yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
marmalade
I am just watching linsey making marmalade, (not much on tv)
Is it possible to get seville or similar oranges in Turkey, most of the oranges I have bought are the sweet eating varieties

martin

marmalade
There is an orange called turunç that is very similar to a seville orange. It makes a great marmalade.

Also you can get a green mandarin which also makes a lovely jam.

Soo x

marmalade
the oranges you see on the trees in the winter are turunc and they have more bite...a lot of women make jam with them and also use the peel ..i really mis a nice tangy marmalade.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
marmalade
I have this amazing recipe for Microwave Orange Marmalade.

iNGREDIENTS

275g oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
500g sugar

Method

1. Cut the oranges into quarters and remove pips. put lemon shells and pips into a muslin square and tie with string to make a bag. Finely slice the oranges and put into a 3 litre bowl with the bag, lemon juice and 300ml of boiling water, cover and soak for 1 hour.

2. Add 200ml of boiling water. Microwave on high for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until the peel is tender. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, microwave on high for 25 minutes until setting point is reached, stirring every 5 minutes. Be careful as the mixture does get very hot.

3. Stand for 15 minutes, then stir and ladle into jars.

I find that the oranges very rarely have pips so I put the lemon shells with the oranges.
I use a food processor to chop up the fruit.
I find that the timings given are good and even when the final 25 minutes is up although it looks pretty runny it does set to a nice consistency. If you want it thicker then add more time.

If anyone interested I also have a Microwave Lemon marmalade recipe.

:468bo:

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
marmalade
I have this amazing recipe for Microwave Orange Marmalade.

iNGREDIENTS

275 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
500g sugar

Method

1. Cut the oranges into quarters and remove pips. put lemon shells and pips into a muslin square and tie with string to make a bag. Finely slice the oranges and put into a 3 litre bowl with the bag, lemon juice and 300ml of boiling water, cover and soak for 1 hour.

2. Add 200ml of boiling water. Microwave on high for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until the peel is tender. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, microwave on high for 25 minutes until setting point is reached, stirring every 5 minutes. Be careful as the mixture does get very hot.

3. Stand for 15 minutes, then stir and ladle into jars.

I find that the oranges very rarely have pips so I put the lemon shells with the oranges.
I use a food processor to chop up the fruit.
I find that the timings given are good and even when the final 25 minutes is up although it looks pretty runny it does set to a nice consistency. If you want it thicker then add more time.

If anyone interested I also have a Microwave Lemon marmalade recipe.

:468bo:
You must have a big microvave to fit in 275 oranges !!!!!!!!!!

He He He !!

Mrs Yalimart

marmalade
Hi Yalimart,,,its a shame that we are in uk at the mo as we have a turunc tree in our garden and it is full of oranges which are just perfect for making marmalade,,,my friend used them last year and the marmalade was really good,,,you would have been welcome to them,,,

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
marmalade
Recipe (sans microwave) in Guardian:

This is a quick guide (for further insight, turn to Pam Corbin's River Cottage marmalade handbook). Arm yourself with some muslin, string, a good heavy-based saucepan and buy or borrow a proper sugar thermometer.

Makes about three jars

400g Seville oranges (about four)

1 lemon

1 litre water

800g white sugar

1 tsp soft dark brown sugar (optional but it makes the colour rosier)

▶ With a potato peeler or sharp knife remove all the orange zest in strips, cut away any white pith then shred the zest and tie it in a small square of muslin. Finely slice the oranges; pith, flesh, juice and all, and the whole lemon, and tip into a heavy saucepan. Add the water and your muslin bag of zest and simmer for about two hours until the pith is tender.

▶ Pick out the bag holding the zest, and leave to drain on a plate. Line a colander with a few layers of muslin, place over a bowl, tip in the contents of the pan, and leave to drip for an hour - you need all the liquid as it contains the vital pectin that makes the marmalade set. You could squeeze any remaining juice from the pith, but it will make the marmalade slightly cloudy.

▶ You should have about 750ml of liquid. Boil it down if you have more, or add water if you have less.

▶ Return the liquid to the pan, add the zest from the bag, and the sugar. Bring to the boil, then quickly simmer until it reaches 104C. Keep the temperature constant for five minutes. A spoonful on a cold saucer should form a crinkly skin after cooling for five minutes. If it doesn't, simmer for a few minutes more; but you may have to settle for soft-set. Switch off the heat, leave for 20 minutes, spoon the marmalade into hot, sterilised jars, seal with cellophane and rubber bands and leave somewhere cool overnight to set to a jelly.

Oranges are not the only fruit
Other fruits give curious flavours to marmalade. Lemon marmalade tastes of sherbet, navel oranges taste like caramel, and grapefruit gains a dark complexity. But they all need a little help to set. What I do is chop (skin, pips and all) a small bramley apple and puree with 500ml water in a blender, then strain and add the liquid (no pulp) to the pot when I cook the fruit. The pectin from the apple will ensure a good set.

SAMIMI

marmalade
I made some marmalade today with only 9 mandarin oranges. There are about 15 pips in each orange! so it takes time to get them all out.

Attachments

• Turkey 2010 004.JPG
    Turkey 2010 004.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 8

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
marmalade
Mine is in the slow cooker now in preparation for the final stage tomorrow.

Picked the turunç(?) oranges in Fethiye centrum yesterday.

Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
marmalade
Mine is in the slow cooker now in preparation for the final stage tomorrow.

Picked the turunç(?) oranges in Fethiye centrum yesterday.

Ian
Did you "STEAL" them ????

If so they will taste so much better !!!

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
marmalade
the oranges you see on the trees in the winter are turunc and they have more bite...a lot of women make jam with them and also use the peel ..i really mis a nice tangy marmalade.
Hi Shirley, I just came across this whilst searching for Seville oranges, if you know some one coming from the UK, get them to bring you a tin of Seville Orange pulp, it's in Tesco's I brought one back with me because I like Marmalade, all you do is heat the contents of the tin with water and sugar bring to a rolling boil for 10 to 15minutes and that's it, pour into sterilised jars put on the lid and Bob's your uncle you have 5/6 jars of good Marmalade.

marmalade
thanks Ray...i have a friend coming over next month and shes always asking what to bring...now i know...better than asking for just a jar.

apart from marmalade Turkish jams are far too sweet..but i recently came across Tansaş own brand apricot/kayısı which has a bit more tang than the usual ones.

Last edited:
marmalade
.....I've made some Marmalade recently (first time ever) and it's lovely and quite tangy.... a tip I was given was to add a grapefruit as well as the oranges if I couldn't get Seville ones.... which İ did along with a lemon, all part of the recipe....

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
marmalade
thanks Ray...i have a friend coming over next month and shes always asking what to bring...now i know...better than asking for just a jar.

apart from marmalade Turkish jams are far too sweet..but i recently came across Tansaş own brand apricot/kayısı which has a bit more tang than the usual ones.
Since making this first lot, I have been thinking next time, I will chop some stem ginger, (home made) and add that along with a splash of Whiskey.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom