bickern

Margaret Spencer - Woman of courage.
I had never heard of her until today when reading of her passing and thinking how many more silent hero's of the fairer sex exist and how many have died that have taken their stories to the grave.

------------------------------------------------------

The incredible story of a spy who parachuted into Nazi-occupied Europe disguised as a nun has been revealed after she died aged 94.
Just before her death Margaret Spencer wrote of her days as a Second World War spy, being shot in the back by a German sniper and caught by the Gestapo.
She had been silent for 50 years after signing the Official Secrets Act - and her account was a shock to all but her closest friends and family in her village near Eastbourne, East Sussex.

She finally revealed her life story in memoirs which her family handed to her local newspaper, the Eastbourne Herald, after her death last month.
Mrs Spencer said she had been recruited at the start of the war, given a Colt 45 and instructed to round up German spies and Communists along the south coast - all while working as a nurse.

'During all these activities my husband was in complete ignorance,' she wrote. 'He just thought I was busy at the hospital.
'Secrecy meant just that, not even your nearest and dearest knew about your double life.'
During one of her daring missions she told how she was captured by the brutal Nazi secret police, the Gestapo.
Her published memoirs do not reveal how she escaped - but she lived to tell the tale.

Read more: Nurse who parachuted into Nazi-occupied Europe dressed as NUN dies aged 94 | Mail Online

------------------------------------------------

If you read the story above I hope you are moved.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom