Make your own Bacon
I watched a cooking program today on curing and thought I would give it a go, it sound really easy.

To make your own bacon, you will need a piece of pork, they used loin (for back bacon) but you could also you belly (streaky)
Brown sugar any sort, dark brown, light brown, maple syrup, treacle etc
Salt

Sprinkle the meat with plenty of sugar and put in the fridge for a day or so, wipe of the excess liquid and cover with salt put back in the fridge for another day or so then rinse the meat and your bacon is ready.

Dont know if this will be any good for all you bacon cravers over in Turkey obviously only if you can get your hands on some pork or perhaps some wild boar would work.

Anyway will let you know how it goes.

Jane

hijo

in my own clique
Make your own Bacon
..no problem getting a wild boar here but making bacon is simple enough...problem woud be slicing it ..maybe my local kasap..would do it for me ..then again would they let pork touch there slicer..i would think not:38:

Make your own Bacon
..no problem getting a wild boar here but making bacon is simple enough...problem woud be slicing it ..maybe my local kasap..would do it for me ..then again would they let pork touch there slicer..i would think not:38:

Hi

The reason I fancied trying it, is that last week I bought some fantastic streaky bacon from a high class butchers in our area and it was cut by hand, about 5mm to 10mm thick if not thicker.

I grilled it slowly until all the fat had crisped up and the rind (which you never get on bacon these days) was crunchy, it was absolutely delicious and because it was thick you only need a couple of slices each.

So mines in the fridge at the moment curing and will cut it by hand and let you know how it turns out.

Jane

Make your own Bacon
Just to let you know the bacon turned out really good and quite easy to cut by hand, I never thought it would be that easy.

Have a go and let me know what you think, you dont have to make large quantities, I just used a small piece of belly pork about 400g.

Jane

Latest Posts

Top Bottom