat then on the ground and is more exposed to the elements the weather can throw at.The roof also radiates heat,so you will need plants that are more heat tolerate then the one’s on the ground.

The weather gets extremely hot during the peak season and it is essential to make some sort of covering for the roof garden.A pergola with a bamboo covering would be ideal,since it would blend in with the materials laid out.
To combat the winds and heat,install wind shields and trellises and other vertical growing supports.Grow the climbers that will keep the weather elements at bay,climbing rose,honeysuckle, mainly leafy type plants that provides shade and cover.

Grow your own fruit and vegetables in square foot containers,cucumbers,peppers,tomatoes etc

Last edited:

maggie

Ow Bob that looks fab r u going to make one on your top terrace.?????

Hugs Maggie xxx

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Ow Bob that looks fab r u going to make one on your top terrace.?????

Hugs Maggie xxx
l do have the plans in my head,but at the moment not on paper,due to the unfornate circumstances l am in.

l have it all worked on out how to make the ideal roof garden,that requires little maintennaince.

Once my circumstances change.l can then go ahead with my hobby and what l enjoy best.ls to be with nature and work with nature.

l have a drawn out plan how to build a rustic bird house to encourage the little birds in as a nature insecticide.The bamboo screening is an ldeal home for the many variety of lacewings,ladybirds,and carpenter bees etc.

The main solution to all the ongoing problems that gardening can create, is to get it right in the first place.And the secret is to low maintenance is to welcome nature to do the work for you,by encouraging the many insect and animal species in the roof garden.You now have a eco-system at work,without using the manmade products that go against nature.

l believe in going with nature ans it will work with you.Once one goes against nature it will go against one trying to keep on top of things.

SAMIMI

EX MEMBER
I have a Bamboo plant in my garden. It is the thin stemmed one, the same as they have down at the Turgutreis marina. If anyone wants it, they can have it for free! I cannot dig it out myself as I have a back problem. You are welcome to come and dig it out yourself if you happen to be looking for a bamboo.
I am in Turgutreis on the Bodrum peninsula.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom