johnfella

Mary , Our Lady's House
Good Morning From Ireland
Can anyone inform of the best way to get to Mary , Our Lady's House ? We do not fancy going on orgnised tour . Just get there and spend an hour or two , then back to Altinkum .
Maybe stop at Outlet Shopping in Soke on the way home , According to my wife this part of the break in the journey , will take more than a Hour or two .

teresa

Free Thinker
Mary , Our Lady's House
The house is tiny John and you will shuffle through in about 3 minutes and probably spend only 30 minutes there including looking round the grounds. Take a bottle for the holy water from the spring.

I took my sister-in-law a few weeks ago and we just got a taxi. I noted that entrance to the house is free but you pay 11ytl each for the road and carpark!

I had been about 12 years ago and the road has certainly improved although the house was even smaller than I remembered.

alison09400

Mary , Our Lady's House
Go on a Sunday...they have mass.

Your best idea would be to get an Izmir coach and get off at Selcuk. You can then get a taxi up the mountain to Meryemana.

If you're wanting to go to the Outlet shops at Soke, you'll need to get a dolmus to Kusadasi, then one to Soke and another out to the Outlets.

Guz1

Mary , Our Lady's House
John,

Sunday Mass in English starts at 10.30 a.m. We usually drive there and don't have to pay the entrance fee when we explain that we're going to mass. Selcuk Municipality collects the entrance fee for maintaining the road up the mountain. None of the money goes to maintain the shrine.

There's a restaurant near the house that serves decent food at reasonable prices.

magpie

magpie
Mary , Our Lady's House
If they got the coach to Izmir Ally, could they not get off at the turn for Ephesus and connect with a taxi there? It would be cheaper than going into selcuk and back out?

Guz1

Mary , Our Lady's House
There are usually a couple of taxis at the turn for Ephesus. Taxis can be seriously expensive because in addition to paying the return fare you have to pay the driver to wait for you while you visit the house, which means negotiating a price in advance rather than just paying what's on the meter.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom