Status
Not open for further replies.

the bueman

Martin McGuiness dead
Martin McGuinness

Passionate Republican to Man of Peace.....RIP

I hope he has a quiet and dignified send off.....for me that will signal The Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin McGuiness dead
It has just been announced that Martin McGuiness has died of rare heart condition aged 66.

Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness dies aged 66 - BBC News

Just scan read the item and what jumped out at me was the following sentence:

"Martin McGuinness grew up in Derry's Bogside, radicalised by discrimination and murder on the streets of his city."

"Radicaised" indeed. People always have a choice as to whether they wished to be radicalised or not.

Secondly, it was not "his" city.

Perhaps it's me, but I think the above quote is sloppy journalism that hints at bias?

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
Did not agree with all his choices nor indeed with some areas his political path was taking us all- BUT

As an Irish Republican, a politician who reached out to all sides and as an individual who put family country and beliefs in that order I salute him.

You did your best MMG

TAL

teosgirl

Martin McGuiness dead
Yesterday was the 24th Anniversary of the Warrington bomb 2 young children murdered by the IRA sorry but the man was a former IRA commander can't and never will forgive terrorists!

Discovered in a car full of explosives in 1978 (allegedly 4 years after he quit the IRA) according to Sky News.
He was a liar and a killer. Why would anyone believe he'd changed just because he put on a suit?

He also claimed to be proud of being a member of the IRA.

Good riddance.

Martin McGuinness refuses to say if he killed people while in IRA

Charlotte

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
Firstly -Can someone remind me who he killed?

Secondly can any of you remind me of a major political party anywhere on this island- which has no history with the gun

Thirdly-when it comes to " murder" etc can any of you tell me a side including the British not guilty of such crimes in our conflict

We give the British public a fools pardon on occasions such as this because you don't know/understand/care as regards the whole picture.

As regards him being proud of his Ira membership-I don't get your problem?

Are paratroopers proud of their membership-such a view would be seen as repugnant by most in MMGs home city

I admittedly have many issues with the mans choices but it's pointless indeed hypocritical in the extreme to highlight aspects in him which you have no problem with in others

Last edited:

teosgirl

Martin McGuiness dead
Firstly -Can someone remind me who he killed?

Secondly can any of you remind me of a major political party anywhere on this island- which has no history with the gun

Thirdly-when it comes to " murder" etc can any of you tell me a side including the British not guilty of such crimes in our conflict

We give the British public a fools pardon on occasions such as this because you don't know/understand/care as regards the whole picture

First.
We can't say who he killed because he would never name his victims. He never did outright deny killing anyone (as you can see in the interview for yourself).

Second.
Political parties having links to deaths due to agenda led policies is different from actually having a gun and firing it yourself I think.

Thirdly.
All crimes should be punished, murder especially. This man is no exception.

Let me ask you, the troubles in Ireland are complex, but Brexit has not triggered a bloody civil war even though one side wants one thing whilst the other wants another.

Why do you think that is?

The IRA were thugs and always will be...anyone who thinks they had a 'just cause' is an idiot.

Charlotte

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
Your comparison between Brexit and 700 years of colonial rule sadly reflect just how out of touch you are with, and ignorant of Irelands history.

Your idealistic attitude that " all crimes should be punished" again sadly reflects on your minuscule knowledge of our past as it was precisely because of endemic gross inequality and injustice by the statelet that many found themselves in MMGs position whereby he joined up in the first place-Paddy Ashdown, MP and former British Army Officer- not exactly a rabid Irish Republican-once said if roles were reversed he may well have followed MMGs footsteps

I have relatives, friends etc who too opted for that path and I refuse to bear judgement on them

As regards who should be regarded as " thugs" -that's totally subjective as if you ask in the area where MMG grew up who most count as murderous thugs it will be your troops

Last edited:

teosgirl

Martin McGuiness dead
Your comparison between Brexit and 700 years of colonial rule sadly reflect just how out of touch you are with, and ignorant of Irelands history.

Your idealistic attitude that " all crimes should be punished" again sadly reflects on your minuscule knowledge of our past as it was precisely because of endemic gross inequality and injustice by the statelet that many found themselves in MMGs position whereby he joins up in the first place-Paddy Ashdiwn, not exactly a rabid Irish Republican-once said if roles were reversed he may well have followed MMGs footsteps

As regards who should be regarded as " thugs" -that's totally subjective as if you ask in the area where MMG grew up who most count as murderous thugs it will be your troops

Philip,

The IRA is a terror organisation. Their crimes cannot be justified with the excuse because of endemic gross inequality and injustice by the statelet .

Charlotte

Martin McGuiness dead
If it wasn't for MMG the violence and the murders would still be going on by the Republicans, by the British army and by their Loyilist terrorists friends whom they were arming and working hand in glove with. We would also still be living with the state sponsored discrimination against the Nationalist community. There are people of course who have no problem with murders as long as it is their guys who are getting murdered and not ours. Warfare is just not like that. There of course would have been no need for any violence or murders had the British/Unionists been prepared to treat all people as equals and not had attempted to maintain "a Protestant state for a Protestant people"

Rest in peace MMG.

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
You are entitled to your opinion Teosgirl, as we are to ours

All I can say to you is for example for most in MMGs home city the worst "terror gang" would be the British in their various guises both in and out of uniform.

It's an old cliche but a very true one -One mans terrorist......

I also think it significant that politicians of every colour inc leading British ones-all recognise the role he played in trying to better the North of Ireland in his political position with SF

I have often commented his political views were different to my own but he and his party have a solid mandate here-something sadly lacking from parties who attempt to lecture us on our politics and our future

Last edited:

teosgirl

Martin McGuiness dead
You are entitled to your opinion Teosgirl, as we are to ours

All I can say to you is for example for most in MMGs home city the worst "terror gang" would be the British in their various guises both in and out of uniform.

It's an old cliche but a very true one -One mans terrorist......

I also think it significant that politicians of every colour inc leading British ones-all recognise the role he played in trying to better the North of Ireland in his political position with SF

I have often commented his political views were different to my own but he and his party have a solid mandate here-something sadly lacking from parties who attempt to lecture us on our politics and our future

Philip.

My initial comment was not a question and didn't require a response. I've made the comment I wished to make and as you say, we're all entitled to our opinions - just don't question mine and then say so!

The thread is titled Martin McGuiness dead. Making a comment should not require comparison to other people who have blood on their hands. That should be left for another thread *and feel free to start one*.

Charlotte

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
Unfortunately that's not the case.

In these situations EVERYTHINGS about context.

MMG nor the soldiers on Bloody Sunday-would ever have been in their respective positions in our history had it not been for fate/context.

It's impossible to take these subjects in isolation

You put a label on him-I put a different one because of context, background and our history.

As I have said repeatedly without knowing that context and history it's rather inaccurate to apportion blame

Last edited:

teosgirl

Martin McGuiness dead
Unfortunately that's not the case.

In these situations EVERYTHINGS about context.

MMG nor the soldiers on Bloody Sunday-would ever have been in their respective positions in our history had it not been for fate/context.

It's impossible to take these subjects in isolation

You put a label on him-I put a different one because of context, background and our history.

As I have said repeatedly without knowing that context and history it's rather inaccurate to apportion blame

Again, you're entitled to your opinion but I'll respectfully disagree.

Once again, good riddance.

Charlotte

Saoirse

Martin McGuiness dead
That's your opinion, each to their own

I posted a while back that I made a very regrettable error in gloating re another famous figures death .

I am reminded now that in a local paper at that time no less than MMG said such disrespect was" unacceptable as it was insulting to those friends relatives left behind"-regardless of someone's past

I know that views highly controversial but I sure regret my own postings at the time

TNT123

To Young to be This Old
Martin McGuiness dead
Although ''Gloating''(not my word but another member) about someone dying is totally despicable.But a rye smile was gıven when I read the news.The only sad thing to come out of this, is how many he killed and where are the bodies.May his soul rot in hell for eternity.

Martin McGuiness dead
"anyone who thinks they had a just cause is an idiot".

I would suggest that Teosgirl gets herself over to the North of Ireland and meet/speak with some of these 'idiots' because there seems to be an awful lot of them. Perhaps she might learn something. Or perhaps she would prefer to wallow in ignorance of her history, it's probably more comfortable for her that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom