ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Mayor Banned From Travelling Abroad
I have to confess I am increasingly confused by Turkish politics.

The perception I have is that it seems to have got 'worse' since Erdogan came to office. That may be too simplistic, but there appears to be a growing amount of confrontation and aggression in both the domestic and foreign policies of this government.

I'm aware of course that the courts set-up is far different from our own, and that the govt. may or may not influence their decisions, but surely decisions like the one highlighted below is not what's expected from a forward looking democracy?

I may be completely off the mark here because as I say, I find it more and more difficult to understand what direction the country is taking.

'A Diyarbakır court has banned Mayor Osman Baydemir from leaving the country in connection with the operation against the Kurdish Communities Union (KCK), an organization that allegedly functions as the urban arm of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).'

Here

C

ChrisBobs

I have the same perception of increased agressiveness.

However under Turkish Law- the accused is GUILTY until proven otherwise.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
I have the same perception of increased agressiveness.

However under Turkish Law- the accused is GUILTY until proven otherwise.

What a good system! :gulme:

It's interesting to note too that currently 33 Turkish journalists are in prison for all sorts of things but mainly for 'making propoganda for a terrorist organisation'.

If a journo interviews a pro-Kurdish politician and prints or broadcasts their views on the PKK for example, they can be locked up - not much democracy there I'm afraid.

C

Last edited:

geordie_nev

Squeaky

Good afternoon:

After my gratuitous comment of a few days ago I planned to keep
away from this forum for awhile but ............

Appreciate seeing the link to Mustafa Aykol's site as I have liked his columns that I have read in the Hurriyet previously and look forward to working my way through the various articles.

I would like to comment on the original post, if I may.

I am of the opposite opinion concerning the situation since the AK Party came to power in that I have the impression that life for the average person has become much better. For example policemen are actually being charged after beating prisoners to death as in the case of the man in Istanbul who was arrested passing out "!eftist" newspapers. Another policeman was charged after shooting a youth on a mo-ped who failed to stop when ordered to etc etc.

The Dogan media empire is having to face up to the facts at last. While a number of newspapers and NGO's have made a lot of noise about the fine I think it will turn out that there is a valid reason for the tax evasion fines. In addition Aydin Dogan and daughter will soon face trial for purchasing newspaper aboard from his own company at inflated prices and importing it into Turkey when it could have been purchased locally more cheaply. Great way to get funds out of the country and safely hidden away from the eye of the tax department.

Of course in addition there is the Ergenekon trials which are very scary if one considers the scale of the activities in which these people MIGHT have been involved. Difficult to imagine some of these things happening in your own country but they seemed to have happened even if this group of people are not found guilty - the events happened regardless of who was responsible. Scary to say the least. If interested in some background reading type "Turkish Gladio" into Google as I am not permitted to paste links - less then 15 posts.

There are too many examples of the improvements to mention in a post like this but they are there - in my humble opinion as they say.

As mentioned in Mr Aykol's article there is a lot of turmoil domestically when the AK Party challenges the status quo in a democratic way. I have the impression that 90 % of the shouting and screaming against the actions of the government are attempts to re-erect the "Ankara Wall" as Mr Aykol calls. Can you imagine what it would be like to have the CHP or MHP in power.

Rather then the government being able to influence the courts I think one will find that the courts are on the other side if one looks at some of their decisions i.e. the need for 367 votes to elect a president, overturning a democratically enacted law on headscarves in public places etc.

It seems to me that it is quite reasonable for a court to ban someone who is under investigation from leaving it's jurisdiction - in the UK the court orders someone to hand in their passport. There are any number of "persons of interest" residing overseas out of the reach of the authorities who have fled to avoid arrest.

I look forward with great interest to my daily paper and reading everything I can on line about the great things that are happening in this country.

Trust there are nothing in the above that is offensive.

Cheer

Squeaky

P.S Will make the bet that when looking back to this era in 30 years time that it will rank along with the 1920's as one of the two most pivotal periods in the history of Turkey. Regret that I am unlikely to be here to witness it or pay up on the bet if I'm wrong.

Sorry Chris - couldn't resist!!!!

Squeaky

Good evening:

shirleyanntr - I did not say that no one was killed or mistreated by the police - my point was that there has been an improvement in charging police for offenses which one incidentally learns about now whereas I suspect a lot incidents were under or mis-reported in the pass. No, all is not perfect but I believe there has been improvement.

what other points do you disagree with, please?

cheers

Squeaky

hm..im not fond of the AK party ..and while the Doğan group are not lily white the disproportionate tax fines came about after they had exposed the Deniz Fenari scandal...in which Mr erdoğan was implicated along with other members of the ak party.. im sure you are au fait with all the hoo hah and the public animosity between the two...
Also the press is being increasingly gagged which is not a good thing...look how many journalists have been imprisoned and even murdered..

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Maybe they were too busy investigating the army or the police then to carry out a proper investigation into murders such as that below, or Hrant Dink the journalist murdered 3 years ago?

'The European Court of Human Rights found Turkey guilty of carrying out an insufficient investigation regarding the murder of university student Önder Babat.'

Here

C

Squeaky

Good evening again:

shirleyanntr mentions the exposure of the connection between Ak Party and a scandal in Germany which never seems to have gone far beyond the accusation stage. The last I recall reading on this subject said something to the effect they were waiting for the file from the German authorities. Guess it is in the line up as there are over 2,000,000 court cases outstanding in the various courts already.

I wonder if any one on this forum recalls a very public spat between Erdoğan and Aydin Dogan about the rezoning of a large piece of property in Istanbul some time ago. When the Dogan newspapers attacked the AK Party Erdogan said something to the effect that he was disliked by Dogan because he had refused to do him a favour and change the zoning on a large piece of property Dogan had purchased with the intention of building a large hotel and commercial complex. There was some tit for tat comments but suddenly or shortly after it all went underground and there were no further comment in the papers.

I have been trying to find something on this subject but have failed so far - would appreciate some help if anyone could point me in the right direction as I want to refresh my memory which isn't all that good these days.

Who is supposed to be behind the jailing and murder of journalists? It seems to me that there are some over zealous prosecutors who are very quick to file charges left right and center. I was going to name names but as I am a guest in this country will try to refrain and just say that it seems the charges are filed by prosecutors from the secular and nationalistic wing of politics.

Cheers

Squeaky

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom