AndreaS

Marrying in Turkey - 300 day wait for divorced women
Hi all. I am hoping to 'do the deed' and marry my Turkish partner over in Turkey within the next 6 months. I have read numerous websites with conflicting info about divorced women marrying in Turkey; some saying that you have to wait 300 days and others stating this rule no longer applies. Does anyone know the definitive answer? Thanks for your help :)

Nickees

Sorry Andrea I can't help you on this one. Just wanted to congratulate you both :eek:)

suzyq

I was reading an article recently in Todays Zaman about divorce and it was saying that a woman had to wait 300 days if she wanted to remarry.

Sara-666

It is still in force but I thought it only applied to Turkish Nationals, not foreigners? It's to ensure that the woman who is divorcing/being divorced is not carrying her ex-husbands baby! This is what the woman from the local belediye told us. Why don't you check for certain with the British Embassy/Turkish Embassy. We were told that as long as we bought our banns and divorce papers (if necessary) from England we could marry as soon as we'd had our blood tests and got all our paperwork together, took about 2 days in total, but that was 6 years ago.

Regards
Sara

Susan

Non Active Member
British Embassy > Marmaris > To Marry in Turkey
GUIDANCE FOR BRITISH NATIONALS INTENDING TO MARRY IN TURKEY
To marry in Turkey a Certificate of No Impediment is required. You may apply to the local Registrar in the town where you reside, well before your travel date or alternatively you may post your Notice of Marriage at the British Embassy in Ankara, the British Consulate in Izmir or Istanbul, or the British Vice-Consulate in Antalya.
Please be aware of the following

1) If you post your Notice of Marriage at a British Mission in Turkey, you should be resident in the country for twenty-one days before the Notice can be accepted.

2) You are then required to wait a further 21 days after posting the Notice of Marriage. Before your certificate of Non Impediment can be issued. You should also make a standard declaration confirming your marital status i.e. single, married, divorced, spinster or widow. In addition you should produce your passport/identification and that of your fiancée/fiancé. If applicable, your divorce or spouse's death certificate.

3) Turkish law requires that divorced woman, regardless of nationality, must wait for 300 days from the date of their decree absolute before applying to re-marry. However, you may apply to the local court in the town, where you intend to marry to have this period reduced or waived. Certain criteria must be met before a successful ruling from the court, including a negative pregnancy test from the local Turkish State hospital.
4) If you bring your Certificate of No Impediment from the UK, we will reproduce it in the local language, within one working day. You should also make a declaration and provide identification details as in (2) above.

5) Your certificate must then be legalised by the Turkish Authorities, either by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ankara or the Governor in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya.

Upon completion of the above you have fulfilled the criteria for a British National to marry in Turkey. Details of Fees for these services are given below.
* Notice Of Marriage - £ 35 GBP.
* Declaration - £ 30 GBP.
* Certificate of Non-Impediment - £ 30 GBP.

Note: All fees are paid in local currency at the current Consular Rate of Exchange.
THIS LEAFLET HAS BEEN PREPARED BY HM CONSULATE IN ANKARA FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF ENQUIRERS
ALTHOUGH ALL CARE HAS BEEN TAKEN IN ITS PRODUCTION NEITHER HER MAJESTY'S GOVERNMENT NOR ANY CONSULAR OFFICIAL IN THE BRITISH EMBASSY IN ANKARA TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS PRECISE ACCURACY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY ACTION TAKEN IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS CONTENTS.
Consular Section
British Embassy
Ankara

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
It really only applies if you are strict Muslims. If you read the Qu'ran, the 300 day period is advised and on the face of it seems quite sensible. The advise also applies to widows.

AndreaS

Thank you for your replies everyone. I have checked on the Turkish Consulate website and it is not listed as a requirement. Looks like it will be a winter wedding in Gaziantep afterall. :)

Jules11

Hi there, I was wondering if you successfully got married without waiting the 300 day period?

Akasya

Postless Pointer
A few missing names from the contributors on this thread.

Biker Bob , Susan , KKob.

Steve

Avid

Divorced shes skint he has new Irish girlfriend and iPhone 7 and still hasn't discovered deoderant

Top Bottom