lakegl

Management Committee
Hi everyone
I am still concerned about the management fees and the use of them for the past year. And how we will manage from now on. Has anyone had an approach about the January meeting? I know Mary is keen to be on the committee.
It is going to need some managing if we are to have first choice and thomas cook clients there.
Should we think about having a meeting, say after christmas, over here. (or a few regional ones)? Maybe with a bit more formality - I would be happy to take minutes at the meeting i attend and circulate so we can be a bit more organised.
I am open to any ideas at all but we all seem to be a bit vague and as long as we are vague Ufuk seems to be in control!
glenda

Last edited:

Jon & Mia

Management Committee
Glenda

I think the problem we have is that we are all over here and it really needs someone who knows about the laws in Turkey. Ideally an ex pat who is living in Turkey permanently. I have to confess we were naive when we bought through Prime. We relied on them to tell us what had to be signed and when. Of course they did this for the initial purchase but now they have their "cut" their job is done. Nobody told us about all the ongoing expences, rules and requirements. They make it seem like buying a car, You buy it, use it and do a bit of maintenance here and there - but the reality is that it is almost a full time endeavour.
Is there anyone who is going to be resident on the site who is interested in taking on a committee role (No put your hand down Mr Ufuk !!!!)

Jon

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
I agree with you Glenda - we desperately need to get the Committee organised. The question is how to organise ourselves. I have already asked for volunteers to get us started but Mary was the only one who put herself forward. So, in order to get it up and running I will volunteer also. I, personally, would like to see Jon involved (although he has already stated why he feels he can't) and also Lartisse (not sure how to spell it!). I also think Madwife and, you, Glenda would make excellent contributions.

The main problem is that we are not all on the complex at the same time. When I spoke to Utku about the January meeting he explained that "January" was just a suggestion because the site was supposed to be finished in "December" but as the site was late then the meeting will probably be June/July maybe. However, the longer we go with no input the worse it is for us.

If we could at least get volunteers from different areas in the UK then we could hold regional meetings here and then the "main guys" from each area could get together via e-mail, phone, etc. to give the feedback from these meetings. However, the "main guys" would have to be ones who are going regularly to Turkey or better still actually living there. These meetings would have to be "official" i.e. not just turn into a social occasion.

There are quite a few going over for Xmas/New Year so perhaps something can be done then? We were not planning to come over at that time but if something could be organised (re the committee) then we would gladly go to the expense of a trip over.

So come on - people who have an apartment on the Hillside please consider volunteering to be part of the committee so we can at least start getting organised.

One question though: Does everyone who owns an apartment on the Hillside come onto the forum. If not, then we would need to find some way of contacting them to give them the chance of standing as well. Any suggestions? (I assume that once we have a committee up and running this info would be available - but would if be readily available prior to the initial committee line-up because of data protection?).

Cate

lakegl

Management Committee
I still have that email that Utku sent last september to literally everybody who owed money giving us all each others email addresses.
Should one of us use that to make contact without divulging it publicly?
Glenda

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
Good thinking - I had forgotten about that!

Is anyone interested in an active role on the Committee - or should we women just go ahead and start the ball rolling. I, for one, certainly do not want to tread on toes but we really do need to get cracking.

Cate

lakegl

Management Committee
Cate
Well, I am certainly interested in getting involved in UK meetings. I would do more but can't see myself affording to go (time or money) over there more than a couple of times a year.
Let's get the ball rolling on that basis.
PM me your email address and I can re-send the Utku email to you and we can decide how we best approach everyone.
Glenda

Bill & June

Dreaming of Akbuk
Management Committee
Hi Glenda,
We agree with all that you and Cate are saying, much as we would love to get involved on the committee we just could not spend the time involved in Turkey. We do believe however with Cate that we need to make our voice heard as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Bill & June. :20:

Management Committee
Hi Guys,

Yes, I will be more than happy to be on a committe but not lets get carried away here. We cannot go forming committees without the consent of everyone who owns a property on the hillside. We do not have the e-mail for everyone. At least 6 of the addresses Ufuk used on that e-mail to the world and his wife were returned to me as 'not known'. There must also be people out there that didn't owe him anything and may not have been sent an e-mail.

Are you talking about actually running the site ourselves when you talk about a management committee or just a collective voice to the management people when they are established. We must remember that this is not just a committee to run the place. It must be run as a full blown business with all the responsibilites that go with it.Perhaps we should do some homework regarding how many sites are actually run by the owners. I think I am right in saying that that is how the co-operatives work but someone will put me right if I am wrong.

To run a site this size is no mean feat and I for one would not do it without some financial reward. We would pay an outside mangement team so why should we do it for free. It would also be impossible to do it from a distance. You must have people onsite or at least in Turkey most of the year if not all of the year. If we do manage to find the right people on site, how would we go regarding employment laws? We have looked into buying or running cafes in the past and you do have to have at least a Turkish manager. I do not know anyone I would personally trust with this role. Does anybody?

I know this reads as me pouring cold water on your ideas, but it is going to a costly exercise both in time and money to do what you are asking and it would be a shame to waste all the hard work that would have been done. If we did manage to get something off the ground, only to have it rejected by something or someone, I doubt we would put ourselves up to do it again and that would be a shame. We have some great characters here and they would be invaluable in anything we try.

I am still of the opinion thet Ufuk runs the site for 5 years anyway but will get he who should be obeyed to check that one out for me.

I would love to be on your committee and feel honoured that no-one has stood up and said "oh no not her"..... not to me anyway, but I also feel that we must tread cautiously.

We are over from 27th Dec till 4th Jan. We are going to try to pin Mr Ufuk down for a proper discussion about various bits and pieces. Not over a drink at his bar, but in the office where it is quiet, and we can take notes. We will be only too pleased to ask him questions regarding this issue if you like. He can be elusive at times as I know we all know. The Scarlet Pimpernel could have learned a trick or two from him!!!!!!!! but we will do our bestest.!!!!!!!

Duck Andrew....incoming............................................:behindsof

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Management Committee
hi guys, I have been reading your thread with interest having been through it myself.
I can tell you that in Turkey at the Agm you only need to establish a quorum to vote on decisions. A quorum in Turkey is a simple majority ie 51 % in other words if 51 % of owners attend or give proxie votes then the decisions can be made and must be entered into the decision book (which will probably already exist) and should be notarised, you should also have a site management plan.
It does need to run on a business footing and can be very time consuming.

but good luck with it

martin

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
Hi Martin

This is a new complex with only about half the apartments sold. All we know is that we are supposed to form a committee to attend to the management of the complex. As we are all scattered, i.e. none of us actually live in Turkey we don't really know what to do.

Any advice, guidance, etc. you can give us will be most helpful. To date the builder is maintaining the site but we have been told there will be an AGM in January and I am under the impression that we need to form a committee. Is this right?

As I said above any help and guidance will be most appreciated.

Cate

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Management Committee
I am no expert I just have the experience of taking on the auditor role, my wife was the auditor the following year
You do need to form a committee, if only half the houses are sold then the half that are not sold would probably give the developer/builder the votes accordingly ie 50 sold would give 50 home owners votes, 50 unsold would give the owner 50 votes
All I would say is if you do form a committee be prepared for some hard work especially at first, you will have to have a workable budget so you need to be aware of the costs of everything from gardens to pools etc, if you set that budget and it is agreed at the agm the owner of the unsold properties will then be responsible for the monthly payments, try putting that one into practice !
There are other far more experienced people than me on this forum who can probably help more, have thought about contacting Celtic for a generic site plan and some advice, he is usually happy to help and takes a small donation, well worth it in my opinion.
if you pm me your e mail adress I have some documentation that may help

martin

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
Hi Martin

I have pm'd you - thanks.

We have another apartment on a complex in Altinkum but we do not have a management committee. The builder maintains the complex and we just pay an annual fee. The builder is very good and the complex is kept immaculate and we have no problems. Any requests made to the builder are dealt with immediately.

I thought this is how it would it would work here also but we were suddenly confronted with a management plan which means we need to form a committee and there is supposed to be an AGM in January. Its not really a case of anyone wanting to form a committee. It has just been put upon us. Obviously the "committee proper" would be voted in at the AGM but I am just trying to get the ball rolling so at least when the time comes we will have some idea of what is going on and be prepared.

Cate

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Management Committee
Hi Cate

The management plan is a legal requirement and must be notarised as such, does the builder not want to take it on ?

martin

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
Well, Martin this is the problem ----- we really do not know.

The management plan rattles on about an Owners Committee of which each and every apartment owner is a member. It then goes on to say that 3 members of that committee have to form a management committee...... it really is not clear at all.

By the way the plan that I have does not look as though it has been notarised. Even if it is a copy then surely any notorisation would have been copied too. So don't know what that means. Everyone who signed-off their apartment was given a copy but I haven't signed yet ('cos my snagging still hasn't been done) so received a copy from a neighbour.

Cate

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Management Committee
Hi Cate
it sounds like a generic plan, thats not a problem, you can have more than 3 on the committee. How many home owners are there, what is the make up of nationalities etc
If you cant form a quorum at the first meeting you then have a second meeting say a week later You can publish both dates in advance, at the second meeting it is my understanding that a quorum is not required, if there are 35 eligible votes from a community of say 100 then decisions can be made by the majority of the 35.
You cannot make plans without understanding your finances for instance if you set a figure of 100 TL per house for maintainance without actually seeing the accounts first you will no doubt run into trouble.
my advice is do as you are doing and get as much info from people like myself who have had involvement, speak to a good english speaking lawyer who understands the law surrounding sitesis, and I would also advise you speak to a good well reccomended site management company, who will run the site on your behalf, you as the committee direct them.
when you form your committee make sure that the people who are on it really want to get involved and just dont want to be in the know as happened on our site.

you will need a chairperson, vice chair, treasurer, if you can find someone who is knowledgable in building maintainance for a practical view on things that would help as in turkey as in the uk there will always be people telling you you need a new roof when in fact you need just a few tiles.

The chair would usually not pay maintainance payments, the rest of the committee would, the treasurer would be typically responsible for checking the accounts and contacting non and late payers and reporting to the committee

you would also need an auditor (completely independent of the committee) who would audit the accounts and the decisions made by the committee who would report to the home owners

sounds daunting but if you can get the right people together its not so bad.

martin

Chinook

Management Committee
We live on a site of some 44 houses which has been in existance for some 20 years which is self managed and the committee of management works largely as yalimart has said. If there not 50% of owners at the first AGM meeting then it is reconvened the following week and those present form an acceptable quorum . Proxy votes are accepted and authoritiesdo not need to be notarised. trust this helps

Bill & Cate

Management Committee
Hi Lartiste - many thanks for this. I cannot get the second one to print out. It is too small and when I try to enlarge it then the content cannot be read. Please help

Cate

Jon & Mia

Management Committee
Just a thought but why apportion costs according to the size of teh appartment? There are twelve appartments in each block. Simply devide costs by 12. Otherwise you will get people arguing that top floor appartments should pay more because they are responsible for the roof maintenance and more of the stairs as they have to use 3 flights whereas ground floor have no roof and don't use the stairs. Or that the middle floor appartments have more frontage to paint.

Keep it simple 12 appartments - divide all costs equally

Latest Posts

Top Bottom